• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Texas will not fire Strong during season

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas’ athletic director Mike Perrin did not exactly give Charlie Strong the strongest of endorsements after the Longhorns’ loss to Oklahoma State on Saturday, but that does not mean the head coach’s job is in immediate danger. In fact, one report says Texas will not fire Strong during the season.

ESPN’s Brett McMurphy reports that Texas will not fire Strong during the season. Instead, he says if any moves are made, they would likely involve the defensive coaching staff.

Texas’ defense has been abysmal of late. They gave up 49 points to Oklahoma State on Saturday and 50 points to Cal in a previous loss.

Texas did pull off a big 50-47 double-OT win over Notre Dame in their opener, but they allowed 47 points in that one too.

Strong is in the third season of a five-year deal that calls for a $10 million buyout. Texas had losing seasons in each of his first two years.

After Saturday's loss to Oklahoma State, Texas’ AD said everything would be evaluated regarding the program.

The 2-2 Longhorns face Oklahoma next Saturday in Dallas.

Report: Texas will not fire Strong during season

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fired by Thursday then.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're heading for 7-5, and that's if the players don't give up and no injuries. Not sure that will be good enough for him to keep his job. He's done a good job turning the offense around in 3 years, but the defense is just flat ass horrible. It should be interesting.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense???
WTF is Defense???

We had to score 50 points yesterday just to win the game.
Seriously.

Who the fuck needs Defense.

Charlie will be fine.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense???
WTF is Defense???

We had to score 50 points yesterday just to win the game.
Seriously.

Who the fuck needs Defense.

Charlie will be fine.

Defense is this thing that use to be really important until they made it nearly impossible to have with rules changes.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Strong is done. The defense is a complate mess. I expect Vance to be fired/demoted. Strong to take over the defense in a last ditch effort to save his job. Right now I think he swimming against the tide.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie Strong might be the worst coach I've seen carried off the field multiple times.

*Note: only saw Les Miles carried off field once

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Strong is done. The defense is a complate mess. I expect Vance to be fired/demoted. Strong to take over the defense in a last ditch effort to save his job. Right now I think he swimming against the tide.
Would winning against Oklahoma again save him?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would winning against Oklahoma again save him?

It would buy him time. It is still only game 4, so plenty of time to right the ship. That defense has to get fixed. If your head coach can't fix his special, what's the point of keeping him. If you hire a DC to fix the defense, it is basically admitting he is a bad coach

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be stupid to fire him during the season & ask recruits to wait for the new hire to talk them into sticking with UT. Strong is done because there's simply stronger candidates available. Strong is an excellent coach but obviously not the right fit for Texas. Someone put it great: "Charlie is one of the best mechanics you can find, but you can't rely on mechanics to sell the automobile."

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the rusty cows need to do to improve your defensive stats is to play my Miners every week. We've scored 38, 7, 14, 7 and 7 in five games this year. And it ain't like we've played been held down by a bunch of great defenses.
:sad2:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be stupid to fire him during the season & ask recruits to wait for the new hire to talk them into sticking with UT. Strong is done because there's simply stronger candidates available. Strong is an excellent coach but obviously not the right fit for Texas. Someone put it great: "Charlie is one of the best mechanics you can find, but you can't rely on mechanics to sell the automobile."

Luckily, most of the schools in Texas are struggling or already filled up on bread. Recruiting might not be as big of a deal as it has been in the past. Most the top kids are waiting until late. I think a hire like Herman, with strong in-state ties, might be able to finish well this year. Still way too early to think too much about it. All I know is Tigerbait is rooting for Strong

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily, most of the schools in Texas are struggling or already filled up on bread. Recruiting might not be as big of a deal as it has been in the past. Most the top kids are waiting until late. I think a hire like Herman, with strong in-state ties, might be able to finish well this year. Still way too early to think too much about it. All I know is Tigerbait is rooting for Strong
I remember reading something a year or so ago; basically stating Mack Brown was a great fit for Texas for as long because he epitomized what it meant to be part of the "Good Ol' Boys Club". Mack was great with administrators, boosters, and all the HS coaches in Texas loved him. Charlie came in rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. We know Charlie is very hard-nosed and likes to do things his way. I also know Charlie wasn't a consensus choice among the UT community back when he was hired.

Herman would be perfect. How about Larry Fedora as a dark-horse candidate?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading something a year or so ago; basically stating Mack Brown was a great fit for Texas for as long because he epitomized what it meant to be part of the "Good Ol' Boys Club". Mack was great with administrators, boosters, and all the HS coaches in Texas loved him. Charlie came in rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. We know Charlie is very hard-nosed and likes to do things his way. I also know Charlie wasn't a consensus choice among the UT community back when he was hired.

Herman would be perfect. How about Larry Fedora as a dark-horse candidate?

Right or wrong, there seems to be a cult of Herman in CFB right now. Seems he is the new "Saban".

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie Strong might be the worst coach I've seen carried off the field multiple times.

*Note: only saw Les Miles carried off field once

I remember when Muschamp got carried off after beating Georgia. Alums everywhere were facepalming, I'm sure, because we knew it would buy him time.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gladly take Charlie back in Louisville if he is fired by UT & Petrino takes a bigger job.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Larry Fedora as a dark-horse candidate?

Not a very different guy, if you ask me - will throw out a strong offense, but doesn't seem to value defense at all. He's probably a stronger recruiter than Strong, but TX recruits itself.

NY7

Kill HIllary
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a very different guy, if you ask me - will throw out a strong offense, but doesn't seem to value defense at all. He's probably a stronger recruiter than Strong, but TX recruits itself.
Fedora has done very well for himself at a basketball school. He also has Big 12 experience, once serving as OK State OC. I believe he's around the age Mack Brown was hired at UT coach from UNC. Fedora does value defense but hasn't found the right guy to run his. Chizik is laughable.