• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

redskins expected to pick up RG3 's option

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am kind of with you on this one. I hope that this is at least an indicator that RG3 is doing well with his offseason work. I also hope that no mulligan is required on this one & we look back on this in a few years & say "Wow - he was right". One can only hope.

That really depends on a lot of things. If you're strictly going off of what we saw int he past two seasons, you might be right. But I'll leave it to Scot and Cavanaugh to make an assessment of how Robert projects in the future. And you'd be really surprised to hear how many outsiders think that RGIII can still be a legit franchise QB. This isn't like some of those outsiders speaking highly of Rak but only citing to his Pro-Bowl awards. These other guys break RGIII down and discuss his raw talent, intellect, and how unforeseen circumstances have gotten in his way. (If you're wondering, yes, they also mention his drawbacks, including his ego.)

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some perspective

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really depends on a lot of things. If you're strictly going off of what we saw int he past two seasons, you might be right. But I'll leave it to Scot and Cavanaugh to make an assessment of how Robert projects in the future. And you'd be really surprised to hear how many outsiders think that RGIII can still be a legit franchise QB. This isn't like some of those outsiders speaking highly of Rak but only citing to his Pro-Bowl awards. These other guys break RGIII down and discuss his raw talent, intellect, and how unforeseen circumstances have gotten in his way. (If you're wondering, yes, they also mention his drawbacks, including his ego.)

No - you are kind of echoing my take about RG3's offseason. Who knows. Also - as I have indicated numerous times - I don't care about the off field stuff (he has severely cut back on social media & it is not as if he really gets in trouble unlike others). The play on the field is all that matters - all we can do is hope for the best at this time. Ego is no big deal - all successful QBs have one.

Go RG3 & HTTR.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No - you are kind of echoing my take about RG3's offseason. Who knows. Also - as I have indicated numerous times - I don't care about the off field stuff (he has severely cut back on social media & it is not as if he really gets in trouble unlike others). The play on the field is all that matters - all we can do is hope for the best at this time. Ego is no big deal - all successful QBs have one.

Go RG3 & HTTR.

My issue with his ego arose at the end of the 2012 season. He was somehow offended that he was viewed as a running QB and wanted to transition into being a pocket passer overnight. It was clear he couldn't do that, but he insisted Shanny gameplan for that anyways. That basically was the beginning of his precipitous fall from grace.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with his ego arose at the end of the 2012 season. He was somehow offended that he was viewed as a running QB and wanted to transition into being a pocket passer overnight. It was clear he couldn't do that, but he insisted Shanny gameplan for that anyways. That basically was the beginning of his precipitous fall from grace.

I feel pretty confident is saying that he has learned a lot since that time & his ego has been set back a few notches. Losing four times as many games as your rookie year & being crucified by fans & the media on a non-stop basis will generally have that effect on a player.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel pretty confident is saying that he has learned a lot since that time & his ego has been set back a few notches. Losing four times as many games as your rookie year & being crucified by fans & the media on a non-stop basis will generally have that effect on a player.

Yep, he certainly has. Let's hope it continues.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my take is can cavanuagh help tavaris jackson because that is what Rg3 is at this point ? tavaris jackson is how he played like in the last 2 seasons

what i saw of him is he couldnt trust the offense he was in , wanted to make the big play every play , didnt know where to go with the ball , had crappy mechanics, didnt know what or how many step drops he needs to take couldnt read or even manipulate defenses at a basic beginners level

that is where he is at now . i have questions if he is even coachable

hopefully it can get worked out but i have reservations about it

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hope it works out but not a huge fan of the move. they could've franchised him if he plays well this season.

The top 5 QB contracts average nearly $21 million/year this year. That figure will only go up after next season. That would be the minimum price to retain Griffin if they franchised him after next year. Now they have him for $17 million with an out and that gives them another year to evaluate. I know I'm in the minority but it's not like they've got a whole lot of other options so why not ride the Rookie of the Year one more year before cutting bait and turning to the Colt McCoy's of the world? It is a risk, not doubt, but only if he gets hurt. I know I know, he always gets hurt. But the bigger risk would be to allow the possibility of Griffin going back to a high level and not being able to retain him after all they have invested.

If he stinks up the joint again next year and it's time to move on they cut him and this 5th year means nothing. If he plays better, OK to pretty good but not good enough for a $21 million deal which is exactly what I think will happen, now they are covered and retain his rights for the 5th year.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top 5 QB contracts average nearly $21 million/year this year. That figure will only go up after next season. That would be the minimum price to retain Griffin if they franchised him after next year. Now they have him for $17 million with an out and that gives them another year to evaluate. I know I'm in the minority but it's not like they've got a whole lot of other options so why not ride the Rookie of the Year one more year before cutting bait and turning to the Colt McCoy's of the world? It is a risk, not doubt, but only if he gets hurt. I know I know, he always gets hurt.

If he stinks up the joint again next year and it's time to move on they cut him and this 5th year means nothing. If he plays better, OK to pretty good but not good enough for a $21 million deal which is exactly what I think will happen, now they are covered and retain his rights for the 5th year.
I'm not a big fan of the move, but I get why they did it. The only risk is if he gets severely injured and can't play in 2016. They are giving him every opportunity to succeed. Which I guess they should. I just am no longer a believer that he has what it takes to make it in the NFL.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also frees up the franchise tag for Trent or Kerrigan. If Griff lights it up in year 5, well then you either franchise him or work out a long term deal.

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a smart guy he can't seem to figure out what type of QB he is (was)... when everybody else on the planet knows exactly. Little story: When I got my first piece of ass at age 36:yes: I was hooked. it was the greatest thing and I wanted to be in the movies and hook up with all the best everyday all day, but reality has to sit in at some point that you're just not cut out. Mine came when they nicknamed me the inch worm. Point is Griffin ain't a pocket passer. It's just not in his makeup. He was a threat when linebackers feared him to run and they played tight and he beat you with run and pass. Now he has a fear of getting hurt and he's the one playing tight which give's him happy feet back there. Not sure he can overcome his fear of getting hurt again. Rehab is hard and painful. Picking up his option was the smartest thing they could have done. If he struggles early you bench him and let Cousins try his hand again. If Griff struggles they'll release him because he will be done in Washington. If he plays lights out they'll believe he's their guy and then sign him long term. Just my take.

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top 5 QB contracts average nearly $21 million/year this year. That figure will only go up after next season. That would be the minimum price to retain Griffin if they franchised him after next year. Now they have him for $17 million with an out and that gives them another year to evaluate. I know I'm in the minority but it's not like they've got a whole lot of other options so why not ride the Rookie of the Year one more year before cutting bait and turning to the Colt McCoy's of the world? It is a risk, not doubt, but only if he gets hurt. I know I know, he always gets hurt. But the bigger risk would be to allow the possibility of Griffin going back to a high level and not being able to retain him after all they have invested.

i get why they did it. i just think he's going to get hurt and will be on the hook cap wise fori t.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get why they did it. i just think he's going to get hurt and will be on the hook cap wise fori t.

That's obviously the risk and there had to be some sort of risk or this decision was a no-brainer. I'm fine with them leaving the door open to see if he develops, I mean there are literally no other options now or for the immediate future so let's see what we've got with Griff?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in hindsight its the right move if he stinks up the joint next season they can cut him and not be on the hook for him for 16 mil . if he gets hurt then its another story

but the franchise had to show the players that they gave him every shot