• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.4

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I sometimes forget that not everyone can read the contents of any link from the Sun-Times, being you have to subscribe in order to read their articles. I encourage you to subscribe because there's no direct charge. Yeah, you'll get emails from them, pretty much every day, but at least there are no out-of-pocket costs like those for other subscriptions, such as the Tribune.

The main point here is new GM Getz is pretty much attempting to rebuild the Sox from scratch, and he's doing so by focusing on defense. He believes pitching is the foundation for a successful ballclub and that a solid D will attract future elite pitching. However, one line specifically caught my attention:

The in-house choice (hiring Getz) was met with a collective “meh,” in large part because Getz had overseen a Sox farm system that sank to the bottom of most rankings.

This caught my attention because that was my exact reaction when his hiring was announced. It wasn't that I not only wanted Reinsdorf to completely clean house of upper mgmt, but that in particular I thought Getz's running of our farm was borderline garbage. And I still think that. However, given the limited resources and financial restraints he has before him, I'm more than willing to give the guy a chance to see how he handles rebuilding this team in the coming years. Certainly little to no hope for success this year, but maybe the foundation is being set.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I sometimes forget that not everyone can read the contents of any link from the Sun-Times, being you have to subscribe in order to read their articles. I encourage you to subscribe because there's no direct charge. Yeah, you'll get emails from them, pretty much every day, but at least there are no out-of-pocket costs like those for other subscriptions, such as the Tribune.

The main point here is new GM Getz is pretty much attempting to rebuild the Sox from scratch, and he's doing so by focusing on defense. He believes pitching is the foundation for a successful ballclub and that a solid D will attract future elite pitching. However, one line specifically caught my attention:

The in-house choice (hiring Getz) was met with a collective “meh,” in large part because Getz had overseen a Sox farm system that sank to the bottom of most rankings.

This caught my attention because that was my exact reaction when his hiring was announced. It wasn't that I not only wanted Reinsdorf to completely clean house of upper mgmt, but that in particular I thought Getz's running of our farm was borderline garbage. And I still think that. However, given the limited resources and financial restraints he has before him, I'm more than willing to give the guy a chance to see how he handles rebuilding this team in the coming years. Certainly little to no hope for success this year, but maybe the foundation is being set.

The best we can hope for at this point is that we find the right people to make us one of those "every now and again one off" successful small market teams like the Twins, Rays or Marlins. We are never going to be a big market type team under current ownership. So yeah, Go Getz Go. But I'm not holding my breath. 2-3 years from now we'll show some potential and people will try to tell me "how good it was that we traded Dylan Cease in 2024" is my guess.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best we can hope for at this point is that we find the right people to make us one of those "every now and again one off" successful small market teams like the Twins, Rays or Marlins. We are never going to be a big market type team under current ownership. So yeah, Go Getz Go. But I'm not holding my breath. 2-3 years from now we'll show some potential and people will try to tell me "how good it was that we traded Dylan Cease in 2024" is my guess.
The view I'm taking this season is we're a 100+ loss team trying to prove us all wrong. The one advantage is there are zero expectations aside from hoping this or that guy can produce some unexpectedly decent stats. In a twisted way and I mean twisted, this team might actually be fun to watch every now and then.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The view I'm taking this season is we're a 100+ loss team trying to prove us all wrong. The one advantage is there are zero expectations aside from hoping this or that guy can produce some unexpectedly decent stats. In a twisted way and I mean twisted, this team might actually be fun to watch every now and then.

I'm going to see them in Miami this summer. It's very rare they play the Marlins so that's kind of cool. Maybe I can finally break the losing streak...Even sh*tty baseball teams win 60.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The exact frame of mind to be in. It seems to me over 60 years or so - that's a typical White Sox season.

The difference between Hahn/Williams and Getz - Hahn/Williams would ID one player or prospect to draft, trade for or sign him - and declare that position space on the roster solved. The Getz approach appears to be one of just building the quality of the 40 man roster for competition among the players that have speed, agility, athletic ability and can play defense. So, the Sox have a lot of prospects - washed up but comeback prospects - injured guys with promise coming out of rehab - and they will see who emerges under the Getz building plan. Some will emerge as players, and some will be gone before we learn their names. The majority will be what they were before the Sox signed them - question marks still. If Getz finds 5-6 players worth keeping - in this year's scavenger hunt - he's done a good job.

Uncle Jerry isn't going to live forever - the new Stadium probably is a good idea - and may attract the kind of new owner that will meet the moment and build a real baseball team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uncle Jerry isn't going to live forever - the new Stadium probably is a good idea - and may attract the kind of new owner that will meet the moment and build a real baseball team.
I wanted to touch on this in particular because you are dead on. Jerry could very well be 6 ft under by the time the new stadium, assuming it eventually becomes a full go, is MLB ready. What we don't know, or at least I don't, is if there's a plan to pass his Sox holdings on to an heir or if the team would then be sold, which would be my big wish. And nothing like a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium to entice a new buyer.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to see them in Miami this summer. It's very rare they play the Marlins so that's kind of cool. Maybe I can finally break the losing streak...Even sh*tty baseball teams win 60.
Looks like you will get a reunion with Timmy in Miami. I am one of those who thinks Tim Anderson has a comeback in him. Two years ago, Timmy Anderson would have been in line for a $100 Million contract - and now he gives someone a bargain at $2.5 million per year.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another update on a possible new stadium for the Sox:

Still a long way off from declaring this to be officially moving forward, but the requisite legwork appears to be taking shape. I'm thinking by the end of this year/early next year we should know whether or not it's a full go.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another update on a possible new stadium for the Sox:

Still a long way off from declaring this to be officially moving forward, but the requisite legwork appears to be taking shape. I'm thinking by the end of this year/early next year we should know whether or not it's a full go.
If he wants a new stadium he can pay for it himself. The team isn’t moving. He can make that threat but the commissioner just announced they are likely added 2 expansion teams in the near future. Add in the debacle taking place with the A’s. Now he’s claiming to compete he needs a new stadium. This is the same dude that waved the white flag a few yrs after the last new stadium was built.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants a new stadium he can pay for it himself. The team isn’t moving. He can make that threat but the commissioner just announced they are likely added 2 expansion teams in the near future. Add in the debacle taking place with the A’s. Now he’s claiming to compete he needs a new stadium. This is the same dude that waved the white flag a few yrs after the last new stadium was built.
reinsdork is a pox on the game and always has been. people that buy into his dealings are fools.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmy says: "I'm coming."

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small sample size, but both times I got a peak at Colson Montgomery playing SS - he looked awful. Montgomery does look really relaxed at the plate - and I think he will hit well - no matter where he might play in the infield.

I kind of don't mind the Sox leaving spring camp and starting the regular season with some veterans on the roster like DeJon - Pillar, Stassi and Moustakis, but at some time the Sox need to see if their young guys can play and pitch.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small sample size, but both times I got a peak at Colson Montgomery playing SS - he looked awful. Montgomery does look really relaxed at the plate - and I think he will hit well - no matter where he might play in the infield.

I kind of don't mind the Sox leaving spring camp and starting the regular season with some veterans on the roster like DeJon - Pillar, Stassi and Moustakis, but at some time the Sox need to see if their young guys can play and pitch.
There was talk the day he was drafted that based on his physique, Colson might be a better fit at 3rd base. And with Moncada possibly or even probably soon to be an ex-Good Guy, the timing of moving him to the hot corner could be fortuitous.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was talk the day he was drafted that based on his physique, Colson might be a better fit at 3rd base. And with Moncada possibly or even probably soon to be an ex-Good Guy, the timing of moving him to the hot corner could be fortuitous.
Except that the Sox' 2nd best position player prospect is AAA 3rd baseman Brian Ramos. I would think Montgomery moves to 2nd - maybe.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eloy is off with a remarkable batting average in Spring Ball. I just wish someone would explain to me why Eloy doesn't club home runs like he did in the Minors and early in his MLB career. He's barreling the ball - exit velocity is high, but the batted balls hit the ground too early. This situation just screams at me - that Eloy could help the Sox much more by changing the arc of his swing to induce more batted balls in the air. Maybe I expect too much, but Eloy should be the kind of player that gets hot and carries a ballclub for a couple of weeks.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eloy is off with a remarkable batting average in Spring Ball. I just wish someone would explain to me why Eloy doesn't club home runs like he did in the Minors and early in his MLB career. He's barreling the ball - exit velocity is high, but the batted balls hit the ground too early. This situation just screams at me - that Eloy could help the Sox much more by changing the arc of his swing to induce more batted balls in the air. Maybe I expect too much, but Eloy should be the kind of player that gets hot and carries a ballclub for a couple of weeks.
I think we all want Eloy the Power Bat, but if he turns into a higher avg, yet lower dinger player, I'd be ok with that. The key is the ribbies. He'll be batting 4th or 5th in the lineup. He needs to be one of our leaders, if not our top guy, at driving home the runners on base.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all want Eloy the Power Bat, but if he turns into a higher avg, yet lower dinger player, I'd be ok with that. The key is the ribbies. He'll be batting 4th or 5th in the lineup. He needs to be one of our leaders, if not our top guy, at driving home the runners on base.
Well, if he's healthy, he will be. Those guys are always going to have the most opportunities to drive in runs. Therefore, they'll be near the top of the team, if they stay healthy.

RBI's are a bull shit stat. It's more indicative of how often you come up with RISP than anything. Plenty of 100 RBI seasons that were unimpressive and plenty of 70-80 RBI seasons that were fantastic. It's not a good metric.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if he's healthy, he will be. Those guys are always going to have the most opportunities to drive in runs. Therefore, they'll be near the top of the team, if they stay healthy.

RBI's are a bull shit stat. It's more indicative of how often you come up with RISP than anything. Plenty of 100 RBI seasons that were unimpressive and plenty of 70-80 RBI seasons that were fantastic. It's not a good metric.
You can always find anomolies in metrics, but to dismiss ribbies as a bull shit stat is itself plain bull shit. Doesn't matter if you got a million guys on base thruout the season, they're not going to come in on their own (or if they do, the player won't be credited with an RBI), the player has to drive them in. And last I remember in baseball you win games by outscoring the opponent. Maybe I'm wrong there.

I always crack up when I see comments like yours, reminds me of Buddy Ryan back when he got rid of HOFer Chris Carter because "all he does is catch TDs".

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can always find anomolies in metrics, but to dismiss ribbies as a bull shit stat is itself plain bull shit. Doesn't matter if you got a million guys on base thruout the season, they're not going to come in on their own (or if they do, the player won't be credited with an RBI), the player has to drive them in. And last I remember in baseball you win games by outscoring the opponent. Maybe I'm wrong there.

I always crack up when I see comments like yours, reminds me of Buddy Ryan back when he got rid of HOFer Chris Carter because "all he does is catch TDs".
you have no clue.