• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Richard Sherman calls NCAA a scam

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post of the Week.

These haughty Seahawks players educating us on the horrible persecution they're under is just about enough to make me sick. STFU :rollseyes:

Right, so one Seahawk player answers questions for the media during super bowl week and he makes you sick to the point where you want him to shut the fuck up, and another says nothing and he should buck up and fulfill his contract.

We aren't allowed to use the word 'hater' anymore, but it's sad that this is really the only thing that fits here.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, so one Seahawk player answers questions for the media during super bowl week and he makes you sick to the point where you want him to shut the fuck up, and another says nothing and he should buck up and fulfill his contract.

We aren't allowed to use the word 'hater' anymore, but it's sad that this is really the only thing that fits here.

Funny you think that, when all of america laughs at these seahawks fans defending every dumb comment their team makes. "hater' isn't the word for this situation, the word you're looking for is "homer".

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. All you get is free room and board, unlimited and free meals, and a free education that could potentially be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on which university you attend. That includes the guys sitting on the bench that don't play. Waah! It's such a scam! It's so unfair!

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. All you get is free room and board, unlimited and free meals, and a free education that could potentially be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on which university you attend. That includes the guys sitting on the bench that don't play. Waah! It's such a scam! It's so unfair!

Free clothes, free shoes, free booze, free ass...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you think that, when all of america laughs at these seahawks fans defending every dumb comment their team makes. "hater' isn't the word for this situation, the word you're looking for is "homer".

Figures you go that way instead of answering to the hypocrisy mentioned. Original point confirmed. Thank you.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would feel more compassion if they felt more compassion to the real student-athletes that went to their respective colleges.

Such as the Track Team, the Cross Country Team, the Baseball Team, the Wrestling Team, the Water Polo Team, the Swim Team, the Tennis Team, the Women's Sports teams. If you think football players have it rough, check out what the wrestlers do. They have to starve themselves to make weight, do their workouts, and go to class.

But no, they just mention that since the football team brings in the money, the football players are entitled to the money.

Everyone else can go DIAFF.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If these kids are actually worth so much as they claim, then why hasn't anyone created a new league they can play in for a few years before heading to the NFL?

With it being such a big business, seems to me there must be tons of money available for such a thing and they can make it there.

Unless of course, what makes the money in college football has more to do with the schools than it does the individual players.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's terrible when you compare it with professional football players who make millions a year or 400k minimum a year.

It's a great deal when you are reasonable about things and compare it with what 99% of the people in the world have to PAY to get enrolled, get no benefits at all and do everything themselves and leave college in major debt and no job.

And on top of what the school does for them with all that, they can still get $17,000 a year in cash from other benefits.

Football Players Receive $17,000 Annually in Cash, all within NCAA Rules « HolyTurf

In short, I do not at all feel bad for them.

This is all that really needs to be said in response to Sherman.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's terrible when you compare it with professional football players who make millions a year or 400k minimum a year.

It's a great deal when you are reasonable about things and compare it with what 99% of the people in the world have to PAY to get enrolled, get no benefits at all and do everything themselves and leave college in major debt and no job.

And on top of what the school does for them with all that, they can still get $17,000 a year in cash from other benefits.

Football Players Receive $17,000 Annually in Cash, all within NCAA Rules « HolyTurf

In short, I do not at all feel bad for them.

this!

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy never shuts up.

Just another Seahawk who constantly demands respect but never offers up any of his own.

These fucktards just crave attention.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Sherman on this 1.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real issue runs deeper. Is college football a sport unto itself or a farm club for the pros? Are the players students or athletes first? The "student athlete" title is wearing thin, especially in light of the O'Bannon case. Sherman does have a point, however, it's not easy to be a top athlete and a top student, it requires a lot of work.

Look, we all know how much money the sport generates. In almost every state the highest paid government employee is the head football coach of the major university. Football stars get all sorts of benefits, especially the top ones, but NCAA rules make it a violation to give the kid a ham sandwich.

The move to add "cost of attendance" allowances is essentially heading down the road of paying them. And this will leave some consequences not yet considered. Those benefits will be considered taxable income, for example. Then we have the problem of do we pay the women's field hockey team those stipends also? Title IX says yes, and that math isn't yet worked out.

Richard Sherman has an in-your-face way of saying things, that I will wholeheartedly agree. But the man does raise a point, whether you agree with it or not.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their problem is that their arguments are ignorant and naive when speaking for all student athletes. Their real arguments are only for the .001% of "student athletes" that the NCAA and colleges are taking advantage of, for the other 99% the free education and benefits that come along with being a student athlete is worth the sacrifice. Students who take out loans and have to have a job in order to survive in college isn't much different except they don't get all the free students those poor student athletes get.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is 100% correct. He is speaking about the P5 and you could argue just a subsection of those schools. There are a lot of comments comparing athletes to common students, but that ignores their value.100k show up to watch Texas play football on a Saturday. Approximately 0 fans show up to watch a thermodynamics test. The Texas debate team as slightly less revenue than the 100 million the football team brought in. There is a reason the banker makes more than the gardener. If you want to attack this issue, you need to figure out where the line lies. Texas,Bama, and OSU are clearly inside the line, directional state is outside. NCAA is starting to take steps to recognize this and eventually there will be a much smaller Div 1 football field

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh please, the % of people who make the NFL even at places like Alabama is less than 5% of the total players and probably less than 1% in all of the P5 schools.

Of those that do make the NFL, they are given the tools and such they need to even make it to that level for free. Valuable coaching and other benefits that they can not get ANYWHERE else without spending large sums of money. Money which obviously they don't have if they are complaining.

If they were NFL ready out of highschool, then the NFL would be interested in them. The NFL is not interested in them and the NFL wants them to spend the 3 years minimum in college because they need it. Many of these "super stars" can't even make it in college football and end up being busts. You think the NFL wants to pay these fools millions? Fuck no.

Richard Sherman didn't add shit for value to the Stanford program while Stanford adding a shit ton of value to Richard Sherman and he is a damn fool for not recognizing it.

I was sympathetic to paying them until I found out how much money they actually get. Beyond that it's absolutely ridiculous.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh please, the % of people who make the NFL even at places like Alabama is less than 5% of the total players and probably less than 1% in all of the P5 schools.

Of those that do make the NFL, they are given the tools and such they need to even make it to that level for free. Valuable coaching and other benefits that they can not get ANYWHERE else without spending large sums of money. Money which obviously they don't have if they are complaining.

If they were NFL ready out of highschool, then the NFL would be interested in them. The NFL is not interested in them and the NFL wants them to spend the 3 years minimum in college because they need it. Many of these "super stars" can't even make it in college football and end up being busts. You think the NFL wants to pay these fools millions? Fuck no.

Richard Sherman didn't add shit for value to the Stanford program while Stanford adding a shit ton of value to Richard Sherman and he is a damn fool for not recognizing it.

I was sympathetic to paying them until I found out how much money they actually get. Beyond that it's absolutely ridiculous.

Couple questions
1. What does the percentage of kids making the NFL have to do with the amount of money they bring to a university? Nice straw man
2. Why would the NFL have interest in High School players? They have a free farm system already. Makes 0 sense to try and subvert that and spend millions on their own development.
3. You are no longer sympathetic, because you are comparing them to the average. Their abilities are not easily replaceable. Unless you are going to tell me that for every Bama or Texas player there are a 100 applicants out there with similar skills. Are you going to make that claim?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple questions
1. What does the percentage of kids making the NFL have to do with the amount of money they bring to a university? Nice straw man
2. Why would the NFL have interest in High School players? They have a free farm system already. Makes 0 sense to try and subvert that and spend millions on their own development.
3. You are no longer sympathetic, because you are comparing them to the average. Their abilities are not easily replaceable. Unless you are going to tell me that for every Bama or Texas player there are a 100 applicants out there with similar skills. Are you going to make that claim?

As to point 3, what he is saying is that players get over 10k per year cash money legally from the universities plus room, food, class, clothes, books, shoes, etc. if 95% of players don't make the NFL then the other 80 players on scholarship are getting a free education and set up for their future careers.

And obviously, if it weren't for Stanford, no one would know who Richard Sherman was considering he was not a high recruit or a high draft pick, so I doubt any NFL team was going to take a chance on him out of high school.