• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Texas will not fire Strong during season

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Strong is done. The defense is a complate mess. I expect Vance to be fired/demoted. Strong to take over the defense in a last ditch effort to save his job. Right now I think he swimming against the tide.

Big 12 is weird this year. Only guys guaranteed to come back next year are Coach Bro (because of dat contract) and the guys at ISU and Kansas. Everyone else is on shaky ground depending on how things go.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bedford demoted.

My guess, probably be an ambassador like Vince Young is and still paid his salary.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 is weird this year. Only guys guaranteed to come back next year are Coach Bro (because of dat contract) and the guys at ISU and Kansas. Everyone else is on shaky ground depending on how things go.

Wasn't big game Bob just extended like 3 months ago? He should be safe, but his staff sure aren't.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson? Snyder?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is Strong will beat OU, and think his job is safe. Problem is he's won big games in the past, just can't build on them.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is Strong will beat OU, and think his job is safe. Problem is he's won big games in the past, just can't build on them.

It is all about judging the product. I hate when coaches just cite the record. Big 12 is bad this year. In the summer I said I would not judge Strong based on record. I thought there was a chance Texas wins 6-7 and be much improved, but right now I think they can win 8 and not improve based on how poor the schedule looks today.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson? Snyder?
Wouldn't be a shocker for Patterson to get a call from LSU and take it, the wizard could retire any day now, he was close to calling it a day at the end of the season last year. He's right, we are 4-0 but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Dana winds up fired depending on how the season unfolds. If he goes on one his famous 3-4 games losing streaks then... that may well be it for him. Gundy has been in a spat with TBoone, Tech has zero defense again and Baylor will prob clean house after the season regardless of what happens so...

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be a shocker for Patterson to get a call from LSU and take it, the wizard could retire any day now, he was close to calling it a day at the end of the season last year. He's right, we are 4-0 but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Dana winds up fired depending on how the season unfolds. If he goes on one his famous 3-4 games losing streaks then... that may well be it for him. Gundy has been in a spat with TBoone, Tech has zero defense again and Baylor will prob clean house after the season regardless of what happens so...

I think LSU will go after a more offensive minded coach. Plus Patterson has a nice set up at TCU, I don't think he'll ever leave.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly was shocked watching the game. I know UT gets some big time recruits, but these guys were flailing at guys running by them or just not wrapping up. It wasn't one guy either -- it seemed like it was all of them. If they completed a pass -- the OSU guy seemed to gain about 10, 15, 20 yards after the catch.

Can't tackle TOO hard anymore, or you'll get a penalty/ejection

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bedford demoted.

My guess, probably be an ambassador like Vince Young is and still paid his salary.

Doesn't matter. Unless they turn into the 85 Bears on defense and win out, I think the booster won't care.

Coaching staff is done. I don't really think Strong is a bad coach, but he made some really bad hires on is staff.

But that's the ballgame. He'll go in to win somewhere else.......but I'm not sold on a guy like Herman. He could be the next Malzhon, and that's ASSUMING Texas can actually land him.

Rumor is the only other candidate they want is Patterson. I'm going to throw this out there......somebody tries to call up Chip Kelly, our boosters are just THAT arrogant

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor is the only other candidate they want is Patterson. I'm going to throw this out there......somebody tries to call up Chip Kelly, our boosters are just THAT arrogant

Y'all should stay away from Coach Waddams as far as possible. He's a classic big fish in a small pond.

For that matter, I think that describes Coach Strong to a large degree.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all should stay away from Coach Waddams as far as possible. He's a classic big fish in a small pond.

For that matter, I think that describes Coach Strong to a large degree.

Strong's biggest problem is he hired the wrong assistants......and none of the boosters backed him, ever. He's basically been on an island at Texas......hell he doesn't even have a real AD.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong's biggest problem is he hired the wrong assistants......and none of the boosters backed him, ever. He's basically been on an island at Texas......hell he doesn't even have a real AD.

But he's running a clean program, right? Got rid of all of Brown's troublemakers?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he's running a clean program, right? Got rid of all of Brown's troublemakers?

He more or less had to completely rebuild the program. He's set a solid foundation. Problem is boosters aren't patient enough to let him finish the job......especially given they didn't want him hired in the first place.

Texas boosters are a very rich, very arrogant bunch. They NEED a good ol' boy coach that knows how to kiss their collective asses.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 wins is going to be a stretch. Oklahoma, WVU, Baylor, TCU, even TT just flat out look better. Sub-.500 is not out of the picture.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 wins is going to be a stretch. Oklahoma, WVU, Baylor, TCU, even TT just flat out look better. Sub-.500 is not out of the picture.

At this point getting bowl eligible will be a stretch.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure there is an automatic loss on the schedule, so I wouldnt say it is impossible to win out. It is highly unlikely though. I have always said that I think Strong was building a great team in Texas, I was just never convinced he would make it long enough in Texas to see them produce. His issues are management related. From talking to people I have heard infighting amongst the coaches has been a staple of his time at Texas. I think he really misses Clint Hurt. That guy was his enforcer.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure there is an automatic loss on the schedule, so I wouldnt say it is impossible to win out. It is highly unlikely though. I have always said that I think Strong was building a great team in Texas, I was just never convinced he would make it long enough in Texas to see them produce. His issues are management related. From talking to people I have heard infighting amongst the coaches has been a staple of his time at Texas. I think he really misses Clint Hurt. That guy was his enforcer.

This is true. I don't see any guaranteed losses, but I don't see any guaranteed wins. Kansas is the closest.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is a guaranteed loss, but those 5 teams should all be favored. I think Strong is simply overmatched as a head coach. He's a great coordinator, but being a HC is just too much for him.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say he'll be gone as coach following the season.