• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Road trip

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ludwick would have stabilized the batting order, if nothing else, and given the Reds that desirable chance to move BP to the second spot. They've polished that apple in a nice spin, though, suggesting BP has been quite productive in the cleanup spot. It's hard to argue with the RBI numbers, if that's the only number that matters.

It just means that he's basically driven in Choo more than anything and that nobody else has come close to accomplishing that.

The 5-on-down has sucked through a straw once Frazier came back to Earth.

Now that the opposition has learned to get Cozart out without any trouble, they know Votto is groping to be productive to help BP achieve what Ludwick was supposed to achieve.

This is an accident waiting for the insurance agents to decide on a claim.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwick had 3-1/2 productive months in the past 3 years. He got $12 mil for that, but it doesn't guarantee he wouldn't be the .245 / 14 HR guy. I hear you though, JohnU... I'm a believer that the only thing worse than playing ( or hitting) one guy out of position, is to play 2 out of position. BP has done ok in ghe 4 hole, but I think the problem is lack of RISP with less than 2 outs, NOT lack of people to drive them in. I would have left BP between Choo and Votto, and pulled up the rest of the lineup by 1 spot, hitting whoever played LF 6th then the catcher and SS. They don't ask me though. They ask Dusty.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Hannagin wasnt hitting anyway and Ludwick historically gets off to slow start as well. The Reds problems go far beyond just Hanny and Ludwick.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanigan finally took himself out of the lineup, I think.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point in his 5 year deal, Jay Bruce has to be expected to hit more than 2 months a season, and I'm less afraid of back to back LH hitters in the 3-4 spots than am I am with hitting a guy that has try TRY hard to hit 20 HR and MIGHT hit .260 ...

All else equal, if Bruce is going to hit .255 and have 30 Hr, id rather depend on him improving for the next 3 seasons before his prime, than Ludwick at age 35. Phillips has done a good job in the 4 hole, but that spot isn't churning this offense, is it ? This team had to get runners on in bunches, and we can't depend on teams like the Cubs walking the bases juiced to do that.

The perpetual out in the 2 hole is sucking the life out of this already anemic offense. Ludwick may help that, if that's what it takes to send BP back to the 2 hole, but ghosts his biggest utility value, IMO. Hanigan is a 30 R 30 RBI player with virtually zero offensive relevance. The runs on this team are going to be largely produced by the top 5 hitters... Might as well bunch them together.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am to a point where I am giddy when Bruce reaches first base.
Honestly, he's shown no improvement other than the occasional plink single to left field.
If this is how the hitting coach is supposed to help a talented player mature, the Reds will go down in history as the best example of the St. Louis Browns -- ever.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, the Reds are a win away from playing .500 on the 10 game road trip...success by my own standards...disturbing only because they had to sweep a potential 100 loss team to do it. It bothers me losing series to every playoff contender we play, and occasionally to teams that haven't played a .500 season in 2 decades. Not exactly comforting for playoff aspirations. This team doesn't need a good hitting streak, they just need to be able to score 4 runs a game without having to have the other team give them half of them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over 162, I would guess a few more sweeps are in the offing and I'd guess the Reds can indeed beat the Parrots a few times. Would like to start kicking some St. Lousy balls. I think Atlanta will be a nice measure, even if it is at home. The so-called dreaded West Coast trips are still ahead of us. It would be nice if the team began to learn how to hit before then, but what I see is NOT comforting. Just having a hot streak isn't working.

If you look at how the Birds win, they score early, they score first and they keep the foot on the throat. They can't depend on their bullpen. Doesn't matter. The odds of winning are 82 percent if you score first. That's what troubles me about St. Louis. They already figured this out and they learned how to accomplish it.

I wonder if the Reds dugout staff has ever considered that. Seems easy enough to say but I can't say the St. Louis batting order is naturally more talented than Cincy's. It's how they are coached.

Dusty and Jacoby are winning with mirrors, not strategy.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Cap'n Dusty and crew sail the Reds ship around in circles hoping to hit land. It does seem for whatever reason, our guys get a little smarter in even years...then they go back to clueless after a contract extension. Dunno if it's coincidence or just motivation, but it's getting old. There isn't always going to be next year... next time the Reds accidentally stumble onto the playoff continent, they need to stake a claim to it, instead if bathing themselves in BBQ sauce and inviting themselves to dinner with the natives.