• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RG III to Cleveland according to Schefter

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have a 100% completion percentage and never get a first down. A high YPA means you're moving the football.
YPA doesn't tell you how good a QB is, just the system. In Scouting a college QB I would think you need to worry about how good/Intelligent they are...... Otherwise you end up with a Ryan Leaf.
No I am not a College stat guru by no means, just remember him throwing long passes where his WRs were going & getting them. (don't even know what his YPA would have been) Never understood why a YPA is considered a logical QB stat?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
YPA doesn't tell you how good a QB is, just the system. In Scouting a college QB I would think you need to worry about how good/Intelligent they are...... Otherwise you end up with a Ryan Leaf.

It's impossible to know how "intelligent" a QB is because that's a vague term. But what I see when I watch Cook is a QB who diagnoses a play & releases the ball quicker than any QB I've seen from a college QB in a long time except Andrew Luck. His release is extremely quick too.

As far as the system goes, he played in a pro-style system against great defenses and had a very low interception percentage.

Of course he has risks & issues on which he needs to work, but after years of watching a guy who's football ret*rded play QB (Kaepernick), Cook would be a breath of fresh air.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have a 100% completion percentage and never get a first down. A high YPA means you're moving the football.

But it's still playing in a system in college where you can greatly inflate your numbers. Tim Tebow left college with the highest career yardage EVER in CFB in a major conference (only a couple BYU QB's and a Boise St one were higher). He was in about every statistical PASSING measure the best QB the SEC has ever had.

Here's your all time greatest passers in the SEC by YPA

Tebow
Wuerrful
Manziel
Aaron Murray
AJ McCarron
Ryan Mallett
Jason Campbell
Jamarcus Russell
Connor Shaw
Rex Grossman
Mike Bobo
Herb Tyler
Tyler Wilson

Sorry Peyton, Eli, Stabler, Namath, Tarkenton, you aren't it.

Best QB at Michigan by that stat?
Denard Robinson
Todd Collins
Devin Gardner
Elvis Grbac
Jake Rudock
Sorry Tom Brady... not good.

Guess what Happened in 1998 when Peyton went to Indy??? Tee Martin had a higher YPA than him that year at Tennessee. Man they regretted not going with Leaf the guy with the elite YPA huh?

Look it is a tool, but to blindly say YPA means success in the NFL isn't true. Of the top 11 all time in CFB YPA, they've combined for 1 playoff win (Tebow). Of the QB's to win a SB, the top ones in college YPA are Jim McMahon and Trent Dilfer.

Yes it means you are moving the ball in college. But when I find a stat that says Brett Favre and Dan Marino are way below average and Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell are elite... I don't put much stock into that stat anymore. To me that is not a good predictor of NFL success if it clearly and easily puts those two busts over two of the greatest passers of all time.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I do like YPA at the NFL level. For a simple stat it is very solid. Just that I've never heard one college scout or NFL draft guy hitch their horse to that stat, and looking at the guys who rock in YPA, I can see why.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's impossible to know how "intelligent" a QB is because that's a vague term. But what I see when I watch Cook is a QB who diagnoses a play & releases the ball quicker than any QB I've seen from a college QB in a long time except Andrew Luck. His release is extremely quick too.

As far as the system goes, he played in a pro-style system against great defenses and had a very low interception percentage.

Of course he has risks & issues on which he needs to work, but after years of watching a guy who's football ret*rded play QB (Kaepernick), Cook would be a breath of fresh air.
to be fair I know nothing about Cook, & didn't mean to make it seem I am talking trash about Cook himself. I was pointing out the fact that using YPA as the barometer for how good a QB is, is crazy. No matter who they are.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I agree with this a lot of this part here.

But found a fun similarity..

Colin Kaepernick in college 7.9 YPA 1.88 INT%
Connor Cook in college 7.9 YPA 1.88 INT%

Now that is WAC vs. Big 10, but just had a laugh seeing that. It's why I think stats can be so misleading, even in a pro-style offense in college.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
to be fair I know nothing about Cook, & didn't mean to make it seem I am talking trash about Cook himself. I was pointing out the fact that using YPA as the barometer for how good a QB is, is crazy. No matter who they are.

Of course looking at YPA alone would be crazy. It's just one of many things to evaluate in a college QB.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McNown deserved to continue to start for the Browns, man he has gotten the whole screwed over treatment. Firstly, he had to deal with idiots were trying to start Manziel at every chance while being over scrutinized for every little mistake. Secondly he performed well last year, the Browns found ways to lose in spite of McNown's play. Now he is hardly mentioned and has basically lost the starting job to an inferior quarterback, who got ran out of another city. On top of that, the Browns morons that they are still plan to draft a quarterback, as if they don't have plenty of holes on the team. So if the "qb guru" Hue revitalizes the career of one RG3, the rookie quarterback, mr. 2 overall pick gets to ride the bench until RG3 sucks again while McNown on the other hand is walking around mumbling to himself.

Trade the fuck down, you need talent, you need more picks, you build through the draft.

I'm sorry...unless you made the pro bowl or had a standout season...nobody deserves anything when you win 3 games...especially QB.

RG3...I have no clue what is going to happen there, but McCown is a career journeyman for a reason...could he serve as the stopgap QB as good or better than RG3?...based off what we've seen from RG3 lately...yes.

Draft...Trading down makes sense, but it takes two to tango...if nothing else RG3 allows them to take Ramsey or Tunsil at 2 and come back with maybe Cook at 32...but if they take Wentz or Goff at 2, and RG3 plays well, you have two trade chips...RG3 has a very tradeable contract...if he doesn't play well, ditch him next year and your soph QB starts.

McCown or RG3 is a legit debate, but new HC...he deserves to make that call...his job is the one on the line. As decisions go...this was not a bad one imo...being CLE it could turn out that way.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns apparently signed Austin Davis for no reason. He could very well be a better option than either McCown or RGCle

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I do like YPA at the NFL level. For a simple stat it is very solid. Just that I've never heard one college scout or NFL draft guy hitch their horse to that stat, and looking at the guys who rock in YPA, I can see why.
YPA is a great stat for NFL but I do agree that it doesn't apply in the draft process. I also believe that there is an accuracy floor but I haven't done any research on it. Generally 60% is my rule of thumb not as a qualifier but as an eliminator of someone who can be an NFL QB.

edited

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YPA is a great stat for NFL but I do agree that it doesn't apply in the draft process. I also believe that there is an accuracy floor but I haven't done any research on it. Generally 60% is my rule of thumb not as a qualifier but as an eliminator of someone who can be an NFL QB.

edited

Agreed, but completion percentages are also inflated by the bubble screens and quick dumps frequented by spread offenses, so that floor may need to vary based on system.