• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

San Diego Padres Ongoing Thread

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[MEDIA=twitter]344237641979543552[/MEDIA]

Surprised Gyorko had to go to the DL and also that John Baker was DFA.

Better to be safe than sorry with Gyorko. As for Baker, I'm not surprised. The Padres have plenty of depth at catcher. I honestly don't know why the starter at Triple A hasn't been called up.

Did you get a chance to watch Hunter Renfro the Padres 1st round pick against Virginia in the Super Regionals? He just looks like a big time athlete. I thought the Padres had a solid draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you get a chance to watch Hunter Renfro the Padres 1st round pick against Virginia in the Super Regionals? He just looks like a big time athlete. I thought the Padres had a solid draft.

I have been so busy I just didn't pay much attention to the draft.

This is a little bit of news. I'm just surprised that we had to trade for an INF.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This could be very interesting.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Padres hadn't started 5-15, they'd have their best record ever right now.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big news if this guy will finally stay off cocaine and just play baseball.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My GIF-tastic gift to Padre fans on this fine friday.

The Padres made three great defensive plays between the seventh and eighth innings to help them beat the Dodgers in Petco on Thursday. The neat thing about the catches -- outside of the general excellence of the catches themselves -- is that none of the three Padres who made the plays are starters: injuries to second baseman Jedd Gyorko, left fielder Carlos Quentin, and center fielder Cameron Maybin, respectively, helped lead these three to defensive glory.

First up, Logan Forsythe, who runs into the outfield to make a catch that Alexi Amarista won't be able to from center field:

The over-the-shoulder grab is a classic, of course, and unlike some situations where the infielder might have overstepped their bounds and taken an easily fieldable ball from an outfielder, it looks as if this was going to drop in.
Next, we've got Chris Denorfia, with the in-the-stands tumble on a foul ball. He leaves no question as to whether he held on when he landed:

Not to be outdone, Amarista, who couldn't get to the ball an inning earlier but was saved by Forsythe, has his own web gem. Check out how far towards left-center he is when the camera switches to an outfield viewpoint...

...compared to where he landed in right-center. Who needs regulars when you've got backups like these three?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bill Center offers some good news from the minors.

Catcher Rene Rivera has been named the starting catcher for the Pacific Coast League in the Triple-A All-Star game scheduled for July 17 at Reno.

And some righties did good.

Meanwhile, right-handed pitching prospects Matt Andriese (one hit over seven innings for Tucson), Matt Wisler (two hits over six innings for San Antonio) and Justin Hancock (four hits and two walks over five innings for Lake Elsinore) all turned in shutout performances Wednesday.

braves66boy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck, Padres. Hopefully you can snap your 6 game losing streak and beat the Nats. I am cheering for you to take 2 of 3 from the Nats.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see Ryan Klesko in the owner's box at Petco tonight? As usual, there seemed to be gorgeous gals in the vicinity.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said in the NL West Talk thread, at least the Padres picked a good time to lose 10 straight.

HighNTight_SD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres have lost infielder Pedro Ciriaco to the Kansas City Royals on a waiver claim.

*and yet we still have to pay Boston for him ... worse still, Kotsay is still taking up space on the 25 man roster

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres have lost infielder Pedro Ciriaco to the Kansas City Royals on a waiver claim.

*and yet we still have to pay Boston for him ... worse still, Kotsay is still taking up space on the 25 man roster

Please tell me you're joking.

Edit: I see that you're not. I'm baffled that we didn't have anyone in our system who could come up and play instead of renting Ciriaco. The guy was solid but I guess there were no options left. This makes as much sense to me as us literally giving the Dodgers John Baker.

HighNTight_SD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Dee is returning to the Padres as President and CEO.

Padres lead investor Peter Seidler and executive chairman Ron Fowler made the announcement Wednesday morning, confirming earlier reports that Dee would be leaving the Miami Dolphins to return to the Padres.

“I am thrilled to be coming home to San Diego,” said Dee

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Byrnes be fired next?

Good question. He's made some puzzling moves that don't seem to fit any kind of plan. I'd sure love to have Kevin Towers back!!!