• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumblings: Jets Could Offer Fully Guaranteed Contract to Cousins

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay him a billion. You're into stupid territory anyway, you may as well go all the way.

This has been brought to you by the creators of.........The Romo Zone!!!

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of wonder if this is the logical next step in QB contracts? If just average-above-average joe and Jimmy G's are getting league setting dollar amounts year and year out, aren't we due for a GTD explosion at some point? Let's be real, if these QB's are worth anything, these teams hang onto them until it becomes impossible usually.
See I was wondering that, but also looking at the younger crop of QBs makes me wonder. Once Brady/Roethlisberger/Rodgers/Brees retire or tail-off, who takes over as the elites? Looking at the under-25 or so pipeline there's guys who could take those spots over but no one seems to be a guarantee and maybe that could regulate the market.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. I am just talking about his ceiling here. If he is as good as we can imagine.

You're a Lions fan. I am thinking Cousin's ceiling is current Matt Stafford. Low top ten QB who can win you some games, but can't carry you in the playoffs.

Maybe...Stafford is more of a gunslinger, bigger arm, willing to throw into some tight windows.

IMO, the bigger mistake a team can make with Cousin is putting him in an elite role because of this impending contract. He's not that guy...he needs a solid running game and good weapons...if you put a good DEF there...like DEN...they are a playoff caliber team. Then I think we'll see the shine start to diminish on the star that is Cousins right now.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's overrated, but I don't know about "way" overrated IMO. I think he's an above-average QB. He could win a SB on the right team. But he's rare. I'd rather have him than a guy like Alex Smith or Dak Prescott, but I'd take 2 of the rookie QBs in the 2018 draft class over him any day of the week (Rosen & Mayfield).
i never say id take a rookie over a proven commodity, too mnay rookies flop

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of wonder if this is the logical next step in QB contracts? If just average-above-average joe and Jimmy G's are getting league setting dollar amounts year and year out, aren't we due for a GTD explosion at some point? Let's be real, if these QB's are worth anything, these teams hang onto them until it becomes impossible usually.

The QB bubble has to burst at some point like all things that get priced out of realistic means.

What this is setting up for is teams will be quicker to move on to the draft for another QB rather than pay $30 mil per.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the saddest statement is that Kirk Cousins would be the best non-Brady QB the AFC East has seen since Dan Marino

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it would be nice to have some competition in the division.
(And hobble other signings)
Go for it!

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tellin yall. The Browns are going to offer Cousins the biggest contract evar (seriously).

They will then use their 1 million early draft picks on BPA.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i never say id take a rookie over a proven commodity, too mnay rookies flop

I think Alex Smith is what he's going to be...not terrible, not great...I would take Cousins over him. Dak may never be a 5k passer in a season, but mobile enough and accurate enough to consistently win football games...you don't want to find yourself down 2 possessions in the 4Q too often with him needing to lead you back, but I'm okay with Prescott...wouldn't take Cousins over him.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alex Smith is what he's going to be...not terrible, not great...I would take Cousins over him. Dak may never be a 5k passer in a season, but mobile enough and accurate enough to consistently win football games...you don't want to find yourself down 2 possessions in the 4Q too often with him needing to lead you back, but I'm okay with Prescott...wouldn't take Cousins over him.
All guys who have played in the nfl

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tellin yall. The Browns are going to offer Cousins the biggest contract evar (seriously).

Great position for Scot McCloughan.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. Sign Cousins and go Barkley with the top pick? Would be a good QB/RB combo.