• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers official 2016 season thread.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is a Beltre or Darvish question the answer is obvious. Imo, once he returns and shows he can pitch at an elite level, he has to be our #1 priority going forward.

We have to lock up some SP at some point and it needs to start w Darvish. Who knows how the talent on the farm pans out, but there is going to be a need for veteran arms in a couple years and I sure hope Yu is still around. Holland, Perez, and Hamels will be expiring eventually and I want to see solid 1-2 in the rotation before we have several question marks

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's starting lineups:

**RANGERS** **SEATTLE**
1. CF Delino DeShields 1. LF Nori Aoki
2. RF Shin-Soo Choo 2. SS Ketel Marte
3. DH Prince Fielder 3. 2B Robinson Cano
4. 3B Adrian Beltre 4. RF Nelson Cruz
5. 1B Mitch Moreland 5. 3B Kyle Seager
6. LF Ian Desmond 6. DH Franklin Gutierrez
7. 2B Rougned Odor 7. 1B Adam Lind
8. SS Elvis Andrus 8. C Chris Iannetta
9. C Robinson Chirinos 9. CF Leonys Martin
SP -- Cole Hamels Felix Hernandez (R)

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's starting lineups:

**RANGERS** **SEATTLE**
1. CF Delino DeShields 1. LF Nori Aoki
2. RF Shin-Soo Choo 2. SS Ketel Marte
3. DH Prince Fielder 3. 2B Robinson Cano
4. 3B Adrian Beltre 4. RF Nelson Cruz
5. 1B Mitch Moreland 5. 3B Kyle Seager
6. LF Ian Desmond 6. DH Franklin Gutierrez
7. 2B Rougned Odor 7. 1B Adam Lind
8. SS Elvis Andrus 8. C Chris Iannetta
9. C Robinson Chirinos 9. CF Leonys Martin
SP -- Cole Hamels Felix Hernandez (R)

Cant wait, its like Xmas

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on CBS11 last night that Beltre told MLB.com that he informed the Rangers he wanted a 3yr deal @ 17/yr.

So I would do a 2yr deal @ 20mil/per...then an option for a 3rd year @ 12mil that vests with certain milestones. ABs, Games played, etc..

Obviously, if you are going to extend him, you front load the contract b/c that's when you're going to have the most value from him.

Also, extending him... probably means trading 2 of Choo, Fielder & Andrus.

And given the youngsters that the Rangers have on the farm -- I trade Choo & Andrus.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on CBS11 last night that Beltre told MLB.com that he informed the Rangers he wanted a 3yr deal @ 17/yr.

So I would do a 2yr deal @ 20mil/per...then an option for a 3rd year @ 12mil that vests with certain milestones. ABs, Games played, etc..

Obviously, if you are going to extend him, you front load the contract b/c that's when you're going to have the most value from him.

Also, extending him... probably means trading 2 of Choo, Fielder & Andrus.

And given the youngsters that the Rangers have on the farm -- I trade Choo & Andrus.
If Choo plays like he did in the 2nd half last year then I want him staying a Ranger.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Choo plays like he did in the 2nd half last year then I want him staying a Ranger.

Assuming all goes well with the development of Mazara & Brinson --- They both needs spots to play. I HOPE Choo continues to play like he did during the 2nd half, it will make his contract much easier to move. Plus, it would free up money to extend Beltre & maybe even Darvish --- though I think he tests Free Agency after next season.

Deshields, LF
Odor, 2B
Fielder, DH
Beltre, 3B
Gallo, 1B
Mazara, RF
Brinson, CF
Profar, SS
Chirinos, C

That is how I see our lineup looking in the future.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming all goes well with the development of Mazara & Brinson --- They both needs spots to play. I HOPE Choo continues to play like he did during the 2nd half, it will make his contract much easier to move. Plus, it would free up money to extend Beltre & maybe even Darvish --- though I think he tests Free Agency after next season.

Deshields, LF
Odor, 2B
Fielder, DH
Beltre, 3B
Gallo, 1B
Mazara, RF
Brinson, CF
Profar, SS
Chirinos, C

I agree about Choo. You hope for a good year and then trade him before he shows his age. Here is how I have been thinking about the future, as in next year and just beyond.

C Chirinos
1B Gallo
2B Odor
3B Profar
SS Andrus
LF Rua
RF Mazara
CF Brinson
DH Fielder

Although, I think at some point we either trade for a younger longterm catcher or we upgrade in free agency.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deshields, LF
Odor, 2B
Fielder, DH
Beltre, 3B
Gallo, 1B
Mazara, RF
Brinson, CF
Profar, SS
Chirinos, C

You may assume too much. I like both these guys a lot, but prospects are prospects until they prove otherwise, and banking on all four of Mazara, Brinson, Gallo, and Profar to hit it big like you're expecting is a pretty big gamble when you're talking about trying to dump someone like Choo, who already gives you offense like you'd hope for from Profar or Brinson.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's not realistic to expect him to play an entire season like lasts years 2nd half.

What we should hope for is about middle ground, .285-.300 hitter, with 15+ HR, etc. My opinion anyway.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a predictions thread up if anyone is interested.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Beltre contract extension talks to continue into season

Jon Heyman tweets that the Rangers and Beltre have had talks that are "promising enough" that they will continue into the season. With Opening Day being (checks watch) 17 hours away, it suggests that a deal isn't done, but it also indicates that the parties may feel like the parameters are close enough that it can be worked out in the next couple of days. Beltre's agent is Scott Boras, and Heyman's info on Boras clients is usually pretty good.

I made my prediction on the other thread that Beltre would not be extended, but after reading this I am thinking there is a fairly good possibility that he will be extended.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not realistic to expect him to play an entire season like lasts years 2nd half.

What we should hope for is about middle ground, .285-.300 hitter, with 15+ HR, etc. My opinion anyway.

I think 20+ homers is realistic.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A feat that he has accomplished 4 times in his career (with 22 being his career high) and who is going to be age 33 this year.

I dont see 20+ HR from Choo. Not b/c the talent isnt there...but injury concerns. IF he can have 600+ PA, then 20 is a possibility.

But to call it realistic.....ehhh.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A feat that he has accomplished 4 times in his career (with 22 being his career high) and who is going to be age 33 this year.

I dont see 20+ HR from Choo. Not b/c the talent isnt there...but injury concerns. IF he can have 600+ PA, then 20 is a possibility.

But to call it realistic.....ehhh.

Realistic: having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected.

20 HRs is totally realistic, 30 is not

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the middle ground is actually where he ended up, he was so awful/so good in the 1st and 2nd half, you already have your middle ground established

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have any special Opening Day memories?

I have fond memories from 2 Opening Days that I got to attend and both were against the Yankees. The first was in 1978. It started off as a very sad day for Rangers fans as early in the morning the Rangers play-by-play announcer, Dick Risenhoover, passed away after a bout with cancer. The game that day against the Yankees had a very dramatic finish to a very close game. The Yankees Ron Guidry and the Rangers Jon Matlack faced off in a game that would see the score tied at 1 apiece heading into the bottom of the 9th inning. Newly acquired slugger Richie Zisk stepped up to the plate against Goose Gossage and won it for the Rangers with a game ending HR. It was also the first game for newly acquired Al Oliver. I remember there was a banner hung over the railing in LF that read something like "Welcome Home Al Oliver" and Oliver said after the game that that really touched him because he had never been here before.

The next game was 2 years later in 1980 and this time the game went extra innings. 12 innings. Again, it was Matlack vs. Guidry and again it was a wonderfully pitched game. They both went 9 innings and only gave up 5 hits between the 2 of them and neither allowed any walks. There was no score through 11 innings. Mickey Rivers led off the bottom of the 12th for the Rangers and singled and advanced to second on an error. Bump Wills bunted him to third and this caused the Yankees to intentionally walk the bases loaded to set up a force at home or a double play. At that point they brought in Gossage once again. The first batter to face Gossage was Richie Zisk again. This time Gossage didn't let Zisk beat him with a HR. This time Gossage threw a wild pitch and allowed Rivers to scamper home to end the game.

I have been to several others as well including the one when we pummeled Cliff Lee, but those 2 are far and away the most memorable.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the middle ground is actually where he ended up, he was so awful/so good in the 1st and 2nd half, you already have your middle ground established

I probably gave myself too much wiggle-room with the 15+ HR total. 20 is more "realistic." ha ha

In 2014 he had 21, and 22 last year. He even had 16 in his injury season of 2014.

He'll be 34 in July, so his power should maintain for several more seasons.