• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 NFL Draft: Quarterback Class

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think I’d squabble with your order much at all. At the same time, in a group where each of the 5 have legitimate risk concerns, I may prop AR up to being even the top guy on my board. If I’m picking through risky product, I want to zone in on the one with the greatest upside since I’m taking on risk in all choices. If I’m QB desperate I think my real choice right now is to trade out from the top with the hopes of getting more draft capital for next year’s draft. I want a 2024 draft asset laden deal for me to look at Caleb Williams or Maye from NC next year. I’m thinking of a squad like Indy here.
I would actually be ok with that, take the best available player at #4 or trade it back and stock up for next year, let Minshew run the offense this year, he either excels, or we get a great pick for the two studs next year.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The results:

1. Bryce Young - 1st overall, Panthers
2. C.J Stroud - 2nd overall, Texans
3. Anthony Richardson - 4th overall, Colts
4. Will Levis - 33rd overall, Titans
5. Hendon Hooker - 68th overall, Lions

Young, Stroud and Richardson going in the top 5 was expected. We knew Levis' stock was falling. CBS Sports and ESPN ended up moving him from QB3 to QB4. The Titans went with the safe pick of Peter Skoronski first, and then pulled the trigger for Levis. Very interesting move.

Which QB in the top rounds went into the best situation and which one went into the worst situation?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The results:

Young, Stroud and Richardson going in the top 5 was expected. We knew Levis' stock was falling. CBS Sports and ESPN ended up moving him from QB3 to QB4. The Titans went with the safe pick of Peter Skoronski first, and then pulled the trigger for Levis. Very interesting move.

Which QB in the top rounds went into the best situation and which one went into the worst situation?
Hooker pretty clearly went to the best situation. Stroud to the Texans seems like a mess imo.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The results:

Young and Richardson went to good offensive minds that know how to develop QBs.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th Round:

6. Jake Haener - New Orleans Saints
7. Stetson Bennett - L.A Rams
8. Aidan O'Connell - Las Vegas Raiders

5th Round:

9. Clayton Tune - Arizona Cardinals
10. DTR - Cleveland Browns
11. Sean Clifford - Green Bay Packers
12. Jaren Hall - Minnesota Vikings

6th-7th Round:

13. Tanner McKee - Philadelphia Eagles (6th Round)
14. Max Duggan - L.A Chargers (7th Round)

Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins were 4th round selections. Tom Brady was 6th round. Brock Purdy was 7th round / Mr. Irrelevant (10th QB picked).

Which of Day 3 picks do you believe might turn into a top tier QB?

In our QB class discussions, we did not do Bennett, O'Connell, Tune, and Clifford.

Jake Haener had the 2nd highest S2 Cognitive score with a 96% score. He excelled during the Senior Bowl week and ended up winning the MVP trophy for the game. The buzz on Haener is that he's very smart and accurate with the football, but lacks elite the size and physical traits. Perceived to be a "backup guy."

BTW - This week is QB Draft Review week.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea what the Eagles see in Tanner McKee. Head scratcher for me.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea what the Eagles see in Tanner McKee. Head scratcher for me.
McKee has good size and a strong arm -- best qualities. Mobility is a big concern for him. I don't think he was drafted to compete with Golden Boy Hurts for the starter, but somebody down-the-road as a pinch hitter. It's not a Carson Wentz-Jalen Hurts situation. Being a 6th rounder means he's expendable.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McKee has good size and a strong arm -- best qualities. Mobility is a big concern for him. I don't think he was drafted to compete with Golden Boy Hurts for the starter, but somebody down-the-road as a pinch hitter. It's not a Carson Wentz-Jalen Hurts situation. Being a 6th rounder means he's expendable.
My issue is style. He’s the antithesis of Hurts which means I don’t like him as a back up. I don’t see value in having to take two QBs who need dramatically different systems to be successful being the game plan in case of QB injury. It’s like you have to reinvent the wheel to get through 2-3 games. It’s why I’m pleased they signed Mariota. He’s consistent with a plan for Hurts.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You heard it here first................................

Round 6 Patriots select the next TB12 ......................................Stetson Bennett QB GEO

The Rams got the next TB12? Sweet!

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is style. He’s the antithesis of Hurts which means I don’t like him as a back up. I don’t see value in having to take two QBs who need dramatically different systems to be successful being the game plan in case of QB injury. It’s like you have to reinvent the wheel to get through 2-3 games. It’s why I’m pleased they signed Mariota. He’s consistent with a plan for Hurts.
15 years ago McKee is probably a first round pick, but he is becoming an outdated model. He is for sure a strange fit for the Eagles. If Hurts did go down the offense can't just shift to a statue back there. it changes the entire offense.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15 years ago McKee is probably a first round pick, but he is becoming an outdated model. He is for sure a strange fit for the Eagles. If Hurts did go down the offense can't just shift to a statue back there. it changes the entire offense.
If you look at a mock draft from this time last year, he was expected to be a 1st round pick. Stanford was just a hot mess. There is no production to work with when it comes to McKee. Davis Mills had a 7.9 YPA so you at least had something to work with when drafting him as a 3rd round prospect. Mike Renner, to my knowledge, was the only analyst who was still high on McKee and he isnt with PFF anymore after being their lead analyst. I'm not quite sure what happened there because Renner's draft list was great last year but this year he was really high on Levis and McKee and it seems that almost no one else was.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at a mock draft from this time last year, he was expected to be a 1st round pick. Stanford was just a hot mess. There is no production to work with when it comes to McKee. Davis Mills had a 7.9 YPA so you at least had something to work with when drafting him as a 3rd round prospect. Mike Renner, to my knowledge, was the only analyst who was still high on McKee and he isnt with PFF anymore after being their lead analyst. I'm not quite sure what happened there because Renner's draft list was great last year but this year he was really high on Levis and McKee and it seems that almost no one else was.
In our mock draft here I used a 3rd on him and was thrilled with it. I feel like he is a pretty easy projection in the Joe Flacco range. If another team had taken him that late it would have been steal of the draft imo.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hurts gets hurt they need someone who can get the ball downfield to the wideouts to keep defense's honest.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In our mock draft here I used a 3rd on him and was thrilled with it. I feel like he is a pretty easy projection in the Joe Flacco range. If another team had taken him that late it would have been steal of the draft imo.
It still might be a steal. Going from a terrible program to a team with a top oline and two top receivers is probably going to be the opposite experience CJ Stroud is going to have

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still might be a steal. Going from a terrible program to a team with a top oline and two top receivers is probably going to be the opposite experience CJ Stroud is going to have
I doubt we will have any idea on what Stroud can be until late in year 2 or even into year 3. He's going to have some tough growing pains in the NFL. The Texans made some splash moves to get pundits talking but that roster needs a helluva lot more than one draft, imo. Ryans and Casserio have a lot of work to do there.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that a lot of backup caliber QBs were taken later in this draft because there was just nothing else there worth taking. The talking point of most QBs taken in a draft is more of a sign of how weak this draft class really was as opposed to these QBs being the future. Probably half of these kids never see the field in a real game in the NFL and are destined for the XFL.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that a lot of backup caliber QBs were taken later in this draft because there was just nothing else there worth taking. The talking point of most QBs taken in a draft is more of a sign of how weak this draft class really was as opposed to these QBs being the future. Probably half of these kids never see the field in a real game in the NFL and are destined for the XFL.

Rams desperately needed a backup QB, so I understand why they took one (not sure it needed to be in the 4th, but OK as they gained that pick by trading down in the third). I doubt Bennett becomes the starter except by injury, but at least he has big game experience in a pro style program. They had two undrafted guys as backups previously until they grabbed Baker late last season.