• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sam Martin Wins NFC Special Teams Player of the Week

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, that's comparing him to the best in the business, not to the average GM.

The Packers are known for not signing free agents and only developing in house talent. I don't think anyone at all will argue that Mayhew is a better GM then Ted Thompson.

I think TrustMe nailed it when he said that Mayhew's downfall is with his 2nd to 4th round picks. Those guys should be the core of our team, and we just haven't gotten anything out of them. Not many GMs hit on late round (5th - 7th) picks, and generally, the better the team the less late round picks make the roster...

But as long as the Packers are in our division Mayhew has to be better than Thompson. Raise your game or be Green Bays bitch!

With that being said I will give the Lions credit for this offseason -

Bell is better than LeShoure and they are not just playing Leshoure due to his draft status!

Waddle is a solid UDFA and IMO will be a starter for the Lions.

Fauria is a stud in training. He will replace Scheffler before the end of the season IMO and will allow the Lions to part ways with Scheffler.

As much as I did not like the Martin pick he will lock down the punter and KO positions for hopefully the next decade.

Worford is starting and looks to be a solid guard as a third round pick...some production from the middle of the draft.

Ansah looks solid and I could have seen Detroit blowing that pick very easily.....and by the way Lane Johnson is struggling!

Not to say these are all Mayhews moves. Zanders may very well be the architect of this offseason. But I doubt the only way we know is the Lions tank and Mayhew gets canned and Zanders is his replacement.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised to see Zanders slide into the GM role if we fail to make the playoffs... He's had a year ti assess the talent we have, and he built the current Broncos juggernaut...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he'll reunite himself with his former first round QB, Tim Tebow?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He drafted Tebow. He also drafted Alphonso Smith. He drafted Knoshon Moreno in the first and was there when Elway got Manning. If Mayhew gets canned, someone from outside the organization needs to take over. Enough with letting a guy you fire train his replacement. That doesn't make any sense to me.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda the same point I was making too, I did get rude at the end there though.

That caught me off guard. I was surprised to see how you described my participation here so I got mad. Sorry i called you a retard.

The team is better now than when Mayhew got here, but he still needs to improve. we agree on that.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He drafted Tebow. He also drafted Alphonso Smith. He drafted Knoshon Moreno in the first and was there when Elway got Manning. If Mayhew gets canned, someone from outside the organization needs to take over. Enough with letting a guy you fire train his replacement. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Rumors say that was McDaniels. But who knows. IF this regime stays intact, I am looking forward to Mayhew taking on some other role (Assistant to the VP for example) and Xanders becoming the full-time GM. IF this regime misses the playoffs and gets canned, then I'm with you. Bring in someone totally new. You guys think this thread got out of hand? You'd freak if you knew my prediction for next Lions HC.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That caught me off guard. I was surprised to see how you described my participation here so I got mad. Sorry i called you a retard.

The team is better now than when Mayhew got here, but he still needs to improve. we agree on that.

I am not worried about it, the way I look at it we are both passionate about the Lions and that is a good thing. Arguments happen, but in the end we all want the same thing, Multiple Superbowls.

I can honestly say that is the most heated debate I have ever had about late round picks.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors say that was McDaniels. But who knows. IF this regime stays intact, I am looking forward to Mayhew taking on some other role (Assistant to the VP for example) and Xanders becoming the full-time GM. IF this regime misses the playoffs and gets canned, then I'm with you. Bring in someone totally new. You guys think this thread got out of hand? You'd freak if you knew my prediction for next Lions HC.

Mike Leach? Cuz he's my choice.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Leach? Cuz he's my choice.

Close! Rex Ryan (assuming his time in NY is up). Say what you want about Rex, but his teams are resilient , and he knows his defense like a champ. He would turn this D into a top 3 unit year in and year out, no doubt in my mind. His problem is he doesn't give two shits about the O, just like his dad didn't. However, I don't think an offense with Megatron, Pimp and Bush is hard to sell, especially when the HC has the D locked down.

Call me crazy, but that's who I want. He's established, he's been there, and he'd take this D to it's pinnacle. Just needs to hire a good OC and the Lions would be serious contenders imo.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry i called you a retard.

my_apology_face-68950.gif

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Mayhew is training Xanders at all. He's already been a GM and has his own philosophies, imo...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Mayhew is training Xanders at all. He's already been a GM and has his own philosophies, imo...

Maybe you're right. But he was a GM that had a head coach calling the shots. And they were stupid shots. Then he had a President that undid the stupid shots (after signing King Forehead) and fired him. If we start over I'd rather we actually start over. But I'd rather we don't actually start over. Since that mean we have a solid season ahead of us.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close! Rex Ryan (assuming his time in NY is up). Say what you want about Rex, but his teams are resilient , and he knows his defense like a champ. He would turn this D into a top 3 unit year in and year out, no doubt in my mind. His problem is he doesn't give two shits about the O, just like his dad didn't. However, I don't think an offense with Megatron, Pimp and Bush is hard to sell, especially when the HC has the D locked down.

Call me crazy, but that's who I want. He's established, he's been there, and he'd take this D to it's pinnacle. Just needs to hire a good OC and the Lions would be serious contenders imo.

The problem I see there is Rex is a 3-4 guy and we would have to do another overhaul of defensive personnel. That wouldn't happen overnight. I'd prefer to bring in someone that could utilize and improve upon the talent we already have.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I see there is Rex is a 3-4 guy and we would have to do another overhaul of defensive personnel. That wouldn't happen overnight. I'd prefer to bring in someone that could utilize and improve upon the talent we already have.

I considered that, but believe Rex could make it work with a hybrid style defense. He loves Dlineman more than anyone, taking them early and often, and finding success when he does. Aside from Suh, Ziggy and Fairley, imo every other piece on this front 7 is readily replaceable.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't go into name calling, it is a weak argument of a person that has nothing else. Good luck in the future.

And thats why you are alright even if i do disagree with some of your views.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not worried about it, the way I look at it we are both passionate about the Lions and that is a good thing. Arguments happen, but in the end we all want the same thing, Multiple Superbowls.

I can honestly say that is the most heated debate I have ever had about late round picks.

Ahem. Clearly i bailed too soon then.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Tulloch but he isn't a game changer. Levy has been really good this year and I hope it continues. Having said that, A 3-4 would likely require an entire new LB core. Which you couldn't address in one offseason with the other holes we already need to sure up. It would be at least two years before we would see a successful unit imo. While we have this offense in place I don't think we could afford that setback.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Tulloch but he isn't a game changer. Levy has been really good this year and I hope it continues. Having said that, A 3-4 would likely require an entire new LB core. Which you couldn't address in one offseason with the other holes we already need to sure up. It would be at least two years before we would see a successful unit imo. While we have this offense in place I don't think we could afford that setback.

Maybe we'd get lucky with some 3-4 FA signings. Fun to discuss, but pointless until Schwartz is gone. With that said, I'm pulling for him and everyone else to beat the Bears and start getting this ship turned around.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude you dont like schwartz? Did you see how impressively he ripped that headset off? Come on man hes a gamechanger.