• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ray Lewis Vs Patrick Willis

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The VP never had the DL to protect him like Ray did, but considering he was the best player on the D for the best D in the history of the game I gotta say Ray. It's close though because the VP is EASILY the best ILB since Ray's prime.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You have to choose a player in his prime to lead your Defense for the future, who do you choose and Why?

Tough question because hopefully we haven't seen Willis' "Prime" yet. This is only his 4th year and he hasn't had a lot of help on defense. If you are talking Willis currently against Lewis in his prime, I gotta go with Lewis.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get the gist but...........don't think anyone said Willis doesn't have leadership qualities at all? the closest was he doesn't have GREAT leadership qualities.

whereas Lewis is a great leader so considering the original question, is the likely answer.

Alright, where is the proof that Willis isn't a great leader? I'm sure not murdering someone is a good start, amirite?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A video of Ray Lewis screaming at his teammate somehow proves that Willis isn't a good leader? Okay...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A video of Ray Lewis screaming at his teammate somehow proves that Willis isn't a good leader? Okay...

No, sorry i went to go look for a P Willis video, but i couldn't find one. By saying Ray Lewis killed someone that makes Patrick Willis a better leader? That's a completely different subject. I actually think Willis is a better player, but there is no evidence to suggest he is in any way shape or form a better leader than Ray Lewis.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this really a question? Definitely Ray Lewis, and I'm not a fan.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Ray but Willis has a chance to pass him

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this really a question? Definitely Ray Lewis, and I'm not a fan.

Of course it's a question. In their first four years:

Tackles
Ray Lewis: 578
Patrick Willis: 595

Tackles for loss per season:
Ray Lewis: 4.5 (I took Lewis' career average b/c ESPN didn't record them until 2001)
Patrick Willis: 6.5

Sacks:
Ray Lewis: 13
Patrick Willis: 15

Forced Fumbles:
Ray Lewis: 2
Patrick Willis: 8

PDs:
Ray Lewis: 32
Patrick Willis: 28

INTs:
Ray Lewis: 7
Patrick Willis: 4

The only two categories Lewis beats Willis in are PDs and INTs. But you're right, this should'nt even be a debate. :crazy:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, sorry i went to go look for a P Willis video, but i couldn't find one. By saying Ray Lewis killed someone that makes Patrick Willis a better leader? That's a completely different subject. I actually think Willis is a better player, but there is no evidence to suggest he is in any way shape or form a better leader than Ray Lewis.

That was just hyperbole, and I never argued that Willis is a better leader, I'm arguing against the notion that Willis isn't a great leader. The fact that you can't find videos of Willis in that regard on youtube means nothing - it just means that Ray Lewis is just more high profiled in that aspect.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it's a question. In their first four years:

Tackles
Ray Lewis: 578
Patrick Willis: 595

Tackles for loss per season:
Ray Lewis: 4.5 (I took Lewis' career average b/c ESPN didn't record them until 2001)
Patrick Willis: 6.5

Sacks:
Ray Lewis: 13
Patrick Willis: 15

Forced Fumbles:
Ray Lewis: 2
Patrick Willis: 8

PDs:
Ray Lewis: 32
Patrick Willis: 28

INTs:
Ray Lewis: 7
Patrick Willis: 4

The only two categories Lewis beats Willis in are PDs and INTs. But you're right, this should'nt even be a debate. :crazy:

+1

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I agree that just because he isn't as animated Ray does doesn't mean Willis isn't a great leader (not saying his a better leader than Ray is though).

Ray's antics make for good TV which is why you see a lot more videos of Ray than a lot of other players. Willis for all we know is pumping up his team in the huddle but since he isn't jumping around and shouting we just don't see it as much since it makes for a boring NFL film.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it’s going to be hard for me to take anyone over Ray Lewis. Ray has played the game with just a certain beast mode physicality about him, defined leadership and an uncanny “want” of wanting to be in those plays which listed themselves as game changers. You have a lot of guys who “will” take on that defining play, but this guy has always seemed to want, whether success or failed, he has always seemed to be the first guy with his hand up when it came to letting the game be decided on his shoulders. His vocal ability has certainly made him charismatic, anchoring arguably the greatest defense in the history of the Super Bowl era and completing the task is immeasurable by pure numbers, and the high level with which he and teams he has led over the years in terms of competitiveness and winning percentage is simply eye raising with respect considering the inept offenses that have been on the other side of the ball during his tenure. Sometimes circumstances help to mold or enhance the greatness of a player, and this is one of those cases. It is not the fault of PW that he has been pretty much the lone-gun on a bad franchise for quite some time, but in the end that will affect his overall aura when entertaining this topic of conversation. Hopefully the Niners turn things around to make this a conversation for me, but the intangibles considered and taken away leave me with Ray Lewis with no second guessing. But just like Joe cool, regardless of what Tom Brady does, the majority of football enthusiast take Joe Montana in that conversation. Sometimes that old school just has that Rick James aura that simply cannot be surpassed

Last edited by a moderator:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant really pick on this right now, willis still has a lot of football left. I think the reason people say willis isnt a leader is because he isnt screaming his brains out on the sidleline/field. Pat is just a quiet guy, while Ray will speak his mind. Willis even says so himself that he is just gonna be himself and let the play do the talking. As for lewis he lets the play do the talking as well as his mouth. No doubt Ray can get you fired up. Like i said though this would have to be discussed later on down the road. Maybe Pat will come out of his shell some more and be more vocal, but thats just not how he is. Time will tell.

drekeeper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I have to add (if my computer would stop back clicking) the passion and love for the game that Ray exhibits and plays with is simply captivating. PW is still a young guy, who is simply a physical specimen in terms of size and speed at the position but I think the comparison will be of better topic in a few seasons to be able to bring more of an accurate comparison so that the length of work can be evenly looked at.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was just hyperbole, and I never argued that Willis is a better leader, I'm arguing against the notion that Willis isn't a great leader. The fact that you can't find videos of Willis in that regard on youtube means nothing - it just means that Ray Lewis is just more high profiled in that aspect.

ok Clyde, there's no way to find proof Willis isn't a great leader. at the same time, you don't have proof he is? so you want to argue we don't have proof, but whats your basis?

if the question was "who are the leaders on the 49er team right now"? would you have named Willis first without a doubt? or would he have flowed out of your mouth second or third? cause IMO and yes its an opinion........if Willis was a GREAT leader - not just a leader - his name would would come first without hesitation.

going back to this thread - consisting of 49ers fans mind you - if Willis was a GREAT leader, there would be more than 0 votes for Willis.