• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RG3 is the future

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need to get behind him. He accepts he needs to get better. We have our best chance with him moving forward . Period

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have always felt this way

We have no other option

He needs to be healthy and we need to get a line to protect him

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have always felt this way

We have no other option

He needs to be healthy and we need to get a line to protect him

I agree with you. Improvement on OL and we need a pass rusher.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team has a guy with 13.5 sacks which is 5th or 6th in the league. :noidea:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree OP

From an outsider...non-biased view...RG3 has failed to deliver on his hype...and he may never do that. That's a long line of players, not a reason to cash in the chips now...But at the same time...he has shown enough to play out his rookie deal as the starter imo. HC/QB need to get on the same page...QB needs to get coached up on what he's seeing in different situations where it looks like he can release a ball and ends up running or taking a sack...he seems to have the ability to learn.

He's a 4 yd machine when he runs, and can still turn one into 50...incorporate a little bit of that in a game plan on bootlegs...sweep with a pass option...probably out of no huddle. But...to get a big 2nd contract, he's going to have to get consistent with his comp. % and keeping the chains moving as a distributor.

For now, focus high picks on other positions of need.

Good win.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an outsider...non-biased view...RG3 has failed to deliver on his hype...and he may never do that. That's a long line of players, not a reason to cash in the chips now...But at the same time...he has shown enough to play out his rookie deal as the starter imo. HC/QB need to get on the same page...QB needs to get coached up on what he's seeing in different situations where it looks like he can release a ball and ends up running or taking a sack...he seems to have the ability to learn.

He's a 4 yd machine when he runs, and can still turn one into 50...incorporate a little bit of that in a game plan on bootlegs...sweep with a pass option...probably out of no huddle. But...to get a big 2nd contract, he's going to have to get consistent with his comp. % and keeping the chains moving as a distributor.

For now, focus high picks on other positions of need.

Good win.

:agree: he should come back and compete for his position. No $16 million dollar contract extensions.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: he should come back and compete for his position. No $16 million dollar contract extensions.

Agree. Lets not blow his performance out of proportion yesterday. He had a good game and showed improvement. Good first step. He still has a long way to go and is no guarantee to get there. We should play out his contract and he should be given every opportunity to WIN the starting job next year, but nothing is given too him. We also should not exercise the extension for $16M. This is a risk, but we need that money for support around who ever our QB is. Bottom line is he has not earned the extension yet.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An important part is he was only sacked twice. Griffin also seemed to be a little more agreeable to running the ball. It just has to be a part of his game just like it has to be for Russell Wilson.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An important part is he was only sacked twice. Griffin also seemed to be a little more agreeable to running the ball. It just has to be a part of his game just like it has to be for Russell Wilson.

Yeah, that was important. Gruden kept the play calling very simple. Almost too simple. Every first down was a stretch run right. Eagles knew what was coming and so did everyone else. We still have serious issues on 3rd down. Jordan Reed was almost non existent in this game. Not sure why, but I did notice that on many passing plays, we only sent out 3 receivers, keeping the TE in to block.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making him earn it...yeah I get that, but unless WAS is going to bring in somebody else...it's already proven that the other options are not better than RG3...if he outright sucks, yeah sit him...but this idea of competing for the starting job is wasting time...he should get next year to see if he's worthy of another contract in WAS.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said anything about the $16 million extension? Hell a month ago they were about to throw him out along with the 4 day old tuna sandwich

The write up by the Steeler fan was pretty spot on. I agree he played much much better but let's not blow it out of proportion. But it was just good enough to warrant bringing him back, a position I have held all along. And he certainly showed he was as good as the other 2 with much more upside. If we can ever give this guy a pocket he can still be good.

I don't understand why the pick was a big deal. Even if he threw it deeper the safety was there, and this after a pump to the left. It was no big deal, 3rd and a mile deep in your end means you either throw a deep pass that worked out to be a 50+ yard punt with no return or you try to force a pass into coverage for a team that has converted .00003% of their 3rd and longs. But yes a perfect pass would have been a TD but that's a lot to ask in that situation. One of his deep balls to DJax was also underthrown or it would have been a TD. But after watching Jason Campbell etc throw that pass out of bounds or 3 yards too deep I'll take a pass that gave his WR a chance to make a play. PS Andre Roberts is dead to me.

I tell you one of his best, and biggest, plays he made was holding onto the ball and not fumbling after the Eagles player trucked Chester and nailed Griff right on the ball just before it was released.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to bring him back... Really, what other choice do they have??

Now. If they could get a good deal for him which I don't think they can, then move him.

Bottom line, unless he plays significantly better next year, I am talking major improvement, his future is probably not here. Gruden and alot of the fanbase (including myself) is ready to move on.
Staying healthy, an average QBR of 80-90, and a .500 record should be prerequisites for any new deal. If he can't do that... He needs to be let go.

I honestly hope he turns the corner and makes me totally eat crow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've been saying since I joined here what options do they have? With better protection he will be at least as good as anyone they can find off the street. So why not ride this train and see where it takes you? He can always improve, he showed that since coming back from the benching. Of course at that point he only had one direction he could have gone and that was up.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making him earn it...yeah I get that, but unless WAS is going to bring in somebody else...it's already proven that the other options are not better than RG3...if he outright sucks, yeah sit him...but this idea of competing for the starting job is wasting time...he should get next year to see if he's worthy of another contract in WAS.

I couldn't disagree more. Sports is a competition based job. Not only on game day but also within your team. Griffin was handed the job with no fight at all. Maybe the best thing to happen to him was for Gruden to let him know he doesn't get the job on a platter.

I also don't agree that the other two guys have been proven to be worse. Actually I think all three are fairly close. All have warts and all have bright spots. Read Keim's article today about Griffin. Those first couple of paragraphs say it all.

Who mentioned the $16 milllion? I did. I don't want to see Snyder do something stupid and kick in the 5th year clause. Nothing is proven yet.

I am not watching one football game where he played pretty well and calling him the starter if I am coach. If he earns, then good for him and I will be rooting him on. If he plays like he did a couple of weeks ago then deal with that.

j_y Skins were probably trying to give Griffin more protection so they kept the TE in more. I think knowing the Eagles single up on wideouts likely had something to do with it too. Gruden probably like his WRs against their CBs. I think Trevor Matich said it best when he said "DJax has been running free all year and Griffin struggled to get him the ball for several reasons," Griffin fooled them yesterday, he got the time and got the ball there accurately.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Redskins exercise that $16 million option in May I'll buy you lunch. It will be in the form of a gift certificate at the Stardust in Waldorf.

Wait, it burned down years ago? Damn. They got a Dennys there right?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't disagree more. Sports is a competition based job. Not only on game day but also within your team. Griffin was handed the job with no fight at all. Maybe the best thing to happen to him was for Gruden to let him know he doesn't get the job on a platter.

I also don't agree that the other two guys have been proven to be worse. Actually I think all three are fairly close. All have warts and all have bright spots. Read Keim's article today about Griffin. Those first couple of paragraphs say it all.

Who mentioned the $16 milllion? I did. I don't want to see Snyder do something stupid and kick in the 5th year clause. Nothing is proven yet.

I am not watching one football game where he played pretty well and calling him the starter if I am coach. If he earns, then good for him and I will be rooting him on. If he plays like he did a couple of weeks ago then deal with that.

j_y Skins were probably trying to give Griffin more protection so they kept the TE in more. I think knowing the Eagles single up on wideouts likely had something to do with it too. Gruden probably like his WRs against their CBs. I think Trevor Matich said it best when he said "DJax has been running free all year and Griffin struggled to get him the ball for several reasons," Griffin fooled them yesterday, he got the time and got the ball there accurately.

Sportster...you see the team every week most likely and me 5 or 6 games a year...so I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong...but my point of view from watching the NFL a long time...Cousins ...decent, at times has played better than RG3 so yeah, you can win games with him, but he has some limitations that will prevent him from being a playoff caliber QB...McCoy's time has come and gone....as NFL QBs, just keeping it real...if all 3 players were on the waiver wire...RG3 gets picked 1st 99.9% of the time imo.

Competition...you definitely want it and if RG3 wants to start he'll be ready to play...you give him the keys for the season unless he just absolutely stinks it up and then you know he's not the long term answer.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sportster...you see the team every week most likely and me 5 or 6 games a year...so I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong...but my point of view from watching the NFL a long time...Cousins ...decent, at times has played better than RG3 so yeah, you can win games with him, but he has some limitations that will prevent him from being a playoff caliber QB...McCoy's time has come and gone....as NFL QBs, just keeping it real...if all 3 players were on the waiver wire...RG3 gets picked 1st 99.9% of the time imo.

Competition...you definitely want it and if RG3 wants to start he'll be ready to play...you give him the keys for the season unless he just absolutely stinks it up and then you know he's not the long term answer.

Sounds good. There are reasons Griffin hasn't played up to the level he should. IMO one is he was handed the keys to the kingdom without ever earning them. I also believe that he has been stunted learning to play in a pro style offense.

I still believe Cousins can be a good QB if they can coach the INTs out of him. I am not overly concerned about that yet because many QBs in their firs 16 games throw a lot of picks. That is my reasoning for competition between the two.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Lets not blow his performance out of proportion yesterday. He had a good game and showed improvement. Good first step. He still has a long way to go and is no guarantee to get there. We should play out his contract and he should be given every opportunity to WIN the starting job next year, but nothing is given too him. We also should not exercise the extension for $16M. This is a risk, but we need that money for support around who ever our QB is. Bottom line is he has not earned the extension yet.

Only looking at it from a Numbers stand point mind you. But we are currently set to have around $58 million in cap space in 2016 AFTER we pick up his 2016 option which I expect the team might actually do. Now I figure that will realistically be around $20 million after we draft and sign players for 2015. Do i think he has earned it?? Nope. Do I think it would be in the teams best interest?? Actually yes for the one fact that we arent setting our selves up for a QB or bust draft in 2016. But I think the real best option would be to extend him long term on a deal similar to the on Kaep signed. Obviously not as high paying, but its a deal that the team can walk away from in any offseason and save cap space in doing so. If he performs, he gets paid. If the team feels like he is failing, they walk away and arent committing cap suicide.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing has changed for me . he still has a lot to learn in the pocket and in the mental aspect of the game .

so no , i wouldnt give him the extension

he would need to earn the job in TC

i would bring in bradford for real competition and dump mccoy

so no i would keep the anointing oil on the shelf

i am happy that the past few weeks he is looking better but i see 2 years before he is an effective pocket passer