• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The good, the bad, and everything else between

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So our family has been in full hunting mode this past weekend so didn't get to watch the game until this evening as my wife decided she needed her rifle sighted in for deer season this next year right when the game started. Anyway overall really liked what I saw especially on the defensive side of the ball and thought I would share some of my thoughts here on the game. Anybody can disagree or add to this whatever they want.

After our embarrassing loss last week I think we all needed a game like this where we just stepped on the throat of an opponent and truly did what a dominant team should do to such a bad team as the Raiders. Having said that there were some things that just left me ticked off especially with our offense. Now realize when I say ticked off I am just nitpicking here as they did well.

Offense
1) What the heck was up with our unbalanced offense once again?! Peyton was throwing something like 4 out of every 5 plays to start off the game. Anytime you get an 80/20 split on passing to running you are going to be in trouble. It looked like the Raiders dared us to run and either Gase or Peyton said "nope we are still going to pass." It allowed them to tee off on Peyton for that first quarter and rattle him. This is 2 games in a row where we have gotten so out of balance. Thankfully we got that corrected a bit later in the game some but man the run game was working yet we wouldn't use it.

2) Is it just me or has Peyton been pressing a little more than usual? I saw in that first quarter where the first pick he threw was into I think triple coverage. Peyton has always been a match up guy where he looks for the guy in single coverage so just seems like these last couple of weeks he has just wanted to really push it into tighter windows than he needs to.

3) Now onto some good. I like this new set up for the OL. I thought this was our best showing blocking wise for running the football. There were plays the RB actually was not being touched until 3-4 yards down the field. That is how you dominate a game. They had some miscommunications early on with the penalties and such but I do think moving forward we might have finally found our unit that works the best in both the run and pass game.

4) Speaking of running glad to see CJ Anderson get a chance to be the featured back. No clue who it will be next week but always thought he was a good guy who just was always on the outside when it came to chances to prove himself. Also thankfully Ball is coming back this next week with Hillman now out a few weeks. Hopefully that group can all get healthy come playoff time but the great thing is they are all getting some great experience before the playoffs.

Defense
Now here is the unit that I think we could brag about on just about every level in my opinion. The DL is the best run stopping unit in the NFL no question. Teams have just given up trying it seems like. They also applied a ton of pressure. I know they didn't register a sack but that doesn't tell the tale of how they did. There is a reason Carr kept going for the underneath throw on all those 3rd downs and ending up short. The pressure was getting there and the deep passes just were not there.

Linebacking group is just a bunch of no names other than Von Miller all playing right now and they looked good. They were flying to the ball and were very sound in their tackling. Very impressed with the young guys right now.

Secondary probably played their most complete game of the season in my opinion. Before that final drive they had held Carr under a hundred yards on 40 passes. He was averaging just over 2 yards per pass! Let that sink in because that is about as dominant as you get in the passing game. It did stink to have such a dominant performance have to go the way of garbage time but the defense definitely responded to the embarrassing game from last week and put together a very good all around game.

All in all another win for the team against a divisional opponent and finally a very good road win against a team that honestly is not as bad as their record. Have to remember this team on the road against the Seahawks and Patriots took them down to the final drive. Same with the Chargers. So good win and escaped with minimal injuries again.