• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roger Goodell salary team

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ftw-icon-mobile-section-head-rev.png NFL
Steven Ruiz | February 16, 2016 3:16 pm

Roger Goodell makes a ridiculous amount of money. ESPN reported Tuesday the NFL paid its commissioner $34.1 million in 2014. That’s more than any single player made last season by a significant margin.

NFL players’ contracts have to be the worst in all of major professional sports. They are so bad, you could put together an incredible roster of talent with Goodell’s compensation in 2014 alone. And that’s exactly what we did. Here is the best 22-man starting lineup you can put together with $34.1 million.

Note: We’re using 2015 salaries with those figures coming from Spotrac.

goodell_offense.png

We’re going with a two-tight end system, which will give us plenty of formational flexibility with Jordan Reed and Tyler Eifert having the ability to split out wide if need be. DeAndre Hopkins demands extra attention, and Allen Robinson will feast on the one-on-one opportunities.

If teams try to load up against the pass, Todd Gurley will absolutely gash them in the run game. We have two young guards paving the way for him in Trai Turner and La’el Collins. Both are maulers making under a million a year. Here’s a taste of what Collins can do.

collins.gif

With all of these talented play-makers, we don’t need much from the quarterback. We’ll take Kirk Cousins and his $643 thousand cap hit. He just needs to be a distributor and let his talented teammates do the work. Cousins had a lot of success in that role down the stretch for Washington.

goodell_defense1.png

The defense is built around a strong spine. There’s Kawann Short and Aaron Donald, two of the most disruptive interior linemen in the league, making about $3.6 million combined — or about a month and a half’s worth of salary for Goodell — at the tackle spots.

At ends, Muhammad Wilkerson and Olivier Vernon — both free agents this offseason — provide tremendous production at a low cost.

Luke Kuechly leads the defense at his middle linebacker spot. His leadership and all-around ability makes him well worth the $6.6 million he made last season. Around him we have two athletic linebackers, Jamie Collins and Danny Trevathan, capable of covering tight ends and running backs in the passing game. Collins is also valuable against the run.

Vikings Pro Bowl safety Harrison Smith is the heart of the secondary, which is filled with ball hawks. Tyrann Mathieu, Glover Quin and Trumaine Johnson combined for 16 interceptions in 2015.

I’m convinced this team would not lose a game. The defense is stacked, the offense is balanced and flexible and we were able to put it all together for just over $33 million.

The main takeaways from this exercise: Young NFL players are grossly underpaid and Goodell makes way too much money.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have author try putting together an "incredible roster" with players NOT on their rookie salary contract.

Agree Goodell makes a lot of money, but the elite talent in NFL makes a lot of money as well once they get off their rookie contracts.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lael Collins got so fucking screwed last year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have author try putting together an "incredible roster" with players NOT on their rookie salary contract.

Agree Goodell makes a lot of money, but the elite talent in NFL makes a lot of money as well once they get off their rookie contracts.

Goodell makes a lot of money because league revenues have exploded while he has been the boss.

But 2014 will be the last time we know how much Goodell makes because the NFL is no longer a non-profit entity.

FTR, you could do the exact same thing in every sport as every sport has greatly limited the salaries of rookie contracts. Baseball is worse than football. Most of them get paid dick for their first 5 years of their career.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For $34 million dollars I can get you 34 baseball All-Stars

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not being snide here, but whenever Roger Gooddell's incompetence as a commissioner comes up, peoe always point out how much league revenue has increased under his watch.

Honest question, and very receptive to answers, what has old Rog had to do with that. I feel as though almost any one of us could have done that in his seat just by sitting back and watching, and I think most of us know that hitting women is bad.

I will do his job for 10 mil. The offer is there NFL

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel sorry for the players whatsoever. They should have played baseball or basketball if they wanted to make more $$$. I wouldn't be surprised to see players salaries increase as more athletes become aware of the health risks and choose other sports. The NFL is peaking as a business and Goodells salary is a good indicator of that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not being snide here, but whenever Roger Gooddell's incompetence as a commissioner comes up, peoe always point out how much league revenue has increased under his watch.

Honest question, and very receptive to answers, what has old Rog had to do with that. I feel as though almost any one of us could have done that in his seat just by sitting back and watching, and I think most of us know that hitting women is bad.

He has done some decent work along the way.

1) During the 2011 CBA he was one that helped to keep the negotiations going and instead of being like the NHL where half the season was canceled they got everything done and the NFL season started on time.

2) While yes the NFL was a growing business he was/is one that helped to spear head the game becoming more of an international sensation to make sure that the NFL market can continue to grow. World wide even with it for the most part only being played in North America has become the 3rd most popular sport and has some of the highest growth rate of any sport at this time.

3) He has been a big part of trying to get the NFL back to LA one of the biggest TV markets in the country. Should help revenue to just continue to grow.

4) He has also been a bit part in helping with the new tv deals not allow the salary cap to go crazy giving the richer owners a huge advantage for a few years but with the gradual increase has kept the entire league competitive with at least 1 team that finished last in their claiming a playoff spot.

5) Helped establish a fund to take care of retired NFL players beyond just health insurance. Been a long overdue thing for them to do but Goodell was instrumental in getting it done.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a bit weird that the Super Bowl is paved in rookie contracts if you think about Seattle and to a less extent Denver.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Goodell made $34.1 mil. But he blew half of it on male prostitutes and exotic vibrators so take that into consideration.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell makes a lot of money because league revenues have exploded while he has been the boss.

But 2014 will be the last time we know how much Goodell makes because the NFL is no longer a non-profit entity.

FTR, you could do the exact same thing in every sport as every sport has greatly limited the salaries of rookie contracts. Baseball is worse than football. Most of them get paid dick for their first 5 years of their career.
Well i would gladly live on $500,000 btw nfl is $420,000 MLB players have it way better than NFL players in the long run due to no salary cap:suds:

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its fuckin amazing that a commissioner of a professional sport league. Makes more money, significantly more, than every single player who plays in that league.

The only thing that's gonna fuck the NFL will be itself and its well on its way imo.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL players’ contracts have to be the worst in all of major professional sports.

The main takeaways from this exercise: Young NFL players are grossly underpaid and Goodell makes way too much money.

Yeah, no they are not.

Young MLB players who weren't drafted in the first couple of rounds are in a far worse position. They are basically paid peanuts(seasonal minimum wages) for their first couple of years as professionals, till they make the majors. And then they are under team control at league minimum wage for 3 more years, after which they are team controlled at below market wages for another 3 years. During the whole time, they are basically on single year contracts in which a team can release them before the season starts, without paying them a cent.

NFL players can reach FA or get a massive single season payment(franchise tag) after 4 or 5 seasons. Unless you are a superstar, MLB players can spend upwards of 10 years under team control before thy reach FA.

Yep, it's NFL players who are grossly underpaid & have the worst contracts...

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fuck what Beaker's talkin bout, NFL.

You can have me at 5 mill.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its fuckin amazing that a commissioner of a professional sport league. Makes more money, significantly more, than every single player who plays in that league.

The only thing that's gonna fuck the NFL will be itself and its well on its way imo.

You must be new to capitalism & how much CEOs of billion dollar businesses earn.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing.... He just happens to be the lucky person "in charge"

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must be new to capitalism & how much CEOs of billion dollar businesses earn.

Goodell's an employee, just like the players. The difference being,if Goodell quit his job today. No one would care or notice. If Aaron Rodgers or Von Miller or Antonio Brown quit today people would notice.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the NFL owners seem to think he's responsible for quite a lot of it. Which is why they pay him all that money.

Maybe they are wrong.