• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB Draft class

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the last QB in a draft you had faith in?
For me the last QB I actually felt good about was Lawrence, didn't feel good about Burrows, didn't like Murray or Jones, I thought Mayfield was a game manager type and Darnold i thought was going to be a bust. Allen was the only one I felt good about in that 2018 draft and for 2017 i was on the fence about Mahomes. Something about him i didn't trust but i don't remember what it was as that was 5 years ago lol. I just remember i was thinking he would be a average at best QB. So it's not like I think I can pick them I just go with what I have seen and gut feeling.

When looking at a QB I look at their progression as i want to see how fast they go from one player to the next. Thats the only real clue i go with and i like to see how they throw that 15-20 yard out as that ball needs to be a laser. Those are the Pick 6 balls lol.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me the last QB I actually felt good about was Lawrence, didn't feel good about Burrows, didn't like Murray or Jones, I thought Mayfield was a game manager type and Darnold i thought was going to be a bust. Allen was the only one I felt good about in that 2018 draft and for 2017 i was on the fence about Mahomes. Something about him i didn't trust but i don't remember what it was as that was 5 years ago lol. I just remember i was thinking he would be a average at best QB. So it's not like I think I can pick them I just go with what I have seen and gut feeling.

When looking at a QB I look at their progression as i want to see how fast they go from one player to the next. Thats the only real clue i go with and i like to see how they throw that 15-20 yard out as that ball needs to be a laser. Those are the Pick 6 balls lol.
So since 2017 only Lawrence and Allen that you felt good about. I assume that means you won't want the Seahawks to draft any QB early if you didn't feel good about them? You recommend going with Minshew if the Seahawks don't have Geno ( who you didn't like at the start of season and wanted Lock to start). You actually feel that's a path to success for the Seahawks? I think you are determined for the Seahawks to draft defensive players ( and they do need some) and the heck with the QB position, they can figure that out later......somehow. To be fair I think that is how the majority here thinks, lets worry about the QB later.....next year or the year after, somehow the Seahawks will find one hopefully round 3 or later. IDK seems unrealistic.
I doubt the Seahawks future draft position allows them to draft a Lawrence or a Allen type, going to need at least a top 10 pick and up to the first pick in the draft. Long odds that there will be a QB folks "feel good" about drafting pick 20 or likely later.

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else did you have confidence in?
I haven't paid much attention to QBs since we didnt need one, but those two stood out.

I think that is how the majority here thinks, lets worry about the QB later.....next year or the year after, somehow the Seahawks will find one hopefully round 3 or later. IDK seems unrealistic.
We will reset and draft a QB when Carroll retires. It just doesn't make sense to me to go with a rookie right now when you have a QB that has had the season he did on a team thats honestly not very good.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't paid much attention to QBs since we didnt need one, but those two stood out.

We will reset and draft a QB when Carroll retires. It just doesn't make sense to me to go with a rookie right now when you have a QB that has had the season he did on a team thats honestly not very good.
Carroll contract runs through 2025, so three more years. Seahawks are not winning the SuperBowl with Geno frigging Smith and that’s Pete’s goal. He’s drafting a QB this year. Maybe not with the #3 pick, but he’s going to draft QB he feels can take the Seahawks to the gold this draft and it won’t be a late pick. Easier to fill any other position later then find a QB late. All IMO of course.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll contract runs through 2025, so three more years. Seahawks are not winning the SuperBowl with Geno frigging Smith and that’s Pete’s goal. He’s drafting a QB this year. Maybe not with the #3 pick, but he’s going to draft QB he feels can take the Seahawks to the gold this draft and it won’t be a late pick. Easier to fill any other position later then find a QB late. All IMO of course.

You say it is easiest to fill any other position and yet the evidence doesn't really support that. What you mean to say is that it is more important to draft a QB early because you have a better chance of success and QB is the most important position on the field.

The draft is like a weighted lottery where the higher you pick someone, the more likely you are to hit a player. Doesn't really matter the position. Every position has about the same success rate in the draft based on position. You draft certain positions(QB, DE, CB, OT) earlier than others(RB, LB, OG, C) because you get more value from that position relatively speaking. BUT, you also have to pay that player more when they become FAs. Which is why you see QBs these days thrown into the fray as rookies usually. Because you want to get the most bang for you buck.

If we choose to draft a QB at #3 then we should not resign Geno. Maybe that's the right call but given that our defense is pretty much trash right now and our OL is, at best, average, that seems like an concession to a full rebuild and punting on 2023.

Reactions: MrS

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe there is no question that we'll be drafting a QB sometime in the draft this year... Just not w/ a top 5 overall pick... Pete/John seem to value picks in terms of trading down to acquire more - that's been their MO at least... But last year was unique and one of the few times they actually had a top 10 pick to make one and they selected Cross with #9 so who knows... With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a defensive player with our top 5 (assuming we stay there) but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down into the 8-12 range either while accumulating another 2nd and 3rd round pick in doing so... If they do so, this is where I believe they will commit to a QB - if they trade down... I think they'd take one in the 2nd or 3rd round and have him learn behind Geno for 2 years...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope he leans heavily on Schneider.... I'm fine with Seattle drafting a QB with the top 3 (hopefully Denver loses against the Chargers) but only if John gives his blessing. Pete did not want Wilson who despite falling off a cliff now was the best QB in Seattle's franchise...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe there is no question that we'll be drafting a QB sometime in the draft this year... Just not w/ a top 5 overall pick... Pete/John seem to value picks in terms of trading down to acquire more - that's been their MO at least... But last year was unique and one of the few times they actually had a top 10 pick to make one and they selected Cross with #9 so who knows... With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a defensive player with our top 5 (assuming we stay there) but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down into the 8-12 range either while accumulating another 2nd and 3rd round pick in doing so... If they do so, this is where I believe they will commit to a QB - if they trade down... I think they'd take one in the 2nd or 3rd round and have him learn behind Geno for 2 years...

As I've said from the outset, the only way I see PC/JS drafting a QB with our first pick is if they truly believe that one of them is an elite talent that can become a Pat Mahomes level talent. They aren't going to draft a QB just to draft one.

By biggest fear with them is that they go back to going off trail with their draft picks. Last year they pretty much went chalk with their picks. Every pick was a perceived value pick. And guess what, we had a great draft, perhaps even an exceptional one. With 4 picks in the top 40, they have a chance to have an franchise altering draft.

But it won't matter if they take some lineman from Slippery Rock state from Div III.

If they don't rate one of Carter/Anderson/Wilson/Breese then I'm fine with them trading down. Or if someone offers them an insane package because they desperately want Stroud/Young/Levis then that's fine as well. But there is no reason to get cute with this draft.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he leans heavily on Schneider.... I'm fine with Seattle drafting a QB with the top 3 (hopefully Denver loses against the Chargers) but only if John gives his blessing. Pete did not want Wilson who despite falling off a cliff now was the best QB in Seattle's franchise...
The thing that sucks about the Broncos/Chargers game is that LA will know where they stand in the playoff seedings before their game starts... If they don't have anything to play for, they may sit a few of their starters - especially the ones that are banged up...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are winning it with a great defense and running game, the QB will be along for the ride.

its just not the way his teams are built.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that sucks about the Broncos/Chargers game is that LA will know where they stand in the playoff seedings before their game starts... If they don't have anything to play for, they may sit a few of their starters - especially the ones that are banged up...

I still refuse to believe teams will ignore a game or not try hard because they're out of the playoffs.

If you lose to the Broncos at this point, what message does that send everyone in free agency let alone draft picks?

I hear it all the time on this forum: "Just lose so you can get a better draft pick!" That is about the dumbest mentality possible. Just like the Lions, the Chargers will try to today. It's one thing to rest your starters if you already have home field locked up, etc... but that's not the case. I mean seriously? You think an NFL team (the OL, DL namely) would stick their necks out going forward for a QB, WR, RB, or secondary/LBer player if any one of them said, "Eh we already lost the season, I quit." And good f'ing luck getting a contract if you did that.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still refuse to believe teams will ignore a game or not try hard because they're out of the playoffs.
No one saying that the teams won't try hard, they're just going to have a different set of personnel in doing so... For example, the Giants are sitting D. Jones and S. Barkley today... Brady only played 3 series today w/ nothing else to play for... Chargers could do the same thing if the Ravens end up losing... They could only play their starters for a few series and that's it... There is no doubt that whatever players are out there that the team will still play hard... They're just not as talented in doing so...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one saying that the teams won't try hard, they're just going to have a different set of personnel in doing so... For example, the Giants are sitting D. Jones and S. Barkley today... Brady only played 3 series today w/ nothing else to play for... Chargers could do the same thing if the Ravens end up losing... They could only play their starters for a few series and that's it... There is no doubt that whatever players are out there that the team will still play hard... They're just not as talented in doing so...
youre-being-a-negative-nancy-stop-it.gif

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be surprised if Herbert doesn't start.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if Herbert doesn't start.
Same here but i'd be more surprised if he plays the entire game regardless of the score...

... if the Ravens somehow come from behind to win, then he'll play the entire game imo... Difference of playing the Jaguars or the Bills/Bengals would be on the line for the Chargers... I'd much rather play the Jags...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here but i'd be more surprised if he plays the entire game regardless of the score...

... if the Ravens somehow come from behind to win, then he'll play the entire game imo... Difference of playing the Jaguars or the Bills/Bengals would be on the line for the Chargers... I'd much rather play the Jags...

FTR, I'm just assuming the Broncos will win. I won't get disappointed then.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have the #5 pick which complicates things a little bit. I think we should look at QB that will grow with this young team. Geno Smith is already 32 if we are being realistic he as maybe 3 solid year left. and with the way things are shaping we are not going to get a top draft pick with this team so we should make this count. However I think the Texans and Colts will go QB so we will see what is available. I wouldn't reach on a QB at the same time.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have the #5 pick which complicates things a little bit. I think we should look at QB that will grow with this young team. Geno Smith is already 32 if we are being realistic he as maybe 3 solid year left. and with the way things are shaping we are not going to get a top draft pick with this team so we should make this count. However I think the Texans and Colts will go QB so we will see what is available. I wouldn't reach on a QB at the same time.

IF PC/JS love one of the QBs, then they should draft them. But only if they love them. I don't want them to take whoever is left of Stroud, Young, Levis simply because we will need a QB in the future.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF PC/JS love one of the QBs, then they should draft them. But only if they love them. I don't want them to take whoever is left of Stroud, Young, Levis simply because we will need a QB in the future.

Yeah I would trust their judgement on who to take. By all means whoever the player is please don't let it be a bust like Aaron Curry.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So since 2017 only Lawrence and Allen that you felt good about. I assume that means you won't want the Seahawks to draft any QB early if you didn't feel good about them? You recommend going with Minshew if the Seahawks don't have Geno ( who you didn't like at the start of season and wanted Lock to start). You actually feel that's a path to success for the Seahawks? I think you are determined for the Seahawks to draft defensive players ( and they do need some) and the heck with the QB position, they can figure that out later......somehow. To be fair I think that is how the majority here thinks, lets worry about the QB later.....next year or the year after, somehow the Seahawks will find one hopefully round 3 or later. IDK seems unrealistic.
I doubt the Seahawks future draft position allows them to draft a Lawrence or an Allen type, going to need at least a top 10 pick and up to the first pick in the draft. Long odds that there will be a QB folks "feel good" about drafting pick 20 or likely later.
After Rick Mirer, I’m scared to draft a QB with a top pick, everyone said he was the next possible Joe Montana, even Bill Walsh liked Mirer … But then again, I’m scared to draft a top LB after Aaron Curry … LoL But in all seriousness, one thing John has proven, he seems to understand what makes a good QB, he had Wilson targeted for a long while, then wanted Mahomes, so we gotta trust in John and feel pretty good if he targets a QB he must really see something he likes …