• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Recruiting Thread:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude , read and follow the argument . AFTER ( do you understand the word?) 7478irish posted this about the kid with the issue about who paid for the tutor. " Or possibly the "tutor" just happens to look a lot like the athlete. And the "athlete" just happens to have a great test day and his SAT score just happens to magically jumps by 500 points. That's money well spent by the recruiter. And easy money for the tutor. No one gets hurt. And the head coach has plausible deniability for the whole thing. I was using the Golson case as an example of why WE SHOULDNT be judging because in your own back yard the kid you would have hailed as a "great student and QB" was actually cheating and here 7478 insinuates that that this kid possibly cheated when the thing in question was who paid for the tutor. Ya get that?
I didn't start a thread to put the kid (Golson) down or say he will never be a good person because of it. I said he cheated and if he would have been better at it you would have had someone with false grades as one of your top players while some ND fans talk crap about other schools players education. Do you get that ?
I didn't say his punishment was more or less than another school would have given. If you wanna make yourself feel better by telling yourself other schools wouldn't have done that it's up to you. Personally I've seen players ( starters) at SC lose a year because of academics so I doubt in their case it would be tolerated but like you I don;t really know every single thing that goes on.

My statement was in response to your comment of how minor a violation it was that a coach was only "paying for a tutor" to help the poor child prepare for college. So it wasn't really a violation, it was just a good deed that was simply misunderstood. And of course how papadakulous wasn't really giving improper benefits to SC football players, and how Reggie Bush wasn't paid to play at SC, just the opposite, he was paid by some bad men to leave. Please, don't even try today that we try to sugar coat our issues compared to the way SC treats theirs.

The joke about Matt Leinhart's issue wasn't that he needed a few more credits to graduate, it was that taking a ballroom dancing class actually qualified as a 3 credit course. (and taking one ballroom dancing class would let you qualify as an active student at SC)

And just curiously, which SC player lost a year due to academic performance. But I am glad to see that Randy Moss didn't make it into any of these posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't dismissing what Golson did, he broke the honor code and paid the price for it. I still don't believe another school would have punished him as much. Honestly I don't care what Barkley's course load was while at U$C, most schools don't challenge their student athletes like a Notre Dame or Stanford. I'm not surprised Barkley took a dance class to graduate.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't dismissing what Golson did, he broke the honor code and paid the price for it. I still don't believe another school would have punished him as much. Honestly I don't care what Barkley's course load was while at U$C, most schools don't challenge their student athletes like a Notre Dame or Stanford. I'm not surprised Barkley took a dance class to graduate.

FYI, the Matt I was talking about was Leinart, not Barkley.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well someone mentioned Barkley but I thought it was Leinhart that took a dance class.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well someone mentioned Barkley but I thought it was Leinhart that took a dance class.

Yes, SoCal mentioned Barkley, and Randy Moss, and Tee Shepard. I'm sure he thinks he made a compelling argument, I'm just not sure the point he was trying to make.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know Riggs uncle played for Notre Dame hopefully that puts them in the drivers seat for his transfer.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But you're not surprised Barkley took a dance class? Classic. Should I say I'm not surprised Zaire cheated on a test? LOL

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, SoCal mentioned Barkley, and Randy Moss, and Tee Shepard. I'm sure he thinks he made a compelling argument, I'm just not sure the point he was trying to make.

Of course you don't get the point. You'd have to admit ND fishes from the same pool. But that's ok. lol
I love when ND fans talk about RKGs when they offered and wanted the same players who choose other schools.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you're not surprised Barkley took a dance class? Classic. Should I say I'm not surprised Zaire cheated on a test? LOL

I think we were just all surprised that you could take a dance class for credit at SC.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you don't get the point. You'd have to admit ND fishes from the same pool. But that's ok. lol
I love when ND fans talk about RKGs when they offered and wanted the same players who choose other schools.

Yes, we fish from the same pool, but occasionally we have to throw them back. To your point Tee Shepard, Randy Moss got thrown back into the pool. Golson almost got thrown back, hopefully he can stay in this time. But if ND let you take dance classes for credits, we probably wouldn't have to throw any of them back. Ever. That's the advantage schools like SC have over ND.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Lienart got his degree in Sociology before leaving for the NFL. Jimmy Clausen left early and came back to get his degree in..... Sociology. Both made some money in the NFL and both are set because they were QB at SC and ND. what they learned or didn't learn in a particular class means squat. For most people it's the connections you make at school that makes the degree valuable. You can get a good education at many schools but few give you the alum network that ND , Stanford , USC ,Harvard and Yale (examples)do. You can be just as bright but if you come to LA or go to New York with a degree from Indiana State, Rutgers, Ohio State, Northwestern or Vanderbilt (examples) you don;t have the huge and powerful network that SC, ND have.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done work for former UCLA QB Cade McNown. restoring luxury homes in so cal. His boss is former UCLA QB Gary Beban . That's how it works. I'm sure there were many more qualified to take a 400k a year job a few years out of college but his connections got Cade that job. That's what Matt Lienart and Jimmy Clausen will do. So sorry if I think the dance class thing is just silly.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not understanding why you're on this board to argue about dance classes.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done work for former UCLA QB Cade McNown. restoring luxury homes in so cal. His boss is former UCLA QB Gary Beban . That's how it works. I'm sure there were many more qualified to take a 400k a year job a few years out of college but his connections got Cade that job. That's what Matt Lienart and Jimmy Clausen will do. So sorry if I think the dance class thing is just silly.

So at least we can agree that getting credits for dance class is silly.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we were just all surprised that you could take a dance class for credit at SC.

You can get a degree (Bachelor of fine arts in dance) . So yeah there are plenty classes in dance or about dance that you can get credit for . You do know you can get credit for drawing class at Notre dame right? It's all under a fine arts department.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we fish from the same pool, but occasionally we have to throw them back. To your point Tee Shepard, Randy Moss got thrown back into the pool. Golson almost got thrown back, hopefully he can stay in this time. But if ND let you take dance classes for credits, we probably wouldn't have to throw any of them back. Ever. That's the advantage schools like SC have over ND.

Didn't Tee Shepard spurn Notre dame not the other way around? Or are we re writing history?
LOL. Give me a break. Mr. Teo was playing football, going to practice and taking classes and somehow had hundreds of free hours to talk his sweatheart every night for how many months? You gonna tell me he's just that gifted of a student ? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Tee Shepard spurn Notre dame not the other way around? Or are we re writing history?
LOL. Give me a break. Mr. Teo was playing football, going to practice and taking classes and somehow had hundreds of free hours to talk his sweatheart every night for how many months? You gonna tell me he's just that gifted of a student ? LOL

I have no idea what happened to Tee Shepard. They don't usually give out the details the way they used to. I remember back when Carson Palmer got turned down by ND. It was a huge thing because everyone thought he was going to be a star. I think it was a big embarrassment for Carson, now they don't release any info regarding the reason that a player drops out or transfers. As for Teo, everyone I know said while he wasn't the smartest kid in school, he was a really hard worker, and I guess that what you want in one of your football players.