• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Texas will not fire Strong during season

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is a guaranteed loss, but those 5 teams should all be favored. I think Strong is simply overmatched as a head coach. He's a great coordinator, but being a HC is just too much for him.
Agree, Big12 has some good coaches, gotta be on your toes about every game. Texas is a big enough program that getting a bona fide HC shouldn't be a problem.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is a guaranteed loss, but those 5 teams should all be favored. I think Strong is simply overmatched as a head coach. He's a great coordinator, but being a HC is just too much for him.

I really cant argue much. Losing control of the defense is about as damning as you can get for his credibility. I think his downfall was doing the non-coaching things (management), that are required at the big jobs.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, Big12 has some good coaches, gotta be on your toes about every game. Texas is a big enough program that getting a bona fide HC shouldn't be a problem.
Texas shouldn't have to settle, but who knows what's actually going on inside the guts of that program right now. It isn't good.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really cant argue much. Losing control of the defense is about as damning as you can get for his credibility. I think his downfall was doing the non-coaching things (management), that are required at the big jobs.
I thought Strong was supposed to be a defensive guy, too?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Strong was supposed to be a defensive guy, too?

he is a great defensive mind. Had success everywhere. Rumors floating around that Strong gave the offense preference in the spring and summer to do a total install and fix the issues. Apparently, Bedford was pissed and pouted over it. Just a rumor, but it seems to make sense given the results. I dont think in 3 season you go from fielding a very goood defense (2014) to one in shambles (2016). (Last year had talent, depth, and youth issues, so I dont put a bad defense on the coaches). Usually there are bigger reasons for coaching failures. These guys have long resumes and didnt just forget how to coach.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is a great defensive mind. Had success everywhere. Rumors floating around that Strong gave the offense preference in the spring and summer to do a total install and fix the issues. Apparently, Bedford was pissed and pouted over it. Just a rumor, but it seems to make sense given the results. I dont think in 3 season you go from fielding a very goood defense (2014) to one in shambles (2016). (Last year had talent, depth, and youth issues, so I dont put a bad defense on the coaches). Usually there are bigger reasons for coaching failures. These guys have long resumes and didnt just forget how to coach.
It's too bad, if they were smart they'd try and keep him on as a DC and bring in someone else with real experience as a HC to run the show. I doubt he takes the demotion at this point, though.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand this mindset. At this point, Strong couldn't do anything to save his job. He's toast. So I just don't understand why you keep a dead coach walking?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand this mindset. At this point, Strong couldn't do anything to save his job. He's toast. So I just don't understand why you keep a dead coach walking?

Let him try and win out, its not like you could fire him tomorrow and hire Tom Herman this week anyway. Herman is coaching his bowl game, so wait til the season ends and move on.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe not. I'm not saying this will make a big difference, but if somehow it does make a difference him calling the shots on defense and they turn it around, he'll be the coach next year. The reason is that if that happens, you have to think they still finish 8-4. That will be good enough for him to keep his job. 7-5, and it's anybody's guess.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad, if they were smart they'd try and keep him on as a DC and bring in someone else with real experience as a HC to run the show. I doubt he takes the demotion at this point, though.

That is usually the case, and never happens that I can recall. When Wade Phillips was HC here I, and many others, wished he would stay on as DC. Not likely to ever happen at a major school/team.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is usually the case, and never happens that I can recall. When Wade Phillips was HC here I, and many others, wished he would stay on as DC. Not likely to ever happen at a major school/team.
It'd be the best thing for his career IMO. If he fails this year, he's damaged goods. He might catch on somewhere like a Purdue or Wake Forest, but he's not getting another major job right now.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a pretty solid reputation. I doubt he will have issues finding a job as a DC. Might even get a lower level SEC job. he is pretty loved in SEC country from his time at South Carolina and Florida.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be the best thing for his career IMO. If he fails this year, he's damaged goods. He might catch on somewhere like a Purdue or Wake Forest, but he's not getting another major job right now.

I bet LSU would hire him in a heartbeat. He's a good DC. If Kiffin can latch on somewhere after his repeated shitshows, someone major will sign Strong.

If we didn't have ChavisGod, I'd really want to hire him. Double whammy for Jexas.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor should hire strong, clean up the program and bring Sterlin Gilbert with him. That'd be a slam dunk for them.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think LSU will go after a more offensive minded coach. Plus Patterson has a nice set up at TCU, I don't think he'll ever leave.
Yep. A percentage of a successful business is very attractive addition to compensation. Not sure how all the details are configured but talk on the street is that it is a very sweet deal.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson? Snyder?

Patterson I agree. Snyder I'm not so sure-they won't fire him but how much can he have in the tank.

Holgerson was on the hot seat to start the season, but that may have cooled. Stoops and Gundy should be safe but OU fans are getting edgy about their season and Boone won't STFU so if either teams tank who knows.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patterson I agree. Snyder I'm not so sure-they won't fire him but how much can he have in the tank.

Holgerson was on the hot seat to start the season, but that may have cooled. Stoops and Gundy should be safe but OU fans are getting edgy about their season and Boone won't STFU so if either teams tank who knows.

Patterson is never leaving TCU. Nobody can afford him. Patterson is secretly the highest paid coach in both the NFL and NCAA. He was given 20% ownership of a company owned by wealthy TCU alumni and makes an additional $17M-$20M a year on the side.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not. I'm not saying this will make a big difference, but if somehow it does make a difference him calling the shots on defense and they turn it around, he'll be the coach next year. The reason is that if that happens, you have to think they still finish 8-4. That will be good enough for him to keep his job. 7-5, and it's anybody's guess.
8-4 should not be good enough for him to keep his job. Especially because LSU just fired a coach for winning a national title and 10 games a year.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let him try and win out, its not like you could fire him tomorrow and hire Tom Herman this week anyway. Herman is coaching his bowl game, so wait til the season ends and move on.
Yeah, but if you fire him now you spend the next 3 months trying to get Herman to verbally agree to something. You also let the recruits know early what's going on. That gives you more time to adjust to decommitments.