• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rank the Most Important Positions

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even remotely close. The early 1st round picks are LT and Centers RARELY get drafted even in the late 1st. Center is probably the least important position in NFL
Wow!
Saying finding a center is easier than a left tackle might be accurate, but as far as the importance of the position, you are truly lost.
Now if you debated which is more important position Center or Left tackle might be a decent debate, but to say it is the least important position on the team is straight crazy.

The Cowboys have a good line right now & I dont think anyone is gonna argue that Smith is better OLineman than Fredericks. Hell Fredericks probably ranks 3rd as a Cowboys Olineman.
However I think he is the most important position on the line. Wasnt till we drafted him, that the line started becoming something. you have a weak center you have a weak line.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT is not more important than CB. Not even close
Well it is close, & again depends on how a team is built. If you are talking good only. I would probably lean towards the CB. If you are talking elite. I would take the DT. All game plans, game plan not to have the center of the line be distruptive, whether for the run or the pass. An elite DT proves to disrupt it anyways.
An elite CB can be avoided, the elite DT cant.

but either way it is close, & I wouldnt want you as a GM of my team. I think you show a tendency to overvaluing the sexier positions & completely undervaluing the not so sexy positions.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I think people arent being fair to the positions. Someone said OL is 5 positions but want to rank them individually. Meanwhile if they thought the same way about WR (individually not as a pair or trio)
There is an argument for three or 4 OL spots be more important than the WR position individually. Granted not as sexy, especially in the draft, but the simple fact is there are only a handful (very few) WRs, that can beat against game planning. You can game plan a good WR ineffective. It takes a group of WRs to make a team pay for taking one out of game plan. Seems to me some might be ranking a group of WRs to an individual linemans (apples & oranges)
I think very specifically when I'm talking WR as a valuable position, I'm talking about the #1 WR mostly because they don't make many in the world that can really be scary on the outside. To me slot receivers are more easily found and about on par with a Guard in terms of value even though they can certainly change the shape of a team's success. A good recent example is when Larry Fitzgerald got moved into the slot 2 years ago and had one of his best seasons statistically even when he slowed down by a step or two. He wasn't necessarily great from what you look for in a slot receiver except from a hands perspective but a talent like Larry Fitzgerald is so rare that he was able to move into a lesser valued position and help his team win just as if he was on the outside earlier in his career.

To me you build your team from the trenches out.
I still think LT is a more valuable position than #1 WR so I'm basically making the same argument, to be honest.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think very specifically when I'm talking WR as a valuable position, I'm talking about the #1 WR mostly because they don't make many in the world that can really be scary on the outside. To me slot receivers are more easily found and about on par with a Guard in terms of value even though they can certainly change the shape of a team's success. A good recent example is when Larry Fitzgerald got moved into the slot 2 years ago and had one of his best seasons statistically even when he slowed down by a step or two. He wasn't necessarily great from what you look for in a slot receiver except from a hands perspective but a talent like Larry Fitzgerald is so rare that he was able to move into a lesser valued position and help his team win just as if he was on the outside earlier in his career.

I still think LT is a more valuable position than #1 WR so I'm basically making the same argument, to be honest.
I do agree every now & then when you land one of those WRs that beats every gameplan a DC comes up with, is pretty damn good position player to have. I was trying to point out barring those few players, the argument could be made. Nowaday player Julio Jones comes to mind.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB may be the most important but if I were building an expansion team I'd spend every available asset on OL and DL. Soon I'd be able to fill other spots on the roster with good "not great" players and our fans will start labeling them GOATs.

I agree you build your OL and DL ASAP, but you can't pass on a QB that can become a good starter. Let's face it once your strong in the trenches your going win a fair number of games and will be drafting in the bottom half of the draft, which leaves you needing the rest of the league to over look a gem at QB. It happens obviously but not often enough to count on that stradegy.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Think your way over valuing WRs. I got them near the bottom of importance. Basically ever year now a days you got a whole wave of WRs that could be adequate with every draft. Pats, Broncos, Seahawks have won the last four SB and I don't see the WR position being the reason what so ever. Even teams like the Saints or Packers who pass a lot, use a multiple numbers of WRs that are interchangeable to some degree.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think your way over valuing WRs. I got them near the bottom of importance. Basically ever year now a days you got a whole wave of WRs that could be adequate with every draft. Pats, Broncos, Seahawks have won the last four SB and I don't see the WR position being the reason what so ever. Even teams like the Saints or Packers who pass a lot, use a multiple numbers of WRs that are interchangeable to some degree.
Broncos and Seahawks haven't had a whole lot at offensive line, either. Generally winning a super bowl is done with a franchise QB or an elite defense and usually with both.

Still, Julio Jones was in the super bowl last year. Antonio Brown goes to the playoffs on a regular basis. Deandre Hopkins does as well and he doesn't even have a QB. AJ Green sometimes does. Mike Evans has likely been propping up Jameis Winston.

The top guys are worth their weight in gold imo. After that, yeah, WRs are fairly interchangeable.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow!
Saying finding a center is easier than a left tackle might be accurate, but as far as the importance of the position, you are truly lost.
Now if you debated which is more important position Center or Left tackle might be a decent debate, but to say it is the least important position on the team is straight crazy.

The Cowboys have a good line right now & I dont think anyone is gonna argue that Smith is better OLineman than Fredericks. Hell Fredericks probably ranks 3rd as a Cowboys Olineman.
However I think he is the most important position on the line. Wasnt till we drafted him, that the line started becoming something. you have a weak center you have a weak line.

I am truly lost? The fact that NFL teams rarely draft Centers in the 1st round and draft Tackles in the top 5 all the time screams what NFL teams think are important. If teams thought Centers were so crucial to sucess theyd draft Centers early. 3 Centers in the late first round over the last 5 years says that GMs dont value the Centers importance. So me, Bill Bellicheck, every GM in the league are all lost.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it is close, & again depends on how a team is built. If you are talking good only. I would probably lean towards the CB. If you are talking elite. I would take the DT. All game plans, game plan not to have the center of the line be distruptive, whether for the run or the pass. An elite DT proves to disrupt it anyways.
An elite CB can be avoided, the elite DT cant.

but either way it is close, & I wouldnt want you as a GM of my team. I think you show a tendency to overvaluing the sexier positions & completely undervaluing the not so sexy positions.

I dont over value or undervalue anything. I form my opinion on what the experts do. The golden rule for building a team has always been
QB
LT or DE
CB

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am truly lost? The fact that NFL teams rarely draft Centers in the 1st round and draft Tackles in the top 5 all the time screams what NFL teams think are important. If teams thought Centers were so crucial to sucess theyd draft Centers early. 3 Centers in the late first round over the last 5 years says that GMs dont value the Centers importance. So me, Bill Bellicheck, every GM in the league are all lost.
you are lost if you think just because of draft order, makes positional matters.......

your being disputer by literally everyone here, suck it up and move along

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont over value or undervalue anything. I form my opinion on what the experts do. The golden rule for building a team has always been
QB
LT or DE
CB
where do wr's fit in since philly is dying for them? or a rB? its the reason your qb cant succeed right now yes?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What difficult in Center evaluation is that its hard to tell statistically where a good one shows up.

Like in theory you would expect the teams with the best Centers to run the ball up the middle the most. But the teams that did that as a % were....the Browns and Niners.

Runs left to right in 2016

Cowboys: 25% left, 47% middle, 27% right
Patriots: 23% left, 59% middle, 17% right
Falcons: 28% left, 42% middle, 29% right
Steelers: 20% left, 58% middle, 22% right

Browns: 14% left, 66% middle, 20% right
Rams: 22%, 61%, 18%
Packers: 31%, 36%, 33%
Chiefs: 20%, 60%, 21%
Niners: 17%, 69%, 14%
Redskins: 29%, 42%, 29%

So a great Center just sort of blends into the whole process. Its hard to take them out and analyze things from a sofa unless you just see plays where the Center dominates and if you see more than 3 or 4 in a game then it means the other team probably has a really terrible NT/DT.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What difficult in Center evaluation is that its hard to tell statistically where a good one shows up.

Like in theory you would expect the teams with the best Centers to run the ball up the middle the most. But the teams that did that as a % were....the Browns and Niners.

Runs left to right in 2016

Cowboys: 25% left, 47% middle, 27% right
Patriots: 23% left, 59% middle, 17% right
Falcons: 28% left, 42% middle, 29% right
Steelers: 20% left, 58% middle, 22% right

Browns: 14% left, 66% middle, 20% right
Rams: 22%, 61%, 18%
Packers: 31%, 36%, 33%
Chiefs: 20%, 60%, 21%
Niners: 17%, 69%, 14%
Redskins: 29%, 42%, 29%

So a great Center just sort of blends into the whole process. Its hard to take them out and analyze things from a sofa unless you just see plays where the Center dominates and if you see more than 3 or 4 in a game then it means the other team probably has a really terrible NT/DT.

dude they arent drafted in round 1, so they arent important, just like RB's

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. QB
2. DL/OL
3. everything else

Pretty much this for me as well.

If I had an expansion team, I'd build up front before bringing in the QB I want to build around. To avoid a David Carr situation, where you basically ruin the kid's career. Then, I'd start going best player available, after that.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude they arent drafted in round 1, so they arent important, just like RB's
Its kind of like teachers where their importance in the free market is somewhat limited but the importance in the grand scheme is large.

I kinda see where the Eagles fan is coming from because generally when people talk about positional value, its related to contracts and draft position. It still doesnt change how important they are on the field but most teams should be able to find a competent Center.

Pretty much this for me as well.

If I had an expansion team, I'd build up front before bringing in the QB I want to build around. To avoid a David Carr situation, where you basically ruin the kid's career. Then, I'd start going best player available, after that.
If a fan of BPA outside of QB and LT generally until the logistics of contracts change things. You definately want some receivers that can beat coverage and some cornerbacks that can cover someone.

The Chiefs were fielding 1 bad CB in many of their games last year and that one single position set them back numerous touchdowns until it was fixed.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are lost if you think just because of draft order, makes positional matters.......

your being disputer by literally everyone here, suck it up and move along

Go look at everyones voting and see how must people voted Center way down their list. GMs wont touch them early in the draft but somehow they are so incredibly important.

Answer this, if they are sooooo important why doesnt anyone draft them early. The draft is the perfect indicator of what GMs think are important. Everyone wants a good center or a good TE or a good K but they know LT, DE, CB, QB are way more important and thats why the target them early and often.

And please... Just answer my question. Why dont teams ever draft Centers early. I bet there hasnt been one Center drafted in the top 15 in a 1/4 century.... But they are sooooooo important to GMs, right?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go look at everyones voting and see how must people voted Center way down their list. GMs wont touch them early in the draft but somehow they are so incredibly important.

Answer this, if they are sooooo important why doesnt anyone draft them early. The draft is the perfect indicator of what GMs think are important. Everyone wants a good center or a good TE or a good K but they know LT, DE, CB, QB are way more important and thats why the target them early and often.

And please... Just answer my question. Why dont teams ever draft Centers early. I bet there hasnt been one Center drafted in the top 15 in a 1/4 century.... But they are sooooooo important to GMs, right?
I see several teams that have drafted centers in the 2nd round and the bluechip ones in the mid or late 1st like Ryan Kelly for the Colts. Who gives a shit what other teams are doing, we're talking about how valuable they are to the team.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see several teams that have drafted centers in the 2nd round and the bluechip ones in the mid or late 1st like Ryan Kelly for the Colts. Who gives a shit what other teams are doing, we're talking about how valuable they are to the team.

Yeah, and if they were a valued position people would draft them early. Every team needs great kickers too but why dont kickers go in the top 5 like LT and QB? Because GMs know Centers and Kickers arent nearly as valuable as other positions.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And is see a direct correlation between importance and draft position. QB are important. Thats why they get drafted early. DE, LT are important. Thats why they get drafted early. 3 Centers in the late first round over the last 5 years shows you everything you need to know.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and if they were a valued position people would draft them early. Every team needs great kickers too but why dont kickers go in the top 5 like LT and QB? Because GMs know Centers and Kickers arent nearly as valuable as other positions.
You're using appeal to authority fallacy. Kickers are a great example ironically of an actually valuable position that is flooded with talent; ie easy to obtain.