• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Play Three Games in Washington Prior to the All Star Break July 7-9

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either the team was good enough to overcome adversity or it wasn't
I think that depends on the level of adversity and the cause of adversity.

One key, is to limit the adversity to what happens during the playing of the game, but even those kinds of diversity can have devastating effects on even really good teams. The George Wright play I referenced is an example of that.

The ability to handle diversity is determined by things within each of us. You can never really tell how someone will respond unless you have a lot of experience with them in doing so.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As this discussion has unfolded this morning it has made me think of something.

There are those who want to reduce everything in baseball to stats, hence the increase in the number of stats at our disposal -- stats that are based on theory for the most part.

A lot of fans(in general, not on here) want to completely discount things like clutch hitting and things like the ability to handle diversity because those things are impossible to measure with a formula.

Ironically, WAR cannot measure the war that rages within the mind of a player.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of interest
Our pitching has gotten worse

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As this discussion has unfolded this morning it has made me think of something.

There are those who want to reduce everything in baseball to stats, hence the increase in the number of stats at our disposal -- stats that are based on theory for the most part.

A lot of fans(in general, not on here) want to completely discount things like clutch hitting and things like the ability to handle diversity because those things are impossible to measure with a formula.

Ironically, WAR cannot measure the war that rages within the mind of a player.
Funny why I was for drafting Wyatt was his clutch hitting in the CWS. This is why I like Seager and liked Profar. Beltre was clutch

Also if the price is right I would not mind getting Bellinger although he might be streaky

To me this might be the issue with Sborz. He now needs to re build his confidence in big spots

The eye test is underrated

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny why I was for drafting Wyatt was his clutch hitting in the CWS. This is why I like Seager and liked Profar. Beltre was clutch

Also if the price is right I would not mind getting Bellinger although he might be streaky

To me this might be the issue with Sborz. He now needs to re build his confidence in big spots

The eye test is underrated
Even the eye test doesn't tell us why, and if it is likely to continue or not.

The makeup of a player is so important, but then there are factors that can reshape that makeup for good or bad.

That is why I liked Jenkins so much. Not that I had anything against anyone else in that regard, but I was able to find out some things about him.

Langford, Crews, and Jenkins all impressed me with their numbers. What impressed me, otherwise, about Langford, was when he came back so soon from that nasty injury this season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of interest
Our pitching has gotten worse
Just think how bad it would have been without Dunning and Bradford. And, how it might have been even better if Ragans had been sent to Round Rock to begin the season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to say, I have appreciated the discussion this morning, but especially the civility with which it was carried out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Evan Grant:

The schedule includes 52 intra-division games, 13 apiece against Houston, the Los Angeles Angels, Oakland and Seattle. The Rangers have an extra home game against the Astros and Angels and play one extra road game against Oakland and Seattle. In a twist, the Rangers and Astros will not see each other at all in September. They finish up their season series August 5-7 in Arlington.

Under the new schedule, which began for 2023, the Rangers play every club in the majors for a total of 46 interleague games. The Rangers will host all the teams they traveled to face in 2023: the Cubs, Cincinnati, New York Mets, Pittsburgh, San Diego, San Francisco and Washington. They will play two games home-and-away against Arizona, their designated rivalry.

That means the Rangers will play at St. Louis for three games from July 29-31 leading up to the trade deadline. It’s only the third regular season trip to St. Louis, the NL opponent they’ve least visited.

Other highlights from the schedule:

— Rangers pitching will get tested early. The Rangers have a 17-day stretch without an off day in April. The Rangers didn’t play more than 10 days without an off day in March/April this season.

— May will once again include a lot of travel. The Rangers are home for only 10 games in May and have travel that will take them to four different time zones: Central (Kansas City and Minnesota on separate trips), Eastern (Philadelphia and Miami on separate trips), Mountain (Colorado) and Pacific (Oakland).

— The two longest road trips are sandwiched into the end of April and early May, giving the Rangers a stretch in which they play 19 of 28 games on the road. If there is any “saving grace,” to that, it’s that the second of those two trips is to perpetually-rebuilding Kansas City, Oakland and Colorado. Those teams entered the All-Star break this season a combined 104 games below .500.

— The Rangers’ first scheduled traditional doubleheader since 1991 at Oakland on May 8.

— The Rangers are, oddly, off on Memorial Day Monday, but are home on July 4th (against San Diego) and Labor Day (against the New York Yankees).

— With the All-Star Game and its accompanying set of lead-up events, it requires the Rangers to close out the first half of the season on the road. That means a week-long trip to the Angels and Astros before the break.

— The Rangers play 16 of their last 28 games in Arlington but close out the season with a trip to Oakland and the Angels. Of note: Every road game the Rangers play in the final month of the season will effectively be on Pacific Time with a two-hour difference. They play at Arizona, Seattle, Oakland and Los Angeles ahead of the Sept. 29 finish.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, as streaky as this season has seemed, we haven't seen a long winning streak or a long losing streak. I believe 4 is the longest for either.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be nice to take a trip and see the Rangers on the road.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of Opening Day on Thursday and off Friday. Personally, it sucks having to come into town and then back to work the next day, and then for fans to have to wait for baseball to return and then immediately have an off day.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wonder how Bradford fits in

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of Opening Day on Thursday and off Friday. Personally, it sucks having to come into town and then back to work the next day, and then for fans to have to wait for baseball to return and then immediately have an off day.

well, I'm half-wrong. that Friday is Good Friday, so at least I won't have to work.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be nice to take a trip and see the Rangers on the road.
I have done that on four occasions. It is a lot of fun. I have seen them win twice in Houston and once in Baltimore. I also saw them get beat soundly in Detroit.