• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Saturday Night Football: Lions @ Cowboys, 12/30/23, 8:15 ET

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again just another of many fuck ups by the Lions coach
There was the dumb call early in the game, but it was 100% the right call to go for 2 and I don't think it was as obvious he should have kicked the XP after the penalty as many seem to think. He was going for HFA and a tie knocks them out for that. He needed a win. On the road lets call it a 45% chance they win if they go to OT? Heck, call it 50/50. Isn't it slightly more than 50/50 they complete a pass there? I'm not saying I would have gone for it after the penalty, I'm just saying in that situation it isn't obviously wrong.

Also don't forget Dallas had 23 seconds and a TO and a kicker who can reach from the 50 yard line in that stadium. It's tougher to make a 70 yarder when losing then when tied.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the ref didn't cheat for Dallas, that's why I've said the ref made a mistake and that happens.

If #70 did talk to the ref, why did the NFL punish the ref? It's clear that he didn't follow the protocol. :noidea:

It affected the game in a big way. It backed them up 5 yards on the two point conversion. To act like that doesn't make a difference is disingenuous. It doesn't mean they complete the conversion, but it made a huge difference in that play.
Again, how does that matter? If it was handled correctly by the ref the play would have been run with no penalty. They either would have succeeded or failed. There would have been no second attempt from 5 yards further out.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was right next to the ref when he reported. Goff. In the post game interview said that has standing right there listening. Was he lying?

Again, I've watched the video and #70 isn't within 5 yards of the ref at any time during that exchange with the ref. I may have missed it.

Also, do you have a link where Goff said that? I haven't heard that interview yet. Thanks for the info!

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awkward Hiding GIF by StubHub

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was the dumb call early in the game, but it was 100% the right call to go for 2 and I don't think it was as obvious he should have kicked the XP after the penalty as many seem to think. He was going for HFA and a tie knocks them out for that. He needed a win. On the road lets call it a 45% chance they win if they go to OT? Heck, call it 50/50. Isn't it slightly more than 50/50 they complete a pass there? I'm not saying I would have gone for it after the penalty, I'm just saying in that situation it isn't obviously wrong.

Also don't forget Dallas had 23 seconds and a TO and a kicker who can reach from the 50 yard line in that stadium. It's tougher to make a 70 yarder when losing then when tied.

But if he did not make the dumb call early in the game and taken the 3 points in the first half he has a 2 point lead at the end of the game and can then decide to kick for the point or go for 2. No matter the choice he makes he most likely wins as it would be hard for the cowboys to get in range to tie the game if they did make a field goal. The coach cost them the Thanksgiving game doing dumb shit and by not kicking a field goal against the Cowboys.

If you add 2 wins onto the Lions victories they are most likely the 1 seed.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You watch it. The call was tripping not holding. It was Hutchison clear as day. Don't pretend you don't see it
No one was tripped on the play but Hutchinson does look like he was trying to stick his leg out. The call was on Hendershot who clearly held Hutchinson. It should have been 1st and 20 and not 1st and 25.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if he did not make the dumb call early in the game and taken the 3 points in the first half he has a 2 point lead at the end of the game and can then decide to kick for the point or go for 2. No matter the choice he makes he most likely wins as it would be hard for the cowboys to get in range to tie the game if they did make a field goal. The coach coast them the Thanksgiving game and by not kicking a field goal against the Cowboys.

If you add 2 wins onto the Lions victories they are most likely the 1 seed.
The drive he went for it and didn’t kick the field goal was on the successful fake punt in his own territory. You take the good and the bad. Hes an aggressive coach. When you rise to this level in a profession you have to be who you are and conduct your business in that way. Hes been very successful with this kind of an approach. I would imagine players love playing for this guy.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one was tripped on the play but Hutchinson does look like he was trying to stick his leg out. The call was on Hendershot who clearly held Hutchinson. It should have been 1st and 20 and not 1st and 25.
Horseshit. The call was tripping and you just admitted Hutchinson "stuck out his leg". Guess what sticking out your leg equals lmao. Homer

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horseshit. The call was tripping and you just admitted Hutchinson "stuck out his leg". Guess what sticking out your leg equals lmao. Homer
I’m not a Lions fan?!?!? Weird. Tripping isn’t usually called unless someone is tripped. I think the crew fucked up. There was no trip. There was a hold on Hendershot.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not a Lions fan?!?!? Weird. Tripping isn’t usually called unless someone is tripped. I think the crew fucked up. There was no trip. There was a hold on Hendershot.
They didn't accidentally call tripping instead of holding lmao. The ref saw the trip.
Micah was held 14 times. Go watch the all 22

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't accidentally call tripping instead of holding lmao.
You sure? That crew has been revealed to be retarded.
The ref saw the trip.
Micah was held 14 times. Go watch the all 22
I believe it. Holding doesn’t get called enough and Parsons hasn’t gotten a holding call in months.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really hard to watch this game and think 'man, one of these teams is the 3rd best team in football' when the coaching at the end of the game was so terrible. The talent is there for both teams to make a run.

I would've liked to have seen the Cowboys actually have to go down the field at the end instead of Goff getting 3 tries at the end. I think the Cowboys even called a timeout so the Lions were probably using their 4th best play at the end of it all. Should've just kicked it once the illegal touching penalty was called.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its really hard to watch this game and think 'man, one of these teams is the 3rd best team in football' when the coaching at the end of the game was so terrible. The talent is there for both teams to make a run.

I would've liked to have seen the Cowboys actually have to go down the field at the end instead of Goff getting 3 tries at the end. I think the Cowboys even called a timeout so the Lions were probably using their 4th best play at the end of it all. Should've just kicked it once the illegal touching penalty was called.

But can't that always be said when something doesn't work? I mean, the fake punt that the Lions did deep on their side of the field was an awful risky call, until it worked, then it was a great call.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I don't think Campbell was a terrible coach at the end of the game. I think he should have kicked the XP, but if he had converted it, my opinion would have quickly changed.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see any evidence that it was done incorrectly by the Lions. It appears from the disciplinary action taken by the NFL, and the video footage, that the Lions did what they were suppose to do. The play worked as called and it should have been the ballgame. I think the refs just messed up the numbers. It wasn't fair to the Cowboys, and it's not a playoff game, so it doesn't bother me that much, but I just don't understand how people are critical of Campbell and the Lions. Perhaps more evidence will come out showing they did something wrong, but it appears to me (a biased Lions fan) that the Lions did everything they could to prep the refs for this situation, and followed procedures. I think this mistake falls solely on the ref.
The evidence is Campbell was trying to confuse Dallas, too bad his rogue worked so well he confused the refs.

I'm sure the NFL will make it a rule only the player identifying as eligible will be allowed to approach the ref next season. Offenses cannot have too many in the huddle so the defense isnt deceived, they will use the same logic here.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a good look for the NFL when Dan Campbell can out smart the refs LOL

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the subterfuge of the shell game that was being played was throw three lineman over at the ref to get Dallas wondering. 68, 70 and one other guy they were all right there in the refs face. And 68 had already been on the field, 70s running onto the field as part of the subterfuge. It sounds simple, but obviously it was too fucking complicated for all the parties involved to execute properly. I’m still not losing any sleep over this. Maybe if they had a real rocket scientist like Matt Patricia running it might have worked.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was bull shit. The infraction was a hold by Hendershot. I don’t know how they called a trip. It should have been 1st and 20 and not 1st and 25.

They get 15 yards for holding? I don’t think so. It was called as a trip and they got the wrong guy. I’d be much more bothered by this if we hadn’t won.