• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rosterbation version 1.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Players already under contract for next year non-arbritration:

Lincecum, 13 million.
Cain, 7 million.
Zito, 18.5 million.
Bumgarner, 450 K (estimated, team control)
Wilson, 6.5 million
Affeldt, 4.5 million
Romo, 450 K (estimated, team control)
Runzler, 450 K (estimated, team control)
Posey, 450 K(estimated, team control)
Whiteside, 450 K (estimated, team control
Ishikawa, 450 K (estimated, team control)
Freddy Sanchez, 6 million
Pablo Sandoval, 450 K (estimated, team control)
Derosa, 6 million
Rowand, 12 million
Schierholtz, 450 K (estimated, team control)

Re-signs:

Huff, 2 years 14 million.
Uribe, decline to re sign.
Burrell, decline to re-sign
Mota, decline to re-sign
Renteria, decline 2011 option

Arbritration:
Javier Lopez, offer 1.75 million
Santiago Casilla, offer 1 million
Chris Ray, offer 900 K
Jonathan Sanchez, offer 6.5 million
Cody Ross, offer 6 million
Andres Torres, offer 3 million
Ramon Ramirez, decline arbritration
Mike Fontenot, decline abritration

Free Agent signing's

Hideki Matsui, OF, sign to 1 year 4 million deal.

Trades

Trade minor league players Francisco Peguero OF , Conor Gillaspie INF to Tampa Bay for SS Jason Bartlett, offer Bartlett 5 million in arbritration.

25 man roster, 12 pitchers, 13 position players:

Rotation
Lincecum
Cain
Sanchez
Bumgarner
Zeets

Pen
Wilson
Romo
Affeldt
Casilla
Ray
Lopez
Runzler

Lineup
CF Torres
2B Freddy Sanchez
1B Aubrey Huff
C Buster Posey
RF Ross
LF Matsui/ Derosa platoon
3B Sandoval
SS Bartlett

Bench
Ishikawa
Rowand
Whiteside
Schierholtz
Derosa( super sub when not hitting LHP as LF)

As for Belt, I would start him off in AAA Fresno and see if production continues. If he continues to rake, I'd call him up around late June and look at seeing if he can take playing time from Matsui and possibly look to deal Matsui near the deadline to a contender looking for a solid eye LH. If Belt fails, use him in a reserve role and you still have Matsui as a decent weapon in the lineup.

Estimated 2011 opening day payroll, 111.80 million.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good ideas. I like everything you did there DT with the lone exception being Hideki Matsui. If Matsui were the only choice left, I'd rather just keep Burrell for a similar contract (as supposedly he was huge in the clubhouse). Plus, World Series flop aside, the guy hit 18 homers in something like 290 at bats or close to that with the Giants. I'm not going to say I expect him to duplicate those numbers next season, but heck even 18 homers in 400 at bats ain't too shabby.

I wonder what it would take to get Denard Span from Minnesota. He'd be an intriguing outfielder to have. Having Ross in LF, Span in CF and Torres in RF would be ridiculous.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good ideas. I like everything you did there DT with the lone exception being Hideki Matsui. If Matsui were the only choice left, I'd rather just keep Burrell for a similar contract (as supposedly he was huge in the clubhouse). Plus, World Series flop aside, the guy hit 18 homers in something like 290 at bats or close to that with the Giants. I'm not going to say I expect him to duplicate those numbers next season, but heck even 18 homers in 400 at bats ain't too shabby.

I wonder what it would take to get Denard Span from Minnesota. He'd be an intriguing outfielder to have. Having Ross in LF, Span in CF and Torres in RF would be ridiculous.

I too am not particularly interested in Matsui, but points for thinking outside the box (everyone is always saying Crawford or Werth).

Filo with your outfield Burrell is a PH, occaisional starter?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too am not particularly interested in Matsui, but points for thinking outside the box (everyone is always saying Crawford or Werth).

Filo with your outfield Burrell is a PH, occaisional starter?

Yup, Werth and Crawford are untouchables unless the FO decides to open up their wallet big time.

I was more just musing about Span. If the Giants were able to get him via trade, then there wouldn't be much use for Burrell. I just don't think the Giants will be able to get him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, Werth and Crawford are untouchables unless the FO decides to open up their wallet big time.

I was more just musing about Span. If the Giants were able to get him via trade, then there wouldn't be much use for Burrell. I just don't think the Giants will be able to get him.

Agreed, Twins love him.

We're not going to see a lot of changes, nor should we, we just won something if I recall correctly.

I still favor packaging Panda and a prospect or two for a Stephen Drew or some such. But I'd be glad to be proven wrong by a slimmed down, focused Panda.

So basically next year Uribe goes to SS, Panda gets most of the starts at 3B with DeRosa occaisonally there. DeRosa and Burrell split LF?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aubrey Huff hopes to return to San Francisco Giants next season - MLB - SI.com

Thought this was semi-related (and I liked the article) so I'd throw this in.

I like that people want to stay here now. Hopefully we can start getting good players to WANT to come here. Hey, it's the season to hope right? :)

This.

Before, most hitters would not even consider the Giants because their numbers would take a hit, and we were a loser org (56 years, anybody?).

Now we will at least be considered by these guys and will be allowed at the negotiating table. I doubt we get Werth or Crawford, but I think both will at least look into the possibility of coming here, but the Spanks, Phils, Mets, etc will offer more money than SF would be willing to offer (hopefully).

Ultimately, we will stick with what we have and add 2-4 mid range guys (Hardy/Peralta being the most logical, IMO).

Not a bad strategy or position, really...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you guys know if a FA list is out there or when one would be posted?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P.S. If Bartlett can be had for that package, I hope Sabean does it immediately. That would be a steal. That kid became quite the catalyst when the Rays asked Crawford to slide down to the three slot.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P.S. If Bartlett can be had for that package, I hope Sabean does it immediately. That would be a steal. That kid became quite the catalyst when the Rays asked Crawford to slide down to the three slot.

Absolutely. He had a monster year not this past year but the year before as well. I've never done any research on it, nor have I watched many Tampa Bay games, but I've heard his defense is above average. Anybody know about his defense?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN, his UZR is 6.7. From watching a few games, I would say his range is on par with Hardy and Peralta. It seems he did have a pretty down year at the plate. I remember being impressed with his plate discipline which is evident in his .320 OBP while only hitting .254. It seems, by the numbers, he would be a similar pick-up to Hardy or Peralta, but the Giants wouldn't have to give up any prospects to get either of the latter two, and they are younger than Bartlett. However, I do still like his game, and I think he would thrive in San Francisco. I believe the bottom line is the Giants need to find someone with better range than Uribe to man shortstop on a daily basis. I certainly have no problem with trying to re-sign Juan as a contingency plan for if Pablo doesn't slim down, but I think we all agree that even with two better-than-anticipated seasons under his belt in a Giants' uni, he is not an everyday shortstop... and only getting older... and rarely getting walks.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN, his UZR is 6.7. From watching a few games, I would say his range is on par with Hardy and Peralta. It seems he did have a pretty down year at the plate. I remember being impressed with his plate discipline which is evident in his .320 OBP while only hitting .254. It seems, by the numbers, he would be a similar pick-up to Hardy or Peralta, but the Giants wouldn't have to give up any prospects to get either of the latter two, and they are younger than Bartlett. However, I do still like his game, and I think he would thrive in San Francisco. I believe the bottom line is the Giants need to find someone with better range than Uribe to man shortstop on a daily basis. I certainly have no problem with trying to re-sign Juan as a contingency plan for if Pablo doesn't slim down, but I think we all agree that even with two better-than-anticipated seasons under his belt in a Giants' uni, he is not an everyday shortstop... and only getting older... and rarely getting walks.

I agree with this. I'd like Bartlett, but only if they don't ask the farm for him. Otherwise, go with Hardy or Peralta.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm a fan of Matsui because he's a left-handed hitter who can work the count and has a bit of pop in his bat. It's splitting hairs with him or Burrell, I'd be fine with both at the right price, I just don't want to see the lineup too Right-handed.

I'm a fan of Bartlett because of his defense, he's pretty good there. Wouldn't mind Hardy either, but his price might be too high, and Bartlett is somewhat cost controlled with arbritration and a down year last year.

And yes, I was giddy about either Crawford or Werth but after crunching the numbers there's just no way we can afford those guys. I'm not even sure my plan for an increased payroll to 110 million is going to fly with Neukom.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also- It's not a stretch that Bartlett could be traded for B prospects, like Peguero's, Gillaspie's or Culberson's. Word on the street in Tampa is that they're ready to give the SS reigns to Reid Brignac, who is one of the better young shortstops around.

If Sabean found a way to bypass Bartlett and acquire Brignac I would lose my fucking mind and pronounce him my daddy and God.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bartlett's from Mountain View, if I remember correctly. That would be a cool story.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players already under contract for next year non-arbritration:

Lincecum, 13 million.
Cain, 7 million.
Zito, 18.5 million.
Bumgarner, 450 K (estimated, team control)
Wilson, 6.5 million
Affeldt, 4.5 million
Romo, 450 K (estimated, team control)
Runzler, 450 K (estimated, team control)
Posey, 450 K(estimated, team control)
Whiteside, 450 K (estimated, team control
Ishikawa, 450 K (estimated, team control)
Freddy Sanchez, 6 million
Pablo Sandoval, 450 K (estimated, team control)
Derosa, 6 million
Rowand, 12 million
Schierholtz, 450 K (estimated, team control)

Re-signs:

Huff, 2 years 14 million.
Uribe, decline to re sign.
Burrell, decline to re-sign
Mota, decline to re-sign
Renteria, decline 2011 option

Arbritration:
Javier Lopez, offer 1.75 million
Santiago Casilla, offer 1 million
Chris Ray, offer 900 K
Jonathan Sanchez, offer 6.5 million
Cody Ross, offer 6 million
Andres Torres, offer 3 million
Ramon Ramirez, decline arbritration
Mike Fontenot, decline abritration

Free Agent signing's

Hideki Matsui, OF, sign to 1 year 4 million deal.

Trades

Trade minor league players Francisco Peguero OF , Conor Gillaspie INF to Tampa Bay for SS Jason Bartlett, offer Bartlett 5 million in arbritration.

25 man roster, 12 pitchers, 13 position players:

Rotation
Lincecum
Cain
Sanchez
Bumgarner
Zeets

Pen
Wilson
Romo
Affeldt
Casilla
Ray
Lopez
Runzler

Lineup
CF Torres
2B Freddy Sanchez
1B Aubrey Huff
C Buster Posey
RF Ross
LF Matsui/ Derosa platoon
3B Sandoval
SS Bartlett

Bench
Ishikawa
Rowand
Whiteside
Schierholtz
Derosa( super sub when not hitting LHP as LF)

As for Belt, I would start him off in AAA Fresno and see if production continues. If he continues to rake, I'd call him up around late June and look at seeing if he can take playing time from Matsui and possibly look to deal Matsui near the deadline to a contender looking for a solid eye LH. If Belt fails, use him in a reserve role and you still have Matsui as a decent weapon in the lineup.

Estimated 2011 opening day payroll, 111.80 million.

Nice post. I see it a little differently,

I think the following will happen

1. Uribe will be re-signed (2 yrs/12 MM)
2. Belt will make the opening day roster
3. Rowand will be traded
4. Burrell will be re-signed. (1 yr/ 4MM)
5. Ray will be declined arb.
6. Fontenot will be offered arb. (1 yr/ 1.5MM)
7. Bartlett will not be on our radar (nor should he).

In thinking through the SS situation, I was deciding last week among Hardy, Peralta, and Uribe. UUU has a bit more power than the other two, they all get on base about the same, and Hardy is a very good defender. Uribe is a good (below average range, above average arm) defender. Peralta is average. Depending upon price, I'd take Hardy -- but I suspect we'll bring back UUU due to his familiarity with the park and the offense. Bartlett has significantly less power than the other three, gets on base about the same, but is a HORRIBLE defender. I can't see even signing him as a FA, much less giving up anything to get him.

Baggs said in one of his blogs that he thought the Giants would be looking to trade Rowand and eat a good chunk of his salary -- which I've been saying for a couple of months now.

The Matsui idea is an interesting one. However, if you compare him to Burrell, you get nearly identical power, a slight on base advantage, but a significant defensive downgrade. Also, Godzilla is 2 years older. He seems more like an AL DH to me. Also, Pat should be cheaper.

My 2011 roster:
C Posey
1b Belt
2b Franchez
SS Uribe
3b Panda
LF Huff
CF Torres
RF Ross

Bench: Ishi, Fontenot, DeRosa, Nate, Burrell, Whiteside

SP: Tim, Chez, Cain, Bum, Zeets
RF: Weez, Lopez, Romo, Affeldt, Casilla, Ramirez/Runzler

Total payroll: approx 100MM

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Jed Lowrie from Boston? He has been hindered from injuries the past couple years, but he really is coming along nicley and could develope into a 15 HR, .300 switch hitting SS.

Also, if we are talking about the Twins OF, Delwin Young would be a guy I'd target.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What about Jed Lowrie from Boston? He has been hindered from injuries the past couple years, but he really is coming along nicley and could develope into a 15 HR, .300 switch hitting SS.

Also, if we are talking about the Twins OF, Delwin Young would be a guy I'd target.

Not a fan of Delmon Young. He doesn't walk and has above average power, but he's also a terrible defender. I'd assume the Twins would want a lot in return for him and I don't see it.

Btw, just took a look at how UZR likes Matsui and it's not pretty, almost Adam Dunn bad. I'm going to backtrack on that and would rather sign Burrell for a little less.