• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

retire lou please just freaking retire

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true it better mean moving Larsson for some scoring. No doubt injuries happen and the odds of Sal and Volch staying healthy the whole season arent good but still. If Volch isnt bought out now he wont be bought out next season so by that time ya gotta think Serverson or Santini will be ready.

As for this season...Zids, Greene, Merrill, Gelinas, Fayne?, Sal, Volch, Larsson...and of course Harrold..one (or two) of these guys cant be on the team this season.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's more likely an ownership decision than a Lou decision, in my opinion.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Captain is right. Even if he planned to buy out A-train he would never say so. He would just do it.

Is it time for Lou to go? Yeah, in my opinion it is. But this is hardly the reason why.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok I will repost on here in 5 days when the buyout period ends. Him keeping a get out of jail free card with this contract is insanely stupid.

Ownership telling him not to do it? Could be but I hope not. I hope billionaire owners aren't that cheap to worry about a 4 million cap hit. What's that say about them willing to sign any top ufa this summer.

Nah let's go into the season with 8 NHL d men again. Or heck let's lose fayne to ufa because we are keeping a train.

But you are right I will revisit this thread next week when we have the same lineup.

If he doesn't use the buyout this ranks up there with keeping the #29 pick

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I actually think its the smart play to make with regards to the Dmen. a normal buyout on Sal would probably cost $1 mil this year and next. Sal still gets paid the same money for both buyouts. Meanwhile, you get to have 8 Dmen available for training camp and preseason. Sal and Volch both have major injury risks so if one goes down before the season, then problem solved. If one of the rookies comes into camp unfit and really regresses then you have a plan B. There may also be a desperate team that loses out on key FA that needs to patch up a Defense spot and grabs one of the guys in a trade.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't want Salvador bought out I want volcehbkov bought out. The whole plan for us to get our youth in the lineup is hoping one of the two guys that we can get rid of gets hurt? Better yet like you said chances are one of them will get hurt. Wtf!!!!! Do we need to keep an injury prone player making 4 millio. No because we have one that is making 5 already!

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What is this hole that you're speaking of? Did something actually happen other than Lou saying something along the lines of "maybe yes, maybe no" again

You can't just say we're going to use one. What if he's still trying to just trade one of Salvador/Volch. What team is going to trade you an asset knowing you're going to buy them out. Look at Tallinder.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You can't just say we're going to use one. What if he's still trying to just trade one of Salvador/Volch. What team is going to trade you an asset knowing you're going to buy them out. Look at Tallinder.

well for 3 reasons

1. volchenkov has a NTC which i doubt he will move just for anyone

2. why would anyone want him at that price?

3. if it was that easy to trade them or if there were takers it would've been done already.

salvador IMO is easier to move since he has only 1 year left on his deal but i doubt he gets moved either because he is one of lou's guys.

a wait and see approach as mentioned before is FAIL because if one of these guys gets injured (god forbid) long term then you CAN'T trade them!

i was reading on tg's blog the other day and someone made a good point. can someone explain to me the rationale in trading a young and promising d man and keeping an old expensive one? i get that they are more valuable but really whats the point in going out and dealing larrson for say evander kane when your rolling out a train and salvadore? shouldn't we be trying to keep our young and promising talent?

lou's comments on this are even more alarming.

“We like our players,” Lamoriello said. “You’re not going to do a compliance buyout unless there’s a reason for it. There’s no players we don’t like."

btw what "asset" are we really going to get back for either one of these bums? a 5th round pick? now granted i will take any draft pick i can get but is it really worth it? running the risk of not being able to buy out volchenkov on the hopes that you can get a 5th round pick for him?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well for 3 reasons

1. volchenkov has a NTC which i doubt he will move just for anyone

2. why would anyone want him at that price?

3. if it was that easy to trade them or if there were takers it would've been done already.

salvador IMO is easier to move since he has only 1 year left on his deal but i doubt he gets moved either because he is one of lou's guys.

a wait and see approach as mentioned before is FAIL because if one of these guys gets injured (god forbid) long term then you CAN'T trade them!

i was reading on tg's blog the other day and someone made a good point. can someone explain to me the rationale in trading a young and promising d man and keeping an old expensive one? i get that they are more valuable but really whats the point in going out and dealing larrson for say evander kane when your rolling out a train and salvadore? shouldn't we be trying to keep our young and promising talent?

lou's comments on this are even more alarming.

“We like our players,” Lamoriello said. “You’re not going to do a compliance buyout unless there’s a reason for it. There’s no players we don’t like."

btw what "asset" are we really going to get back for either one of these bums? a 5th round pick? now granted i will take any draft pick i can get but is it really worth it? running the risk of not being able to buy out volchenkov on the hopes that you can get a 5th round pick for him?

I know you hate everyone on the team but there are 29 teams that would want Volchenkov if he were bought out. He has value and is a solid player. A team that needs grit and a vet presence would be a good fit for him (think Edmonton, Isles, Tampa).

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes i agree. if volchenkov was bought out he would land on another team. is there another team that would take him and his contract at his age? NO. factor in his NTC then thats a double NO.

just because you are being bought out doesn't mean you 100% suck. it just means you aren't worth what your contract is anymore. richards will find a home and he should hes still solid player just not worth 6 million for 6 more years. hell even scott gomez found a home after montreal.

i would be fine with volchenkov on this team if he was making less for less time and had a less of a role on the team and not keeping out young defense from getting playing time.

i'm shocked that no one on here is upset at the fact that mark fayne who is younger and probably same level d man then a train is going to be on the bubble because of this lack of a buyout.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Devils re-signed potential unrestricted free agent defenseman Marek Zidlicky on June 3, Lamoriello said “we’ll be doing some other things” to make room for the organization’s young defensemen to play regularly. He said that is still the intention. It’s just that it won’t be by utilizing a compliance buyout. (At least, as of right now.)

“We have every reason to believe – and (head coach) Pete (DeBoer) and I have talked about this quite a bit – that our young defensemen are ready to be given that opportunity,” Lamoriello said.

And Lamoriello feels the team has the cap space to make the moves it needs to improve without using a compliance buyout.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
doesn't make sense to me without using the buy out.

they have 11 in cap space.

have to sign larrson fayne a back up goalie an entire 4th line and jj. all for 11 million. that is unless they deal someone.

even if they let fayne walk your letting fayne walk over salvadore and volchenkov?

Last edited by a moderator:

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
to me there are no quick fixes with this squad.

use the buy out get the roster space and put a kid in there. sit out this summer and move some players at the deadline and make a splash next year. stasny isn't worth what he is going to get and to be honest with you i dont even know if he is legit. he has some really good players playing with him in colorado. bring him here who's he going to play with? brunner and ryder? jagr? henrique?

this team isnt going to compete for anything more then a playoff spot this year. so just build it right so we aren't in cap problems because we are trying to solve all our needs through UFA.

or hell just keep this team together and lets get the #1 pick

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While I definitely agree that not using the buyout would be a big mistake. Lou playing this close to the vest is 100% the right move. You're getting mad at him for not revealing all his plans. Whether or not he does trade Bryce of Sal, he certainly would want to try. If teams know the Devils are going to buy out Volch, there's no way they make a deal for him.. We'll see what happens. Let's just assume you're right that no one wants to trade for him, well fine, what's the harm with Lou not giving away too much info and buying him out later. Maybe Lou only wants to buy one of them out after he knows we have Fayne locked up.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
While I definitely agree that not using the buyout would be a big mistake. Lou playing this close to the vest is 100% the right move. You're getting mad at him for not revealing all his plans. Whether or not he does trade Bryce of Sal, he certainly would want to try. If teams know the Devils are going to buy out Volch, there's no way they make a deal for him.. We'll see what happens. Let's just assume you're right that no one wants to trade for him, well fine, what's the harm with Lou not giving away too much info and buying him out later. Maybe Lou only wants to buy one of them out after he knows we have Fayne locked up.

you know he does only have til monday to make a move? what type of return do you think he will get for volchenkov? 5th-7th round pick? how long do you think it takes to complete that "complex" of a deal? probably even less time then it does to do a contract with cam jansen.

you keep forgetting that volchenkov would want to leave here and why would he? he has a NTC.

you also keep forgetting that the devils have already painted themselves into a corner with this whole mess on defense. so whatever teams do want to make a deal have the advantage. we have i believe at last count 8 d men what kind of leverage is lou going to have when he calls other teams?

without using the buyout he is basically letting fayne hit the open market which no one seems to care about. which brings me to my next point.........................why would anyone want to trade for volchenkov when they can sign fayne who might be cheaper and is younger then volchenkov and is probably better and more dependable.

the guy plays 14mins a night i believe and is making 4.25 million for 2 more years yet he will be on the opening night roster or a healthy scratch in the press box. thats just insane!

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Free agent d men just got better with ehrnoff being bought out. Whatever trade value Lou thought he had with a train or Salvador is gone. Who would want to trade for them with the d on the market