• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams-Packers Analysis

Ramsfan95

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's effort as a team was disappointing, not much seemed to change from the first preseason game to the second. The run defense was still a problem, Aaron Rodgers sliced and diced the starting secondary, and the backups got their asses handed to them all game save a few individual players. Here are my thoughts on specific players and positional groups from the game:

1. QUARTERBACKS:

Sam Bradford was very good in his debut. I would've said "great" or "excellent", but he missed a throw or two. One was a memorable miss to Britt that should've been a 30+ yard strike. Aside from that pass, Bradford was great in his decision making and played like a 1st overall pick. It's great to see him back.

Garrett Gilbert had another poor outing in this game. It seems like the coaching staff are playing favorites or something, maybe because he was a 6th rd draft pick and feel that they have a responsiblity to him? Because in two games, Austin Davis has easily outplayed him. I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to see Davis play AHEAD of Gilbert this next game. It's not fair to keep throwing out Davis with that POS offensive line featuring Sean "I like to give up Sacks" Hooey.

2. RUNNING BACKS:

Zac Stacy is the gauranteed starter. The running back battle (if there was one), is over.

Benny Cunningham looks like he has the #2 position locked down. Want to know why? Because Tre Mason can't block worth shit. Mason was useless on the passing downs and missed a few blocks, one resulting in a sack on Gilbert. If Mason wants to move up in the pecking order, he HAS to learn how to block. That should be a top priority for him.

3. OFFENSIVE LINE:

The starting offensive line was ok. I'm not going to say good because Bradford was pressured a little bit and also took a sack. But they protected him enough to get the job done. Just remember that this offensive line was still missing Long and Saffold. When those guys get back, our starting offensive line is probably going to be one of the better units on the team.
Where this starting offensive line lacked is in the running game. Stacy was barely able to even get back to the LOS on many of his carries. I think Torrey Holt mentioned something during the game that caught my ears: "Everytime they run to the right side of the field they don't get many yards. Joe Barksdale.". He was right. This just goes to show how important Rodger Saffold is to our running game, because when he's in there, we can run towards the right side a lot more succesfully. This offensive line is CRITICAL to our offensive success this year. They NEED to stay healthy - especially Saffold.
As for the backups, I honestly didn't get to evaluate each player because there was one piece of shit on the field that was so bad, it just blew my mind -- Sean Hooey. Cut this sack of shit NOW. He nearly got Austin Davis killed. How do you get beat and allow THREE straight sacks? How do you get beat and allow 5-6-7+ constant pressures with a pass rusher running freely to the quarterback? This is 100% unacceptable and maybe one of the worst performances by any professional football player that I have ever seen. This guy has been on the team before and should've improved by now. Marshall said he wasn't going to pick on the guy, but that was his job to be professional. What Marshall really wanted to say was "Phewwwwwwwwwwy, Hooeeeey is playing really, really bad." Like he did last preseason. Cut Hooey's ass - now.

4. RECEIVERS:

Brian Quick had a very, very nice 41 yard reception where he went up top and used his entire frame to get the ball. That's what we've been wanting to see out of him for a long time. Britt was also open for another deep pass but Bradford threw an uncatchable ball that sailed out of bounds. Austin caught what was thrown his way. Cook had a critical 4th down catch. Kendricks caught an amazing TD pass from Bradford. Both of them made each other look good there.
So essentially the starters all had a good game, collectively.
The backups, however, didn't do much of anything. Whether this was because they couldn't get open or rather a combination of poor quarterback play by Garrett Gilbert and poor play by the backup offensive line, I don't know.

5. DEFENSIVE LINE:

Aaron Rodgers had all day to pass. But really, there's nothing to worry about here. I just expected to see Rodger's jersey hit the turf a few times. Realistically, Rodgers was throwing a ton of really short passes that were gaining YAC making the passes look bigger than they really were. This wasn't a good game by the defensive line, but I honestly don't think they were really trying to do too much.

Eugene Sims and Ethan Westbrooks, however, each had extremely good performances this game. Both were creating pressure as the backups and did exactly what they needed to do. Michael Sam also had a sack, but it was against 3rd stringers. The battle between Westbrooks and Sam is not over, but Westbrooks is certainly in the lead at this point.

6. LINEBACKERS:

Let's talk about the guy that's been catching fire recently -- Ray Ray McDonald... Er I mean Armstrong.
Armstrong has struggled these first two games - mightily. But let's get something straight - he's not getting cut, so stop calling for his head. I've been monitoring this situation carefully, and in both games he's been starting the games and playing deep into the 3rd quarter. They're trying to give Armstrong as much playing experience as possible so that he can get acclimated and used to just playing straight out. They've already decided he's going to play for us and they're trying to get him up to speed by giving him as much practice as possible. One thing I've noticed is that they have him as a stand-up OLB blitzer quite often. Armstrong's role in this defense reminds me of how Seattle uses Bruce Irvin. I think Armstrong is going to get some sacks this season, he's just been unable to so far because of the multitude of short passes both New Orleans and Green Bay employed against us.
With that being said, the rest of the linebacking core has also struggled. Dunbar hasn't made much of an impact in the running game and Ogletree seems to be the only one on the field playing up to par. Now we all know how important James Laurinaitis is to the linebacking core and run defense of this team.

7. DEFENSIVE BACKS:

Trumaine Johnson was back this week, and he played fairly well. I think he allowed one or two catches for a first down, but that was about it. Rodgers picked on the inexperienced DB's like McGee most of the time, who were giving GB receivers too much cushion. I think we all now see how important Jenkins is too the secondary. People like bashing him for giving up a long pass play once in a while last season but he is hands down our best player in the secondary and has the potential to be an All-Pro. This may come as a surprise, but he was honestly the best player on the entire team his rookie year where he had 4 INTS, 4TD's, 1FR, 1 blocked FG, pressure resulting in a safety. He single-handedly beat San Francisco for us in a game that season. That reminds me. He helps in the run defense as well (no where near as much as Brockers or Laurinaitis), he seems to seam off those edge runs. We miss him, and greatly.
Joyner got burned by Cobb today on a basic crossing route. It's good practice nonetheless. The battle between Gaines, Reid, and Roberson is still undecided. Each of them have had their highlights and I have no clue in hell who's going to get that final position.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the no huddle offense that Green Bay used really wore our defense down. Aaron Rodgers was getting rid of the ball quick as well. We just didnt have an answer for this. Not good.:L

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the analysis. I wasn't able to catch the game but glad to hear Bradford had a solid game. That's who I'm worried about most.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One note: the "starting" offensive line was missing two starters, so their play should improve once Long and Saffold are back in the fold.

There was one big Robinson highlight, where he basically threw a guy down and pancaked him.

Hooey had the highlighted worst performance of the game. If you can't stop 3rd team DEs, you aren't a LT in this league. He may have single-handedly put that DE on the regular season roster for the Pack.

Tre Mason's pass protection is indeed horrendous. On one play, he just stood there as the defender blew by him on his way to the QB.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7. DEFENSIVE BACKS:

Trumaine Johnson was back this week, and he played fairly well. I think he allowed one or two catches for a first down, but that was about it. Rodgers picked on the inexperienced DB's like McGee most of the time, who were giving GB receivers too much cushion. I think we all now see how important Jenkins is too the secondary. People like bashing him because he was the worst #1 CB in football last year but he is hands down our best player in the secondary and has the potential to be an All-Pro. This may come as a surprise, but he was honestly the best player on the entire team his rookie year where he had 4 INTS, 4TD's, 1FR, 1 blocked FG, pressure resulting in a safety. He single-handedly beat San Francisco for us in a game that season. That reminds me. He helps in the run defense as well (no where near as much as Brockers or Laurinaitis), he seems to seam off those edge runs. We miss him, and greatly.
Joyner got burned by Cobb today on a basic crossing route. It's good practice nonetheless. The battle between Gaines, Reid, and Roberson is still undecided. Each of them have had their highlights and I have no clue in hell who's going to get that final position.
Fixed. The secondary is the biggest issue on the team, imo. Slightly worried about oline depth but the starters seem really good.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we could include depth at LB and the O-line as well Clayton.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we could include depth at LB and the O-line as well Clayton.
I'd agree with that. I'd also say that on paper, the Packers might be one of the 5 best teams in football next year and the preseason is the preseason.

I also think that Mason isn't really here for this year. I think he is playing to be part of a 2 headed giant next year but he is really....really raw in pass blocking. Mason does have a good combination of speed, vision and power, though

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much agree with you Clayton on the Tre Mason assessment. In his offense in college, he didn't have to block, so he is clueless. They'll get that remedied this year and like you stated, he'll be better next year-like several of our players (Quick comes to mind).

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw very little to be happy about. Same old mistakes and blunders from last season. Bad play calling absolutely no run defense. I could go on and on but it would be like beating a dead horse. This team has not improved. At least not yet.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to the game, got $8 tickets on stubhub and moved to sit about 30 rows up at the 45 yard line.

I was very impressed with Bradford. As stated above he wasn't perfect and missed what could have been a TD to Britt, but having not played in almost 10 months I think it'd be unfair to expect him to not look rusty. I'm very encouraged by what I saw, not perfect but very good.

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those crossing patterns over the middle were wide open all game for the Packers. I sort of agree with Rambunctious. Rams look like the same old RAMS. Of course it's the preseason. But it looks like last in the division team so far. Bad call playing, Can't stop the run, Can't run the ball, Now our kicker can't even make a field goal.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why we continue to play our secondary 20-25 yards deep on most plays. I thought Williams return would solve that but it creates a huge hole right behind our LBs and is wide open for the opponets WRs. That is a hold-over from last year and it is just killing us on the run as well. If opponent gets past our front seven or eight there is nobody there and it assures big plays on both the run and the pass.

Yea, I don't know what is going on with Zuerlein but he has missed three in-a-row. I think his problem is between the ears and it is becoming annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why we continue to play our secondary 20-25 yards deep on most plays. I thought Williams return would solve that but it creates a huge hole right behind our LBs and is wide open for the opponets WRs. That is a hold-over from last year and it is just killing us on the run as well. An if opponent gets past our front seven or eight there is nobody there and it assures big plays on both the run and the pass.

Yea, I don't know what is going on with Zuerlein but he has missed three in-a-row. I think his problem is between the ears and it is becoming annoying.

Was the third one with the backup long snapper again? I missed that one, since NFL Network went out right before the kick.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. This Jorgen Jus dude is killing us but I suppose that is what the preseason is for to sort out the trash from the players.

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Bradford was VERY good...He missed one throw that should have been a touchdown...His other 2 incomplete throws were a drop and a TD to Quick if not for the int call.The TD to pass was absolutely perfect into traffic..Super catch by Kendricks, in that Bradford had to put a bunch of heat on it to thread it in there... I agree that the D didn't even show up and the running gamed was stuffed easily by GB...Pre-season, sure, but the D simply has to be far better than this showing...The Packers were just as vanilla as the Rams...Missing 1 important player on both sides of the ball, but I'm not really convinced it would have me too much difference...This week will proablu be the last chance to show up for the starters, as they usually play longer in the third game, and very lite in the 4th game..

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just preseason means nothing. But I was impressed with Bradford he took a nice hit that made me cringe abit but got up and carried on. This is going too be an exciting season. :suds:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Bradford was VERY good...He missed one throw that should have been a touchdown...His other 2 incomplete throws were a drop and a TD to Quick if not for the int call.The TD to pass was absolutely perfect into traffic..Super catch by Kendricks, in that Bradford had to put a bunch of heat on it to thread it in there... I agree that the D didn't even show up and the running gamed was stuffed easily by GB...Pre-season, sure, but the D simply has to be far better than this showing...The Packers were just as vanilla as the Rams...Missing 1 important player on both sides of the ball, but I'm not really convinced it would have me too much difference...This week will proablu be the last chance to show up for the starters, as they usually play longer in the third game, and very lite in the 4th game..

Considering that the OL was missing 2 starters (Long, Saffold) and the defense was missing 3 (Brockers, Laurinaitis, Jenkins), hopefully they can get those guys back in place and get this turned around a bit before the season starts.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why we continue to play our secondary 20-25 yards deep on most plays. I thought Williams return would solve that but it creates a huge hole right behind our LBs and is wide open for the opponets WRs. That is a hold-over from last year and it is just killing us on the run as well. If opponent gets past our front seven or eight there is nobody there and it assures big plays on both the run and the pass.

Retro, I saw Brandon McGee anywhere from 12 to 17 yards deep but he was the only No. 1, so far that deep, in the preseason under Williams. Turmaine Johnson was about 8-12 yards deep. Still too far off when considering some of the game situations. I think maybe Williams was letting them make their game decisions to help them learn by reviewing tape. Also, Mc Gee is really not ready to start IMO but still is a good No. 2 at this point. Just his second year & going against No. 1's like Boykin, Cobb and Lacy, he needed to playoff otherwise he would probably give up the deep one.

Was he scared, nervous or just following instruction. IDK ? :noidea:

But those Rogers' play actions were sucking our LB's in so we were set to give up more than a few yards rushing and all those YAC's from Rogers' dink and dunks... (That's pretty much all Rogers did.....)

Especially considering we were playing that vanilla, no scheme, defense. :nod: