• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

redskins expected to pick up RG3 's option

RedskinzDan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It says the unnamed source is an idiot. There is NO WAY we should pick up his option. He isnt worth 16M even if he plays light out this year, which is very very unlikely. More likely he is injured or benched by game 4.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate unnamed sources but people on this board think they are flawless and should be accepted as face value

i wonder where the trust in SM falls in on this if true or is danny really running the show still ?

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While unnamed sources can be of dubious credibility, look at the guy reporting it: Mark Maske. He's not some hack reporter. He wouldn't publish something if he thought it was bogus, and actually offered his opinion that taking Mariota at number five was a "longshot." If he thought the source was not legit, he would've probably have said do.

But we shall see, won't we?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While unnamed sources can be of dubious credibility, look at the guy reporting it: Mark Maske. He's not some hack reporter. He wouldn't publish something if he thought it was bogus, and actually offered his opinion that taking Mariota at number five was a "longshot." If he thought the source was not legit, he would've probably have said do.

But we shall see, won't we?

he and others at the WAPO routinely publish things that arent researched and prove to be faulty

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YOu know, I actually would not be upset if they picked up the option. Because if they are even considering it, it means that the plan is likely to put this.......
images

rg-3-knee-4_3.jpg

In front of this...

And Im ok with that

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not sure that picking up his option is the right move

the last 2 years he has played like tavaris jackson not a trend setting qb of his rookie year

i just dont see how you justify that move based on his health and play on the field

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate unnamed sources but people on this board think they are flawless and should be accepted as face value

i wonder where the trust in SM falls in on this if true or is danny really running the show still ?

I think some of this depends on how RG3 has been progressing over the last several months (is he actually reviewing a lot of tape, working on his mechanics, etc). You will never hear about boring stuff like this from most of the media - all they care about is his twitter acct & similar.

I would wait a few weeks before jumping in on any conspiracy theories. For all we know SM & co are throwing out lots of bad info just to throw folks off track. If I were in their shoes I would do this all the time except for media members that I trust (which is an ever shrinking group).

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why pick up the option? they can just franchise him while they work out a new deal.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not sure that picking up his option is the right move

the last 2 years he has played like tavaris jackson not a trend setting qb of his rookie year

i just dont see how you justify that move based on his health and play on the field

You justify it because the only way we cant rescind it is if he is so injured that he cant start training camp next year. If he sucks this year, he will be benched by mid season. If he looks good, he will play out the season. If he looks average, the only way we get burned is if he gets hurt in weeks 12-16... and my guess is if he isnt looking good he wont be playing by that time.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like what?

go back to last off seasons' posts and look at them yourself .mostly it has to do with cuts and who we sign /trade for or the new coaching staffs and the numerous unidentified sources who say one thing and the other happens . and the Rg3 csi BS

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont trust the WAPO on sports reporting or any other reporting for that matter

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
go back to last off seasons' posts and look at them yourself .mostly it has to do with cuts and who we sign /trade for or the new coaching staffs and the numerous unidentified sources who say one thing and the other happens . and the Rg3 csi BS

With Maske? Every reporter misses things. But he's no JLC. The guy is as respected as they come.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont trust the WAPO on sports reporting or any other reporting for that matter

I know former WaPo sports reporters that were idiots (e.g., JLC, Nunyo Demasio). But some of the guys there are okay like Mike Jones.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i take that with a grain of salt. maske and jones are decent but they have the same flaws . i dont hate them i just dont count their word on investigating as rock solid

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither do I. But they've earned reputations for being solid reporters. Having said that, I hate unnamed sources. That sounds like the National Enquirer. But I'll bend if it's one of them reporting it -- i.e., I'll trust that the unnamed source has been vetted by them as being credible.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the info provided by Brandt, I can see the argument for extending Griffs contract.

Excerpt

The real key, as outlined in a post last year by Andrew Brandt of SI’s MMQB, is that the option amount is guaranteed only for a 2015 injury that knocks him out for all of 2016.

“The “true guarantee” for the option — guaranteeing the player against release due to skill, injury and salary cap reasons — does not activate until the start of the [2016] league year in March. NFL teams now have 10 more months of contract control and negotiating leverage with very little risk.”

That explains it.

Brandt also writes:

“The risk of serious injury is small; the reward of contract control is potentially significant.

In fact, the only way I would not apply the option for [2015] is if the player has a tenuous future for [2015], let alone [2016]. The risk of serious injury is small; the reward of contract control is potentially significant.

Exercising the option allows the team to: (1) evaluate the player another season before the decision point for the “true” guaranteed year, and (2) use the leverage of another contract year to negotiate an extension on team-friendly terms, knowing the player is under team control through 2015.”

So while there is some risk involved, it’s not quite what it seems.

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he and others at the WAPO routinely publish things that arent researched and prove to be faulty

Mike Jones IMO takes the time to vet his sources thoroughly. now if you were talking about Jason Reid...on the other hand.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sally Jenkins certainly did us no favors. And really HATED Mike Wise :gaah: