• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Regular Season

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't make any sense. I'm not even going to try and understand.

Not much to say about today's game or the series in general. Not much hitting for the Reds this weekend.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing 2 of 3 to the Astros on the road isn't a dealbreaker. Could have won 2 of them, I suppose, so I got no real beef with the team as it played this weekend. Josh Smith pitched OK, Lamb and Reed show promise. Finnegan was no surprise. Not all that pessimistic going forward with those guys.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say overall the season hasn't been much different than we expected. A few individual performances maybe, but the w/l record is on par with predictions.

Adam Duvall's 20 home runs and nice rebound seasons by Bruce, Hamilton, and Cozart have all been bright spots. Two of them may be traded.

Votto is slowly getting his BA up. Suarez has become a strike out machine trying to yank every pitch he's thrown. BP is showing his age at the plate and in the field. The catchers get on base enough, but neither have power.

The obvious area that has been worse than expected is the bullpen. Injuries happen, but as a group they've been pretty dismal. There hasn't been one guy that makes you feel confident he's going to shut down the other team when he enters the game.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think, moving forward, that the Reds would be smart to build their infield around the guys they have now, including Suarez. I haven't seen Peraza enough to know if he can play SS or 2B. I think Duvall may be better suited for 3B, but he's no Brooks Robinson either. Cincy needs to take a serious look at this component. As Votto ages, his already sketchy 1B skills will probably diminish. All I see now is Ivan deJesus and a few guys in the minors who remind us of Negron or Valaika.
Cozart being traded is probable but not imminent. They could cut a deal with him since his age 30 year is coming up. A 2-year extension would not be a budget buster. Seriously as he is playing now, I'd make that deal.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any real reason to trade Cozart, that said, they probably will. Any idea of what the Reds will be looking for in these trades? . I'm sure it will be for prospects, but what kind? One thing for sure the minors needs help. So I'm guessing young undeveloped talent..that can help in a few years
I'm sold on Hamilton, if he stays where he is hitting and continues his defense. He made some plays this weekend that were unbelievable. I just hope he doesn't kill himself diving into the wall out there.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Cozart's player profile page he'll be 31 in August and a free agent in 2018. If they were to extend him through two years of free agency it might be similiar to Mesoraco's last three years at 3 yrs/$25M. I'm leary of the team extending 30+ year old players having a career year. I think they eventually trade him getting prospects keeping with the current strategy in place.

Dick Williams has been fairly adamant that the Reds are sticking to their plan. Winning this season and for all likelihood next season doesn't appear to be part of that plan. That doesn't mean they have to trade anyone at the deadline, but I'd be surprised if they extend Bruce or Cozart.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can agree to disagree on Cozart, comparing him to other 30-plus SS across MLB. Depends on the deal, however. Williams may disagree but a 2-year deal would give the organization time to see if Peraza can play and if Suarez can improve. The 2B problem is more glaring if Peraza's future is in the outfield, which is possible.

If they deal Bruce, and I am not sure now they will, they might get some horses back. One would hope as much. We have enough .245 hitters in the minors now.

I keep waiting for one of these top draft picks to actually play in the big leagues.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would you rank Cozart by comparison to Brandon Crawford? JJ Hardy?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little below Crawford on defense, not much. way ahead of Hardy on defense not close on overall offense.

I read somewhere that some writer thinks Crawford should be hands down the starting Shortstop in the AS game. His BA was about 260 with about 6 homeruns probably a few more by now. I said not only should he not be the starting SS, He shouldn't even be there. People came back and said he has by far the best war. don't know what that is for sure

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um .... Crawford is probably better but I am uneasy about his power surge. Just wonderin'. It's hard to say with the Giants with that pitching staff. How good are these guys?

Hardy, I don't see much ... I never liked him much in MIlwaukee. Seems to be hurt a lot.

Cozart would make me a lot happier if he would be better base stealer. but he's a smart SS. I think the Reds can win with him in the lineup for a couple more years, depending naturally on how his range holds up with the natural aging process. I suppose he could move to 2B. Emphasis here: I don't think I would go more than 2 or 3 years more with him, so a long-term deal would not be a good idea. Somebody needs to anchor down that position.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NLC shortstops ... I haven't seen all of them that much.
I like Russell with the Cubs in a lineup that doesn't seem to have a weakness. Amazing that 3 years ago, Castro was a lock at SS. I thought at the time he'd be better in CF. At the time, the Cubs needed a CF.
Peralta will cost the Birds the division. Diaz will get that job, pretty soon. He hits. Glove is OK, not great.
Mercer is filler, no matter how the Parrots slice it. Kang is probably better.
Scribes are high on Villar so the Broos may have a winner there. Odd shit happens to players in Milwaukee.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The old blind squirrel-acorn theory applies here but at least lately, the Reds have shown a sense of combative spirit, much different than we saw in May. Could be, the pitching has stabilized, but I remain wary. Iglesias seems to be a key component moving forward. I like this team better now than I did a month ago.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that you hit the nail on the head John. This team seems to play harder and are competitive than a month ago. And much more than last year after the trades, when it seemed most of the team laid down.
I'm encouraged by the starting pitching I think it is only going to get better.
Now after Bruce and probably Cozart are traded who knows what will happened

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The old blind squirrel-acorn theory applies here but at least lately, the Reds have shown a sense of combative spirit, much different than we saw in May. Could be, the pitching has stabilized, but I remain wary. Iglesias seems to be a key component moving forward. I like this team better now than I did a month ago.

I thought the same thing John. I never expected a miracle this season but I hoped that once all of the pitchers made it back from the IR, we would see a much better team. We all knew that pitching was going to be an issue from top to bottom. I just can't help but wonder what our record would be if we would've started the season with the current rotation (plus Homer) and bullpen. Not in contention, obviously, but definitely better than 28-43. Homer, Disco, Finnegan, Lamb, Reed, Straily and the bullpen with Wood, Cingrani, Iggy, Lorenzen, Smith, Hoover, and one other of the current relievers or maybe one of the lefty starters for LR. The offense has actually been pretty steady except for a few games here and there. IMO, it has been a very pleasant surprise.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god, this bullpen. Is it not time to completely cut Hoover?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's the first run Hoover has allowed since being recalled, but I can't see where the Reds can have any confidence in the guy moving forward. When you're as prone to giving up HR's as JJ is, it's just a matter of time.

Just add the two last night to the ridiculous league leading amount of long balls this bullpen has served up this season.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Straily pitched well with the exception of a self destructive 4 run 4th. A couple walks and a HBP and the next thing you know there's a crooked number on the board.

Loss of focus or lack of confidence?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bullpen has given up 16 first-batter HRs this year, including those last night.
Sometimes it's been on the first pitch.

I think there are just a lot of games you can't win, and Hamels has owned the Reds for years.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I knew this was going to be a tough game to win as soon as I saw Hamels was pitching. The good thing is, we shouldn't have to face him again for a few years

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lamb has any intentions of staying in the big leagues, he needs to stop going 2-0 on every .212 hitter.