• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumblings: Jets Could Offer Fully Guaranteed Contract to Cousins

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's close to Top Ten tbh.

Maybe fantasy football, but not that either.
I agree with you. I am just talking about his ceiling here. If he is as good as we can imagine.

You're a Lions fan. I am thinking Cousin's ceiling is current Matt Stafford. Low top ten QB who can win you some games, but can't carry you in the playoffs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you are saying, but the names you are using, Brady, Manning and Brees, present a LOT more upside than Cousins, and even they never had fully guaranteed deals.

It is just such a big risk for so little reward. I think Cousins is scratching the top ten of QBs at his very best. Not one of the top 5 week in and week out like those guys.

I think you are missing my point. It wasn't to try and compare him to those guys beyond the fact that they are pocket passers. Running QB's or at least scrambling QB's seem to have a shorter NFL career because they take more vicious hits throughout a season. See Cam Newton, RGIII, Marcus Mariota, Russell Wilson, heck even Aaron Rodgers. Those guys because of their style of play take more hits. On the other end of the spectrum is Cousins who is a pure pocket passer. He can run but rarely does he use that skillset unless it is a very opportune moment. So again yes there is risk, but not as much risk as other QB's or other positions.

As for those other guys not having fully guaranteed contracts well this could be the direction the NFL is heading. Players have gotten smarter to realize that the guaranteed part fo the contract is the most important part. Overall money means jack squat. Throw in NFL players look at other major sports like baseball and basketball and see the fully guaranteed deals. They have been wanting this. As for why NFL teams might be willing to offer this well it could be in the hopes that a player is willing to sign for less per year because of the promise of guaranteed money. So instead of having to sign a guy like Cousins to $30+ million per year you can get him for $25 million per year. Helps the cap out to allow a team to add more players around the QB.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are missing my point. It wasn't to try and compare him to those guys beyond the fact that they are pocket passers. Running QB's or at least scrambling QB's seem to have a shorter NFL career because they take more vicious hits throughout a season. See Cam Newton, RGIII, Marcus Mariota, Russell Wilson, heck even Aaron Rodgers. Those guys because of their style of play take more hits. On the other end of the spectrum is Cousins who is a pure pocket passer. He can run but rarely does he use that skillset unless it is a very opportune moment. So again yes there is risk, but not as much risk as other QB's or other positions.

As for those other guys not having fully guaranteed contracts well this could be the direction the NFL is heading. Players have gotten smarter to realize that the guaranteed part fo the contract is the most important part. Overall money means jack squat. Throw in NFL players look at other major sports like baseball and basketball and see the fully guaranteed deals. They have been wanting this. As for why NFL teams might be willing to offer this well it could be in the hopes that a player is willing to sign for less per year because of the promise of guaranteed money. So instead of having to sign a guy like Cousins to $30+ million per year you can get him for $25 million per year. Helps the cap out to allow a team to add more players around the QB.
No. I completely understand your point, based off of what you are saying up there.

Let's look at best case scenario for a fully guaranteed contract for Cousins. You get a boarderline top 10 QB for 5 years at 25 mil a year vs 30.

Now, let's look at the worst case scenario. Cousins takes a nasty hit and breaks his neck. You are now on the hook for a franchise QB for the next 4 years, getting nothing in return.

Obviously, these two outcomes aren't equal in probability. But, is fucking KURT COUSINS worth that risk? Hell to the no.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I completely understand your point, based off of what you are saying up there.

Let's look at best case scenario for a fully guaranteed contract for Cousins. You get a boarderline top 10 QB for 5 years at 25 mil a year vs 30.

Now, let's look at the worst case scenario. Cousins takes a nasty hit and breaks his neck. You are now on the hook for a franchise QB for the next 4 years, getting nothing in return.

Obviously, these two outcomes aren't equal in probability. But, is fucking KURT COUSINS worth that risk? Hell to the no.

I guess it depends where your team is at. If you think you are a borderline top-10 QB away from possibly winning the Super Bowl then the reward could easily outweigh the risk. I look at a team like Jacksonville or Minnesota who were right on the edge of being a possible Super Bowl champion. You give them a QB like Cousins and those odds go up even more. So is that risk worth it then? I mean heck those franchises have won a combined 0 Super Bowls between them. What harm could it do to take such a risk? What are they going to continue their streak of winning 0 Super Bowls? At least they would show they gave it their all to win one or two and just hope the risk pays off.

Also just as a note real quick for those questioning the actual play on the field by Cousins. Players from lots of teams have publicly stated over the past couple of months how much they respect and admire his game. Both defensive and offensive players have given him rave reviews. They have been petitioning for him to come to their respective teams. David Johnson, Von Miller, Joe Thomas just to name a few have all put out publicly how much they want him.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
show me the money:suds:

The Green Bay Press-Gazette expects the Packers to extend Aaron Rodgers after the draft.

The Packers have Rodgers signed through 2019 but want to extend him this offseason. Rodgers will likely wait to see what Kirk Cousins gets in free agency before signing, so it may be closer to training camp until anything gets done. Rodgers' next deal will make him the highest paid player in the league with an annual salary in the range of $30 million. There have been rumblings Green Bay could give Rodgers a fully guaranteed short-term extension.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football and hockey are the two sports where injuries generally mean long stretches of time to heal and rehab.

Guaranteed contracts are a huge risk, but most teams buy insurance at extreme premiums to cover the team loss. The reality is that the team loses actual cap space if a player is injured. So say Cousins gets a 5 year $130M guaranteed deal. The teams buys a term insurance policy at a cost $10M in year. The contract will cost $180M in real dollars. If the player is permanently injured in his first game, Premiums to insure contracts will skyrocket. The team is still on the hook for $30M per year of cap space. They can screw around as much as they want to defer cap hits, but eventually the piper has to be paid. The smartest thing the league could do is make the cap hits level and not allow contract extensions and all of the other crap that goes on. You get a 3 year $15M contract.....you eat a cap hit at $5M per and to keep it honest, even if you dump the guy, your cap still gets hit for the $5M per year. Football has screwed way too many players to get spending money for free agents and safety reserves.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they plan on a full guarantee they need to max it at 20M per for 5 years.
Not saying this is right, but it's the only way I think it could work.
even at that 100mill guaranteed, i mean i guess

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even at that 100mill guaranteed, i mean i guess
I don't see it working either, but 100 guaranteed is only 25 to 30 more guaranteed if they sign him to a conventional back loaded contract.

Tge problem I see is their LT and pass rush DE/OLB will also demand guarantees and one injury will handcuff the shit out of them.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it working either, but 100 guaranteed is only 25 to 30 more guaranteed if they sign him to a conventional back loaded contract.

Tge problem I see is their LT and pass rush DE/OLB will also demand guarantees and one injury will handcuff the shit out of them.
truth

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football and hockey are the two sports where injuries generally mean long stretches of time to heal and rehab.

Guaranteed contracts are a huge risk, but most teams buy insurance at extreme premiums to cover the team loss. The reality is that the team loses actual cap space if a player is injured. So say Cousins gets a 5 year $130M guaranteed deal. The teams buys a term insurance policy at a cost $10M in year. The contract will cost $180M in real dollars. If the player is permanently injured in his first game, Premiums to insure contracts will skyrocket. The team is still on the hook for $30M per year of cap space. They can screw around as much as they want to defer cap hits, but eventually the piper has to be paid. The smartest thing the league could do is make the cap hits level and not allow contract extensions and all of the other crap that goes on. You get a 3 year $15M contract.....you eat a cap hit at $5M per and to keep it honest, even if you dump the guy, your cap still gets hit for the $5M per year. Football has screwed way too many players to get spending money for free agents and safety reserves.

by all means go ahead and do it Jets!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if there truly is a team that would do this I am thinking it be the Browns.... But since they apparently actually seem to be going against what they normally do then the Jets is the team next in line

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is way overrated.... I hope He kills the slurs for the next decade.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the most exciting thing to happen to the Jets since Roger Vick was drafted

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Cousins is way overrated.

He's overrated, but I don't know about "way" overrated IMO. I think he's an above-average QB. He could win a SB on the right team. But he's rare. I'd rather have him than a guy like Alex Smith or Dak Prescott, but I'd take 2 of the rookie QBs in the 2018 draft class over him any day of the week (Rosen & Mayfield).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nuclear bomb we've all been wondering about, I am sure.

I'm not surprised, nor is this a big deal at his age on a 5 yr deal. Most big time FA QBs cash all of the checks in their prime and Cousins would still be in his prime under this proposed contract.

But...Cousins appears to be all about a max deal so I'm sure he's all ears.