• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel the need to remind you that all were big games and yes all should be team wins , yet you dont see it that way its all KC's fault

Only the losses and tie are KCs fault.

The wins were due to the superior talent around Kirk and any one on the planet could have done better than Kirk.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel the need to remind you that all were big games and yes all should be team wins , yet you dont see it that way its all KC's fault

All against sub-par or at the very best, average teams.

Heh. Its kinda funny at times, irritating at others, but just because you think X was the reason I said what I said. That don't make it true. Y'all need to stop doing that.

And how exactly would the Skins winning games constitute that being the fault of a Redskin player? How do you fault someone for winning?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. You've got it straight. Its not about money. He will have more money than God (Forrest Gump). That will not be the final decision point.

Well, if it isn't about the money with KC we will see in due time. We will offer a somewhat reasonable contract and KC will sign it. I'm sure another last ditch offer will be made before 7/15...so we shall see if he takes it. He may prove me wrong?? But the $$$ is the major part of it. My guess is much short of a Luck contract and he won't bite.

You are also assuming that there is some major hatin' going on between KC and the FO. There have been no indications, at least publicly, that this is the case.

I have said it before... I think Kirk is content on playing on the tag again this year (rolling the dice) and standing to get a BIG BIG contract next offseason with the team of his choice/one of the highest bidders.

Let me ask you this...if his buddy Kyle Shanahan and the '9ers offer him a nice contract next offseason and our FO counters with an equal or better deal... do you think he leaves??? I think he might... and I think that would be bullshit.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if it isn't about the money with KC we will see in due time. We will offer a somewhat reasonable contract and KC will sign it. I'm sure another last ditch offer will be made before 7/15...so we shall see if he takes it. He may prove me wrong?? But the $$$ is the major part of it. My guess is much short of a Luck contract and he won't bite.

You are also assuming that there is some major hatin' going on between KC and the FO. There have been no indications, at least publicly, that this is the case.

I have said it before... I think Kirk is content on playing on the tag again this year (rolling the dice) and standing to get a BIG BIG contract next offseason with the team of his choice/one of the highest bidders.

Let me ask you this...if his buddy Kyle Shanahan and the '9ers offer him a nice contract next offseason and our FO counters with an equal or better deal... do you think he leaves??? I think he might... and I think that would be bullshit.

And why would it be bullshit?? The real BUllshit would be that in order for Kirk to get a long term contract with the Redskins, he first has to get offered a long term contract by another team. THe whole move the goal posts mentality of the front office and some of the fan base is whats bullshit.

If Kirk wants to get out of town I actually dont blame him one bit. Because it aint about the money as he will get paid. It might just be about him saying, do I really want to deal with these folks (Dan and Bruce) any more if i have another option.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't answer that question yet, but I do agree that it is a real possibility that he would leave to team up with Kyle as opposed to staying here. I do think that KC has to be a bit hurt by the way he has been handled since he arrived here. It was reported that Dan never even acknowledged him or spoke to him until mid way through his second year. Never even said welcome to the team or hi as they passed one another in the hall or locker room. He knew Dan was not happy that Shanahan drafted him.

Listen, I get you aren't sold on KC and I can understand that. Obviously there are still questions. But I, for one, have seen major growth from KC over the last 3 years. And the vast majority of this growth has come due to his own hard work and dedication. He has overcome many issues. SO I see no reason not to expect to see continued growth and improvement. Not physically, but mentally. Just experience alone will make him better. He seems to be very self aware in his weaknesses and puts plans in place to address them. But more to the point, even if he doesn't progress much further, the guy is a top 10 QB in this league. He is one of the most accurate and has the arm to make all the throws (remember how the knock was he couldn't make the deep pass? Well last year put an end to that talk). He is fully capable of leading this team into the post season. He needs support. All QBs do. He will never be a Brady or Rogers, but 99% aren't. What I think he really wants is respect. And I don't think this FO has shown it. They've talked it, but not followed up with action. Make the guy a fair offer. Something in the Luck range is fair. If that happens, I think he signs this year. IF not, he plays on the tag and I give it a 70% probability that he is gone next year. And I think that will send us back into the QB russian roulette game where we spend an inordinate amount of precious draft resources trying to find someone that is as proficient as KC all the while watching our other stars in their prime (Williams, Kerrigan, Reed, Crowder, etc) fade away.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heh. Its kinda funny at times, irritating at others, but just because you think X was the reason I said what I said. That don't make it true. Y'all need to stop doing that.

And how exactly would the Skins winning games constitute that being the fault of a Redskin player? How do you fault someone for winning?
That's the thing - His first year, he didn't beat ANY good teams, and his second year - they were essentially .500, were bad in the red zone, and choked in the last game of the season. At his age, sure he could improve, but realistically ya gotta expect he is what he is. And there is value in what he is. If they do sign him, I'll be ok with it - though not real excited because he'll get an enormous contract because he has all the leverage. I don't know why people want to make out as if this is a question of greed - it's just business and leverage. But I think what's most likely is - he's a lame duck - which isn't a good situation for the Skins.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can just imagine if the Cleveland Browns or Jacksonville Jags finally found a good but not great QB and they somehow allowed him to walk virtually every Redskins fan would be shaking their head and laughing at the "same old Browns".

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can just imagine if the Cleveland Browns or Jacksonville Jags finally found a good but not great QB and they somehow allowed him to walk virtually every Redskins fan would be shaking their head and laughing at the "same old Browns".
Every time Allen talks about it, he acts like it's a 100% sure thing he'll sign, and I just get the feeling he's lying. We'll see. Btw, over the last 2 decades plus... we're familiar with analysts laughing at us and saying same old Skins. Allen's put the Skins in a situation where Cousins has ALL the LEVERAGE. That's not going to change, so if nothing's been done now, why should we have any reason to believe there will be something done? Cousins can simply wait a year and likely get even more than he could get now, and he's shown he's perfectly willing to do that. And that's business - not greed.

Until/if you see evidence to the contrary, I think you should anticipate he won't be here in 2018.

Ok, I'm all Cousins'd out. Is that a word? Hopefully, he leads us to the SB, and I eat crow.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time Allen talks about it, he acts like it's a 100% sure thing he'll sign, and I just get the feeling he's lying. We'll see. Btw, over the last 2 decades plus... we're familiar with analysts laughing at us and saying same old Skins. Allen's put the Skins in a situation where Cousins has ALL the LEVERAGE. That's not going to change, so if nothing's been done now, why should we have any reason to believe there will be something done? Cousins can simply wait a year and likely get even more than he could get now, and he's shown he's perfectly willing to do that. And that's business - not greed.

Until/if you see evidence to the contrary, I think you should anticipate he won't be here in 2018.

Ok, I'm all Cousins'd out. Is that a word? Hopefully, he leads us to the SB, and I eat crow.
I agree with this 100%.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this too.

I know this is a reach...But let's just say our FO throws an offer on the table before 7/15, pretty well at the cap number this year (24) with a good guarantee. Something around, maybe slightly less than Licks deal. A really good contract.

....and he still turns it down.

What would all of your thoughts be on KC then?? Just curious.....

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you have been doing it much of the time

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this too.

I know this is a reach...But let's just say our FO throws an offer on the table before 7/15, pretty well at the cap number this year (24) with a good guarantee. Something around, maybe slightly less than Licks deal. A really good contract.

My thought would be he wants out of this zoo.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this too.

That he likely decided his principles are worth more than the money, especially if he can get the same money else where. At some point at every job, no matter how good the pay, we all have or will get to the point where we say... I can not deal with these people another damn day. I doesnt have to be hateful, it could just be going on six years of fed up with Dan and Bruce and their attitude towards him. Kirk knew they didnt want him here, he knows they didnt expect him to do well. And even when he did do well, they have still to a degree been like, well we are only paying you this much because we have no choice and you wont work for cheaper.

So yea at some point it might just come to a case of, Im going to make the same money, let me go someplace where IM not constantly being reminded by my boss that IM only doing this because I have no other option.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That he likely decided his principles are worth more than the money, especially if he can get the same money else where. At some point at every job, no matter how good the pay, we all have or will get to the point where we say... I can not deal with these people another damn day. I doesnt have to be hateful, it could just be going on six years of fed up with Dan and Bruce and their attitude towards him. Kirk knew they didnt want him here, he knows they didnt expect him to do well. And even when he did do well, they have still to a degree been like, well we are only paying you this much because we have no choice and you wont work for cheaper.

So yea at some point it might just come to a case of, Im going to make the same money, let me go someplace where IM not constantly being reminded by my boss that IM only doing this because I have no other option.
I know some will vehemently disagree with this, but KC is also a reminder of the huge mistake that Dan and Bruce made in RG3. Shanahan drafted KC and I'm sure that pissed some off in the FO. KC is a reminder that RG3 failed and Shanahan was right (meaning Dan was wrong). Dan doesn't impress me as the type that likes to be reminded of his failures.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some will vehemently disagree with this, but KC is also a reminder of the huge mistake that Dan and Bruce made in RG3. Shanahan drafted KC and I'm sure that pissed some off in the FO. KC is a reminder that RG3 failed and Shanahan was right (meaning Dan was wrong). Dan doesn't impress me as the type that likes to be reminded of his failures.

But... I have been told in no uncertain terms that everyone is over the whole RG3 thing.

By the way, I 100% agree with you here and have said this a few times. I also think the dislike of Kirk by a portion of the fanbase is tied to his replacement of Griffin at first, and has now just fallen into the Im not a fan of Kirk

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this is the major thing IMO . why else do you let this drag on ?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this too.

I don't think a deal will get done before 7/15. The risks are too great. There is no reason to lock him up now. So many options next year if he does play well to make him stay. Plus the 2018 Qb draft class makes it even tougher to get a deal done. Six or seven Qb's who will have a 1st or 2nd round grade on them going into the draft.

If we give him the LTD now and he fails we are screwed. If we wait we can still give him a LTD next year or move on and save a shit load of money. That is my opinion on this mater.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you have been doing it much of the time

What's that? Telling other people what they think/mean/say? If so, yeah, that's happened a time or two. *Unlike you, and another poster or two though. When I do it I don't sound like a preteen girl experiencing her first ever "time of the month."

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's that? Telling other people what they think/mean/say? If so, yeah, that's happened a time or two. *Unlike you, and another poster or two though. When I do it I don't sound like a preteen girl experiencing her first ever "time of the month."
well at least the insults are good

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is the major thing IMO . why else do you let this drag on ?

:pound:It's comical that you guys think that any significant portion of the fan base or FO is still having wet dreams of RG3 holding up the Lombardi Trophy. So much that they are praying for the KCs house of cards to come tumbling down...so that they can save face and look right. That's some conspiracy theory stuff right there.

I'm sure most everyone just wants to be a winner... long term. It's acceptable to have some reservations with Kirks somewhat inconsistent play/incomplete resume just as much as it is to be optimistic and be one of the "I'm convinced...I've seen enough crowd"

Glass half empty = Glass half full