• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Fantasy Baseball Thoughts

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone please explain to me the logic behind AL/NL only leagues? I just don't get it. Where and why did it ever start?

Can you imagine an NFC only league in football?

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh. So this is where all of my fantasy football brothers are...

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone please explain to me the logic behind AL/NL only leagues? I just don't get it. Where and why did it ever start?

Was in a league one year where we only had five players and did this to limit the available players, but other than that IDK.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no problem with it in leagues of 10 owners or less... easy way to keep the roster size small to keep the league competitive...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My second favorite thing about this time of year; the bullshit managers and coaches feed to reporters.

Indians manager Terry Francona said Tuesday that he's considering hitting Carlos Santana leadoff.

It's unconventional because Santana can't run, but the 29-year-old boasts a career .365 on-base percentage and only Joey Votto has drawn more walks over the last five seasons. "The one thing I've thought about is Santana leading off," said Francona. "It's only a thought. Because of his skill set, I think he'd be one of the best leadoff hitters in the game. I know it's a little unique. Maybe out of the box, and you've got to have somebody who can hit cleanup." We'll have to see whether Francona experiments with Santana in the leadoff spot during spring training. From a fantasy perspective, obviously it would help his potential for scoring runs but hurt his ability to drive them in. The favorite to hit in the leadoff spot for the Indians on Opening Day is probably Rajai Davis.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My second favorite thing about this time of year; the bullshit managers and coaches feed to reporters.

Indians manager Terry Francona said Tuesday that he's considering hitting Carlos Santana leadoff.

It's unconventional because Santana can't run, but the 29-year-old boasts a career .365 on-base percentage and only Joey Votto has drawn more walks over the last five seasons. "The one thing I've thought about is Santana leading off," said Francona. "It's only a thought. Because of his skill set, I think he'd be one of the best leadoff hitters in the game. I know it's a little unique. Maybe out of the box, and you've got to have somebody who can hit cleanup." We'll have to see whether Francona experiments with Santana in the leadoff spot during spring training. From a fantasy perspective, obviously it would help his potential for scoring runs but hurt his ability to drive them in. The favorite to hit in the leadoff spot for the Indians on Opening Day is probably Rajai Davis.
is there a player with more fantasy value lost than carlos now that no longer a catcher?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is there a player with more fantasy value lost than carlos now that no longer a catcher?

Doesn't help that he lost 3B eligibility as well.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another reason for people to hop on my DH revolution! Makes him more relevant. There are more than enough to go around to make it an actual fantasy position.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh. So this is where all of my fantasy football brothers are...

Hey Joe! It's too bad you aren't a diamond lover... we could really use your way above average statistical mind. Thought of you while I was sifting through outfielders. There are so many, but after the top ten or so, it's chaos. Would love to see your percentages and compartmentalization on how many from certain tiers differ (+/-) from "rankings" to where they end up... and how many come from nowhere.

See? I can't even ask the question clearly. Like I said, it's chaos. We need above @averagejoe in baseball!

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Joe! It's too bad you aren't a diamond lover... we could really use your way above average statistical mind. Thought of you while I was sifting through outfielders. There are so many, but after the top ten or so, it's chaos. Would love to see your percentages and compartmentalization on how many from certain tiers differ (+/-) from "rankings" to where they end up... and how many come from nowhere.

See? I can't even ask the question clearly. Like I said, it's chaos. We need above @averagejoe in baseball!
Sorry, TKO. Gave up on baseball more than 2 decades ago. Don't get me wrong. I was happy for the White Sox when they won. Would do the same for the Cubbies. Sadly, I probably couldn't name 6 guys from either team, combined. Really. Haven't even watched a MLB game in years. (Grew up loving the Big Red Machine BTW.) Even locally, if they bring up a baseball topic on sports-talk radio, the station gets changed.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, TKO. Gave up on baseball more than 2 decades ago. Don't get me wrong. I was happy for the White Sox when they won. Would do the same for the Cubbies. Sadly, I probably couldn't name 6 guys from either team, combined. Really. Haven't even watched a MLB game in years. (Grew up loving the Big Red Machine BTW.) Even locally, if they bring up a baseball topic on sports-talk radio, the station gets changed.

The Hawks are keeping you gLadd during the non football months I guess. ;)

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks are keeping you gLadd during the non football months I guess.
I like the trade. But I'd rather see them add some wins (since they've been slumping lately).

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to see your percentages and compartmentalization on how many from certain tiers differ (+/-) from "rankings"

Forgive me since I know nothing of fantasy baseball... but is there a site that tracks batting orders or typical batting position? I figure that a guy slotted to bat early in the lineup would have more chances than a guy who bats at the bottom. Or am I off base (pun intended)?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgive me since I know nothing of fantasy baseball... but is there a site that tracks batting orders or typical batting position? I figure that a guy slotted to bat early in the lineup would have more chances than a guy who bats at the bottom. Or am I off base (pun intended)?

You are dead on. Top of the order generally has one more plate appearance per game than the bottom. Lineups are a fickle for the most part though, but yes, there are mainstays in the top four some way or another. Many of those guys are also top six round picks though (top 20 or so), and not as difficult to draft... it's the rest that gets congested, but every year contain many gems.

Most sites track each player's split stats (home/away, vs lefty/righty, batting order slot... etc.) As for tracking batting position in general, I'm not sure. Fangraphs and baseball prospectus might have it.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are dead on. Top of the order generally has one more plate appearance per game than the bottom. Lineups are a fickle for the most part though, but yes, there are mainstays in the top four some way or another. Many of those guys are also top six round picks though (top 20 or so), and not as difficult to draft... it's the rest that gets congested, but every year contain many gems.

Most sites track each player's split stats (home/away, vs lefty/righty, batting order slot... etc.) As for tracking batting position in general, I'm not sure. Fangraphs and baseball prospectus might have it.
baseballreference does for each team

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys. Just curious on some of your opinions on this.

I'm in a 24 team dynasty league. Our MLB draft is coming up soon, and I have the 2nd pick. I'm clearly in a re-build mode, gathering prospects and young ML players. A guy approaches me offering Sean Newcomb and his last ML Draft pick for my number 1 ML Draft pick and my last minor league pick. I'm thinking "hell yeah" I'll do that, the ML draft pool is just filled with a bunch of 30+ year olds who aren't going to help me anyway. He said he wants to make sure his guy is available in the ML draft before we submit the deal, but the prospect draft is going to finish before the ML draft, so I asked him which prospect I should pick and he gave me a name. This is pretty much a "handshake" agreement, right? Well, he called off the deal because he reached the same agreement for the number 1 pick, instead of my number 2 pick.

Maybe I'm just being salty and needed to vent, but this is a dick move, no? Nothing was official, but all the details were laid out, and we were just waiting for the draft to come around. Oh well.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm in a 24 team dynasty league. Our MLB draft is coming up soon, and I have the 2nd pick. I'm clearly in a re-build mode, gathering prospects and young ML players. A guy approaches me offering Sean Newcomb and his last ML Draft pick for my number 1 ML Draft pick and my last minor league pick. I'm thinking "hell yeah" I'll do that, the ML draft pool is just filled with a bunch of 30+ year olds who aren't going to help me anyway. He said he wants to make sure his guy is available in the ML draft before we submit the deal, but the prospect draft is going to finish before the ML draft, so I asked him which prospect I should pick and he gave me a name. This is pretty much a "handshake" agreement, right? Well, he called off the deal because he reached the same agreement for the number 1 pick, instead of my number 2 pick.

Maybe I'm just being salty and needed to vent, but this is a dick move, no? Nothing was official, but all the details were laid out, and we were just waiting for the draft to come around. Oh well.

What prospect did you pick?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As much as that sucks for you, i have no problem with it because he got a better deal...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as that sucks for you, i have no problem with it because he got a better deal...

Yeah, I've gotta somewhat reluctantly go along with this. Handshake deal, you takes yer chances.