• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Sparrow (2018)

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Sparrow (basically, Jennifer Lawrence as Black Widow, but not made by Marvel):

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First full trailer:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard it will be R rated. Better be, for a movie about a chick who uses her sexuality to kill people.

Anyway, seems like your run of the mill assassin movie. Meh. That'll be a straight to stream for me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just like that, Marvel announces a Black Widow movie...

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just like that, Marvel announces a Black Widow movie...

Wow, I thought you were joking at first, and then checked, and, yeah, Blacklist writer Jac Schaeffer actually did just get announced on Wednesday -- just two days after the first full Red Sparrow trailer debuted -- as getting tapped by Marvel to write a Black Widow movie.

Nice find! :suds:

Ha ha, Marvel is probably frustrated that Disney didn't acquire Fox early enough for them to have channeled the development/production for this movie into the Black Widow one. :laugh:

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess that means Black Widow won't be killed off during the first part of Infinity War.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the Red Sparrow book a while ago, pretty good read.

She isn't playing a Black Widow type, she is more of a Russian spy who works through sex and seduction and a US CIA officer who essentially falls in love with her and convinces her to flip on Mother Russia.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the Red Sparrow book a while ago, pretty good read.

She isn't playing a Black Widow type, she is more of a Russian spy who works through sex and seduction and a US CIA officer who essentially falls in love with her and convinces her to flip on Mother Russia.
But isn’t that essentially BW’s back story?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But isn’t that essentially BW’s back story?
it's possible, I don't know BW's backstory.

From the looks of it, she wasn't in any kind of "sparrow school" like the character in Red Sparrow. I would expect this to be more of a CIA spy thriller than a comic book action movie, but who knows.

Born circa 1928, Natalia "Natasha" Romanova was apparently orphaned as a child when she was trapped in a burning building during an early attack on Stalingrad by enemy forces. Ivan Petrovitch Bezukhov, a Soviet soldier, found Natasha in the inferno and rescued her. Although Ivan kept a close eye on Natasha as she grew, by the late 1930s she had attracted the attention of Soviet intelligence, which began her training. In 1941, she was almost brainwashed into serving the ninja clan the Hand, but was saved by Ivan, Logan (James Howlett, later Wolverine) and Captain America. Following World War II, Natasha was recruited to become part of the Black Widow Program, a team of elite female sleeper agents. Among the Widow’s instructors was the Winter Soldier, formerly Captain America’s sidekick Bucky (James Barnes); Natasha studied as a ballerina to cover for her true occupation. The Soviet state eventually arranged for Natasha to marry Alexi Shostakov, a champion test pilot. After a few years of a happy marriage, the KGB faked Shostakov’s death in a rocket test; grief for Shostakov drove Natasha’s resolve deeper and she continued her education with the Red Room Academy, finally being appointed the title of the Black Widow.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From the looks of it, she wasn't in any kind of "sparrow school" like the character in Red Sparrow. I would expect this to be more of a CIA spy thriller than a comic book action movie, but who knows.
Clearly some details will be different, but the general gist is the same. And didn’t the MCU show a bit of BW’s back story in Ultron or CW (Winter Soldier??), and it was essentially what Red Sparrow looks like in the trailers (I have no idea about the RS source material).

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly some details will be different, but the general gist is the same. And didn’t the MCU show a bit of BW’s back story in Ultron or CW (Winter Soldier??), and it was essentially what Red Sparrow looks like in the trailers (I have no idea about the RS source material).

no, it did sort of in Agent Carter... not hers, but the main female KGB agent...

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black widow had a flashback of ballet dancing in a studio in Age of Ultron.

Last edited:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can see now is her butthole. Might as well put a blown up image of her bhole where her head is. lulz

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Black Widow definitely was in "sparrow school": it was called the Red Room, and the comics cover a lot of her time there. Black Widow is actually one of many Black Widows who got the same training as her. Also, the Black Widow solo comics (as opposed to the comics wherein she appears as part of a superhero team) are all spy thrillers.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess that means Black Widow won't be killed off during the first part of Infinity War.

She still could be killed off in Infinity War if the solo movie is set in the past about her earlier missions, like the Drakov/Dreykov's daughter, Sao Paulo, hospital fire, or Budapest incidents referenced in the Avengers movie, or how Hawkeye recruited her.

Marvel has shown a willingness to go back to past time periods for the whole movie/show with Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain Marvel, and Agent Carter.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She still could be killed off in Infinity War if the solo movie is set in the past about her earlier missions, like the Drakov/Dreykov's daughter, Sao Paulo, hospital fire, or Budapest incidents referenced in the Avengers movie, or how Hawkeye recruited her.

Marvel has shown a willingness to go back to past time periods for the whole movie/show with Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain Marvel, and Agent Carter.

Or the Winter Soldier incident. I forgot to mention that one.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just can't see many people being interested in a Black Widow movie that happened before the events up to now, especially if she happens to be killed off in Infinity War.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They clearly can’t do an origin story now, because Joe Q. Public will think they are just copying this movie. If they do a prequel, it will have to be Hawkeye recruiting her, or something like that.