• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ray Lewis Vs Patrick Willis

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to choose a player in his prime to lead your Defense for the future, who do you choose and Why?

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Patrick is better...alot of ray lewis tackles are gang tackles and he is very overrated on madden its sicking

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to say Pat, I love Ray, but Pat is just better in my opinion

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're saying who do i want to lead my Defense, then it's Ray. One thing Willis has never been is a great leader. Definitely a great player, but he can't motivate the way Ray does.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Willis hasn't hit his prime yet. We'll see his best when the 49ers become perennial playoff contenders and then we will see PWilley play at an even higher level than he is playing today; and, at that point, it becomes an easy decision - Willis

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You have to choose a player in his prime to lead your Defense for the future, who do you choose and Why?

since you said "lead your defense", i'll say Ray Lewis.

he's obviously a HOF LB and a very good 'on field' leader. he fires up the entire team and keeps every teammate playing at a high level.

next, his longevity or consistency over so many years has to factor in? guess i'm trying to say he has more 'prime' years? not to say Willis won't last as long, but we already know about Lewis and Willis is unknown?

i'm sure Willis has LB abilities better than Lewis, but to "lead your defense for the future", overall i'll say Lewis.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

he's obviously a HOF LB and a very good 'on field' leader. he fires up the entire team and keeps every teammate playing at a high level.

next, his longevity or consistency over so many years has to factor in? guess i'm trying to say he has more 'prime' years? not to say Willis won't last as long, but we already know about Lewis and Willis is unknown?

i'm sure Willis has LB abilities better than Lewis, but to "lead your defense for the future", overall i'll say Lewis.

Excellent points, Deep

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you're saying who do i want to lead my Defense, then it's Ray. One thing Willis has never been is a great leader. Definitely a great player, but he can't motivate the way Ray does.

Patrick is a better athelete and better individually as an inside linebacker, but Ray motivates that defense and that defense alone won them a Superbowl.

That Ravens Superbowl defense was the nastiest defense I have seen in my lifetime and it revolved around Ray. I think it's even better than the recent Giants defense from 2008. You just could not run on those Ravens at all. I wasn't around for the 85 Bears I heard they are in the same league.

Baltimore allowed 3 points (Denver) 10 points (Titans) 3 points (Oakland) and 7 points (Giants). If I remember right Eddie George got the only rushing touchdown against them and the Giants touchdown was a kick or punt return touchdown. Otherwise they are almost shutting everybody out.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also what I remember from that 2000 Ravens defense was back then you were allowed to pancake the quarterback as he was releasing the ball. So I can still picture Tony Siragusa doing that belly flop pancake job on Rich Gannon right after he released it, I think it dislocated Gannon's shoulder. :-)

The Raiders were crying foul after the play but back then I think it was legal.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Points guys, I agree Willis does lack the LEADER aspect of it.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with above posters. Ray Lewis for now...
Legend Lewis wants another ring for career wrap - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

"I don't ever want to be 24-year-old Ray Lewis again. I made too many bad choices. Now, I have the maturity, and I take care of my body. I haven't eaten fast food in 13 years. If people think I'm slow, let me say this -- sideline to sideline, there still isn't a 'backer in this business that can beat me. Sideline to sideline. Not one. I challenge you to find one.”

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that Willis lacks the leadership qualities. Just because he doesn't scream after every tackle and do tazered chicken dances when introduced onto the field doesn't mean he doesn't lead and/or make the players around him better.

That said, I'll take Lewis, though it's very, very close and Willis could change that the next few years.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that Willis lacks the leadership qualities. Just because he doesn't scream after every tackle and do tazered chicken dances when introduced onto the field doesn't mean he doesn't lead and/or make the players around him better.

That said, I'll take Lewis, though it's very, very close and Willis could change that the next few years.

I remember seeing Willis in an interview where they asked him about his leadership and he said it was something he was trying to improve on. This was a year or 2 ago, but the who would you rather have firing you up before and during a game? Willis doesn't have to scream and yell after every play, but it would nice to see him try and be unique in his own way of motivating players. Whether he's picking guys up, coaching them up, making jokes, slapping them on the ass, or whatever. I would just like to see him motivate and tell the Defense the things they need to hear to keep their heads in the right state of mind.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody can improve on their leadership qualities. I was just arguing against the notion that Willis doesn't have leadership qualities because he's not as rah-rah as Lewis. I've seen plenty of footage on NFL.com where Willis is verbally trying to fire up the defense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everybody can improve on their leadership qualities. I was just arguing against the notion that Willis doesn't have leadership qualities because he's not as rah-rah as Lewis. I've seen plenty of footage on NFL.com where Willis is verbally trying to fire up the defense.

i get the gist but...........don't think anyone said Willis doesn't have leadership qualities at all? the closest was he doesn't have GREAT leadership qualities.

whereas Lewis is a great leader so considering the original question, is the likely answer.

Mock2Speed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Very well put, deep. I agree, he's shown time again that his playmaking abilities have not taken a huge dip through the years. The team around him feeds of the energy he exudes on thw field, but thats just part of his persona, unless Willis is holding back all this time, I wouldn't expect him to just force things for the sake of doing it.

I'm just happy we're fortunate enough to have a LB of that caliber to be compared to the like of Lewis. So, for now, i'd say Lewis.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good, all such great points

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very well put, deep. I agree, he's shown time again that his playmaking abilities have not taken a huge dip through the years. The team around him feeds of the energy he exudes on thw field, but thats just part of his persona, unless Willis is holding back all this time, I wouldn't expect him to just force things for the sake of doing it.

I'm just happy we're fortunate enough to have a LB of that caliber to be compared to the like of Lewis. So, for now, i'd say Lewis.

agree, don't force it. just lead the way you've been leading.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray has done so much more than Patrick. Ray's leadership and play has done a lot to help three of his defensive coordinators get promoted to head coaches. Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, and Rex Ryan. None of those guys get that opportunity without Ray leading those defensive squads, in my opinion.