• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rotisserie vs H2H

what is your favorite Fantasy Baseball league type

• Rotisserie

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • H2H points

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • H2H Categories

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • other- what type??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you like better...

I have never done H2H points, but I feel like it loses the charm of H2H...

H2H categories

Pros:
1. Every week of the season is exciting because there is competition
2. Easier to catchup/fall back, because every week is independent of eachother
3. Added strategy, you can set your roster for what is best in a current week vs the current opposition.
4. added strategy that you can create your team with specific strengths and weaknesses- since all that matters is whether you win a category- not how much you win by...
5. Playoffs- who doesn't love playoffs and an actual champion to the league??

Cons:
1. total season statistics are irrelevant, you can be one of the best teams but just face the wrong team at the wrong time... It is possible to not make the playoffs if you are a top team, and the opposite is true as well, you can be a bad team and make the playoffs, and even WIN the league.
***huge CON***
2. #4 in the pros is also a con, balance is not necessary to be a good team.
3. Finding the best categories and how many categories may not be too easy, and if choosing wrong it can ruin the league...***very minor con***

H2H Points

Pros:
1. Every week of the season is exciting because there is competition
2. Easier to catchup/fall back, because every week is independent of eachother
3. Playoffs- who doesn't love playoffs and an actual champion to the league??
4. You can get a more accurate measurement of who the best teams are, because you can use so many statistics...

Cons:
1. total season statistics are irrelevant, you can be one of the best teams but just face the wrong team at the wrong time... It is possible to not make the playoffs if you are a top team, and the opposite is true as well, you can be a bad team and make the playoffs, and even WIN the league.
***huge CON***
2. Balance is not a factor at all, it doesn't matter how you get the points as long as you get the points
3. Its very Hard to find good Weights for each statistic, and in most leagues I have seen some stats are weighed so highly that you only have to focus on that stat, and it undervalues other players who don't get those specific stats...

Rotisserie

Pros:
1. Measures who had the best team... End results are all that matter, it really measures who was the best team all season, instead of who is the HOTTEST...
2. Balance is key, it is very difficult to punt any category(not saying it is not possible) and win... That makes all categories the same importance, and values all types of players...

Cons:
1. since all weeks are just an accumulation, the week to week stuff is just less exciting than in H2H, or at least it is a different excitement...
2. As an accumulation, teams that fall behind may quit, or at least not try as hard, sooner.
3. Same as in H2H categories, choosing the correct categories is key, choosing wrong can ruin the league.

Even though it is not clear by the Pro cons list, I prefer rotisserie... But I am learning to love H2H Category... And would love to get into a H2H points league to try one out... Still upset there was a miscommunication between me and philabuster... Could have joined his H2H points keeper league...

very Quick Pro/Cons...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it is Roto above all else. In fact, I love Roto, and in leagues with daily changes. The reason I like it is because it is both difficult and time consuming, and, with the daily changes, it rewards people that are more tuned into to the day to day doings of MLB, leaving those who snooze, to lose.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your huge cons for H2H's are quite possibly the reasons I like them the most. In real sports, all of them, the best team in the regular season doesn't always (in fact it seems they rarely) win the championship. Why a fantasy league should be structured any different doesn't make sense to me. I'm a H2H guy, either way, but I prefer the categories, for no particular reason other than its simplicity.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your huge cons for H2H's are quite possibly the reasons I like them the most. In real sports, all of them, the best team in the regular season doesn't always (in fact it seems they rarely) win the championship. Why a fantasy league should be structured any different doesn't make sense to me. I'm a H2H guy, either way, but I prefer the categories, for no particular reason other than its simplicity.

It was also the biggest pro I gave... Playoffs are fun, but with it there are some cons...

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a H2H points junkie. I think with points you can more accurately measure a player's worth.
I don't like that a SB= a Run or a HR.
They're all fun games (now in 2 H2H category leagues as well). I just think points (if done right) closer represent mlb.
(ie pt for SH, etc)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a H2H points junkie. I think with points you can more accurately measure a player's worth.
They're all fun games (now in 2 H2H category leagues as well). I just think points (if done right) closer represent mlb.
(ie pt for SH, etc)

Yea, I really wish that the miscommunication between us never happened in the beginning of the season... would have loved to be in your keeper league...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(ie pt for SH, etc)

From all the leagues I have seen I don't think I saw a league do it right, or at least how I think is right... But when I saw your settings, you were the closest to what I think is right...

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I really wish that the miscommunication between us never happened in the beginning of the season... would have loved to be in your keeper league...

We'll have to make it right by next season!!

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,068.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotisserie

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it is Roto above all else. In fact, I love Roto, and in leagues with daily changes. The reason I like it is because it is both difficult and time consuming, and, with the daily changes, it rewards people that are more tuned into to the day to day doings of MLB, leaving those who snooze, to lose.

Totally agree. I also think that roto is more in the spirit of baseball than is H2H, which is more like football.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started out 25+ years ago in straight points leagues. Normally by the end of May you knew who was going to win.

I play in alk three that you mention and enjoy the H2H category leagues the best. A H2H points league can be rigged if not set up right.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H2H points and pretty easily... I won't go into it, I agree the weights have to be right, but I don't find that difficult to do. Balance doesn't matter to me (and doesn't mean I don't do it either). What's the difference in being able to split your team up into power guys, speed guys and try to keep your average up, and being able to concoct a team of point getters? And I really think batter strikeouts are key to establishing value, and not having them in categories is almost risk free.

It's been a long time since I was in a year long rotisserrie.. and I recall not enjoying it all that much. Even for the most active owner, falling behind can be pretty depressing. I do like the idea of it, but I think seasonal leagues don't fit that bill... dynasties, or general keeper leagues and no dead beat owners...maybe.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H2H points for me. You can get a better overall picture of players true value with every addition scoring category IMO. (I really don't like Caught Stealing, LOB and K's not hurting position players in Roto.) But.... In my favorite league, there are dozens of payouts. Category leaders, division winners, (for both the first and second half. To promote owners to remain active.), Presidents Trophy, overall points, full season breakdown (if you had played every team, every week) and playoffs. The "championship" winner isn't the league winner. The overall money winner is.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very surprised that H2H points is in the lead right now... Like i said i have never done one, so i could be way off base here, but i do think it takes away One of the best factors of H2H, and that is your opponent... Making moves to better your chances against an opponent is my favorite factor of H2H, but it is not a factor with points...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never seen people have season long success with a team loaded with power hitters only, or speedsters only. I try to field a team that will fill the stat sheet as much as possible in both.(Players that are good in one, are generally good in the other. Dozier, who's OBP is far better than his BA, is also the highest scoring second baseman in scoring leagues right now.) Regardless of the team Im matching up against. (Not sure I understand what you mean about adjusting your lineup.) There's so many important factors that are completely ignored in standard 5X5 roto.(innings not being a category baffles me. That's what sets pitchers apart IMO.) And no negs, which, for lack of a better term, really sucks.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never seen people have season long success with a team loaded with power hitters only, or speedsters only. I try to field a team that will fill the stat sheet as much as possible in both.(Players that are good in one, are generally good in the other. Dozier, who's OBP is far better than his BA, is also the highest scoring second baseman in scoring leagues right now.) Regardless of the team Im matching up against. (Not sure I understand what you mean about adjusting your lineup.) There's so many important factors that are completely ignored in standard 5X5 roto.(innings not being a category baffles me. That's what sets pitchers apart IMO.) And no negs, which, for lack of a better term, really sucks.

What i mean about adjusting your lineup, is lets say i have 11 starts to your 7, it is often wise to put in a 3rd closer when playing H2H Categories, but in points you would always keep in your best roster...

If i see your team being a great SB team, and i know i cant compete, i might punt the category that week, to give myself a better chance to win all other categories... H2H categories just adds another strategy that is unique, and find it to be the heart of H2H...

Again, i never played H2H points, so i might be being unfair to it...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What i mean about adjusting your lineup, is lets say i have 11 starts to your 7, it is often wise to put in a 3rd closer when playing H2H Categories, but in points you would always keep in your best roster...

If i see your team being a great SB team, and i know i cant compete, i might punt the category that week, to give myself a better chance to win all other categories... H2H categories just adds another strategy that is unique, and find it to be the heart of H2H...

I see what you're saying now. We'd have to have deep, deep rosters. And restrictions on minimum position players (more than zero) on the bench for me to ever adjust my hitters on account of matchups though. I can see pitching spots switching on account of what my opponent is bringing to the table. (I gamble on two starters too much in roto.)

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H2H categories for me.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very surprised that H2H points is in the lead right now... Like i said i have never done one, so i could be way off base here, but i do think it takes away One of the best factors of H2H, and that is your opponent... Making moves to better your chances against an opponent is my favorite factor of H2H, but it is not a factor with points...

yeah, you're over thinking it... same in points, if you had 10 starts, and I had 6, I might look for one or two 2-start pitchers to add for the week... I see what you're saying about category punting, going up against someone else "power category", but isn't that the same (worse IMO) as what you "thought" piling up with HR guys would be like in a points?

Points leagues entail everything about baseball...and like Smitty said, not being hurt by being caught stealing, or striking out, or a pitcher going deeper into games, (your 6 inn, 0 er, 0 bb, 0 hits, 6 K's is the same as 8.2 inn, 0 er, 0 hits, 6 K's in cat leagues)... how is that good?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...sorry, that should read, **not being hurt getting caught stealing and striking out is terrible... or a pitcher going deeper into games should be rewarded ...