• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers official 2016 season thread.

sailinshu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Jeff Bannister doesn't know how to manage a real baseball game.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm... One comment, and this is it, huh? Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Could Reduce Schedule Length

By Connor Byrne | July 17, 2016 at 1:54pm CDT

With the collective bargaining agreement set to expire in December and negotiations for a new CBA underway, officials from Major League Baseball and the players’ union are discussing the length of the regular-season schedule, reports David Lennon of Newsday. Specifically, the idea of streamlining from 162 to 154 games is picking up steam, per Lennon, as it would be less taxing on the players than the current format. The American League previously switched from a 154-game schedule to 162 in 1961, while the National League followed suit in 1962.

Today’s teams have just 21 days off during the 183-day regular season, which Lennon notes has led to complaints from the players because of the grueling travel schedules they face. One reason there are calls for a shorter schedule relate to the league’s stricter performance-enhancing drug testing, according to Lennon. PEDs are tempting to use in part because they help players get through a rigorous schedule, but with tests becoming harder to beat, drugs perhaps aren’t the enticing option they were in the past.

Regardless of the players’ issues with the current setup, cutting the schedule could be unrealistic because of the negative financial consequences likely to accompany it. Teams are unsurprisingly reluctant to sign off on losing revenue from attendance and television ratings. Players would also be in danger of making less money, too, as commissioner Rob Manfred laid out earlier this week.

“There are ways to produce more off days in the schedule. Some of those have very significant economic ramifications that — if in fact we’re going down those roads — those economic ramifications are going to have to be shared by all of the relevant parties,” said Manfred. “You want to work less, usually you get paid less. But we are prepared to discuss the schedule issues and make proposals that are responsive to the ones that we’ve received from the MLBPA.”

The players’ best chance to ensure a lighter schedule and continue to rake in the same salaries would be to convince the league that the quality of performance will rise if they garner more rest, writes Lennon. Indeed, that factors into MLBPA executive director Tony Clark’s argument.

“I don’t agree that there would need to be a discussion about a loss of salary or a rollback of salaries,” commented Clark. “Because if there is a lessening of the games . . . the value of every game goes up as well. I’m not talking about raising ticket prices. What I’m talking about is the idea that if I’m a fan coming to a ballpark, or I’m purchasing a season ticket, I know I’m going to see my guys as a result of x, y, z being done to make improvements to their overall health.”

If the league and the union are ultimately unable to agree to an eight-game reduction, Lennon offers the possibility of a two- or four-game compromise. With no CBA in place yet for next season, a resolution should come soon.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Could Reduce Schedule Length

By Connor Byrne | July 17, 2016 at 1:54pm CDT

With the collective bargaining agreement set to expire in December and negotiations for a new CBA underway, officials from Major League Baseball and the players’ union are discussing the length of the regular-season schedule, reports David Lennon of Newsday. Specifically, the idea of streamlining from 162 to 154 games is picking up steam, per Lennon, as it would be less taxing on the players than the current format. The American League previously switched from a 154-game schedule to 162 in 1961, while the National League followed suit in 1962.

Today’s teams have just 21 days off during the 183-day regular season, which Lennon notes has led to complaints from the players because of the grueling travel schedules they face. One reason there are calls for a shorter schedule relate to the league’s stricter performance-enhancing drug testing, according to Lennon. PEDs are tempting to use in part because they help players get through a rigorous schedule, but with tests becoming harder to beat, drugs perhaps aren’t the enticing option they were in the past.

Regardless of the players’ issues with the current setup, cutting the schedule could be unrealistic because of the negative financial consequences likely to accompany it. Teams are unsurprisingly reluctant to sign off on losing revenue from attendance and television ratings. Players would also be in danger of making less money, too, as commissioner Rob Manfred laid out earlier this week.

“There are ways to produce more off days in the schedule. Some of those have very significant economic ramifications that — if in fact we’re going down those roads — those economic ramifications are going to have to be shared by all of the relevant parties,” said Manfred. “You want to work less, usually you get paid less. But we are prepared to discuss the schedule issues and make proposals that are responsive to the ones that we’ve received from the MLBPA.”

The players’ best chance to ensure a lighter schedule and continue to rake in the same salaries would be to convince the league that the quality of performance will rise if they garner more rest, writes Lennon. Indeed, that factors into MLBPA executive director Tony Clark’s argument.

“I don’t agree that there would need to be a discussion about a loss of salary or a rollback of salaries,” commented Clark. “Because if there is a lessening of the games . . . the value of every game goes up as well. I’m not talking about raising ticket prices. What I’m talking about is the idea that if I’m a fan coming to a ballpark, or I’m purchasing a season ticket, I know I’m going to see my guys as a result of x, y, z being done to make improvements to their overall health.”

If the league and the union are ultimately unable to agree to an eight-game reduction, Lennon offers the possibility of a two- or four-game compromise. With no CBA in place yet for next season, a resolution should come soon.

Hope this doesn't lead to "longer spring training" or anything like the NFL talks about when changing the schedule. It's always about the owners needing the gates to make their money. I'd imagine the baseball demand would still be there, so it would result in more attendance at the games that are played. I'd be ok with them dropping about 6 games (intraleague perhaps) and making the all star break a solid week off. If you are in the game you still get two days before the festivities and two after. If you aren't in the contests then you have 6 days off.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, hoping to get back to May baseball. Choo and Fielder both out, put Mazara back in RF full time and Rua in LF full time. Mitch and Profar split time at 1B and let's get this thing cranking.

Where are we on pitchers getting back? Holland should be close, shouldn't he?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they're both due back around 1st of Aug. But with Holland, we have no idea if he's ever going to be a good pitcher again. At least with Colby, when he's healthy, you know what you're getting, and frankly, we've gotten a lot from him for the past 3 years and at a very good cost.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, hoping to get back to May baseball. Choo and Fielder both out, put Mazara back in RF full time and Rua in LF full time. Mitch and Profar split time at 1B and let's get this thing cranking.

Believe Holland and Colby will be late August, Early September. Holland was moved to the 60-Day DL retroactive to June 21.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In case you haven't noticed, Mazara hasn't been good lately.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe Holland and Colby will be late August, Early September. Holland was moved to the 60-Day DL retroactive to June 21.

That's what I was trying to say. ha ha ha Sometimes I'm calendar challenged.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vs. RHPs
C- Chirinos
1B- Moreland
2B- Odor
3B- Beltre
SS- Andrus
CF- Desmond
COF- Mazara, Gallo
UTIL/DH- Profar

Vs. LHPs
C- Wilson
1B- Moreland
2B- Odor
3B- Beltre
SS- Andrus
CF- Desmond
COF- DDJ, Rua
UTIL/DH- Profar/Gallo/Mazara

Profar and Mazara are pretty useless against LHPs, same for Rua versus RHPs

Of course my lineups are contingent on them calling up Gallo and sending down Hoying and Alberto, and calling up another BP guy

With Profar, Rua and Gallo's ability to play multiple positions, you can get away with a 3 man bench

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its been a rough month for the pitchers

I think I heard this AM that Hamels is the only SP that's earned a W for the Rangers this month.

Crazy how that shit happens. I remember in early May, this thread was abuzz with the embarrassment of riches in the SP category. I think I remember some debate about what they would possibly do with all the great pitchers once Darvish came back.

Seems like that's always the way. When you think you have too much pitching, you don't.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I heard this AM that Hamels is the only SP that's earned a W for the Rangers this month.

Crazy how that shit happens. I remember in early May, this thread was abuzz with the embarrassment of riches in the SP category. I think I remember some debate about what they would possibly do with all the great pitchers once Darvish came back.

Seems like that's always the way. When you think you have too much pitching, you don't.

so true...game of inches!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly what I tried telling people then.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I tried telling people then.

Never enough pitching, that's why I'm in no hurry to trade our top pitching prospects (Tate, Mendez, Jurado) for rentals and 4-5 types

This is how we constantly wind up whining about next to nothing pitching wise at the AAA level

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on acquiring Lucroy and Jeffress.

2 studs who hopefully will help in getting the club to the next level