• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB Draft class

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the #3 pick bust and is a QB that is not an outstanding draft no matter how you want to look at it because that #3 pick could have been turned into a handful of other picks or another Superstar at a different need position.

If we are desperate for a QB then the mirage of greatness blinds all who seek one. Hawks don't need a great QB to win they need a great D and a game manager QB that limits turnovers.

I like that line "the mirage of greatness blinds all who seek one" that should apply to finding a stud DL also since so many here seem absolutely desperate to draft one ASAP .

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that line "the mirage of greatness blinds all who seek one" that should apply to finding a stud DL also since so many here seem absolutely desperate to draft one ASAP .

I think most of us are desperate to draft one because this defensive line has been somewhere between terrible and average for the past 6 years. Just as last year we needed to draft some tackles to shore up the OL, which still needs help, and we did that. Now we need to do the same on the DL.

I don't see how anyone can watch this team each week and NOT want a stud DL player.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of us are desperate to draft one because this defensive line has been somewhere between terrible and average for the past 6 years. Just as last year we needed to draft some tackles to shore up the OL, which still needs help, and we did that. Now we need to do the same on the DL.

I don't see how anyone can watch this team each week and NOT want a stud DL player.

We need a replacement for Woods, 100%. When he's in the game the DL is tolerable. Ford and Jefferson are 100% 4-3 guys, the 3-4 scheme does not suit them at all... Harris is getting older, he got injured this year - it never turned into much.

I'd like Carter, and I think our locker room has enough maturity and leaders (along with Pete) to motivate him to play. The only knock against him has been his passion for football and desire to play a full career... but that's rumors, etc. Who knows.

Carter, best ILB, best Center, and best QB/EDGE are my hopes for the first 4 picks (no specific order beyond Carter). I'd actually be okay with an EDGE later - Mafe is a good player, we drafted him knowing he was very raw and it'd take a season to develop. He's played 35% or so snaps this year... and done okay. I think Mafe is also suited better for a 4-3 so learning the 3-4 will take time. On that note, why the FUCK did Seattle want the 3-4 so bad this year? I think they'd already be locked in the playoffs if they just stuck with the 4-3... eh whatever.

And on offense Seattle needs to do whatever is in their power to ditch Blythe who is one of the worst (if not the worst) starting centers in the league.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a replacement for Woods, 100%. When he's in the game the DL is tolerable. Ford and Jefferson are 100% 4-3 guys, the 3-4 scheme does not suit them at all... Harris is getting older, he got injured this year - it never turned into much.

I'd like Carter, and I think our locker room has enough maturity and leaders (along with Pete) to motivate him to play. The only knock against him has been his passion for football and desire to play a full career... but that's rumors, etc. Who knows.

Carter, best ILB, best Center, and best QB/EDGE are my hopes for the first 4 picks (no specific order beyond Carter). I'd actually be okay with an EDGE later - Mafe is a good player, we drafted him knowing he was very raw and it'd take a season to develop. He's played 35% or so snaps this year... and done okay. I think Mafe is also suited better for a 4-3 so learning the 3-4 will take time. On that note, why the FUCK did Seattle want the 3-4 so bad this year? I think they'd already be locked in the playoffs if they just stuck with the 4-3... eh whatever.

And on offense Seattle needs to do whatever is in their power to ditch Blythe who is one of the worst (if not the worst) starting centers in the league.

I think we do need to draft a WR fairly early. Lockett is getting pretty long in tooth and misses a fair number of games. We could really use another outside receiver that could stretch the field.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we do need to draft a WR fairly early. Lockett is getting pretty long in tooth and misses a fair number of games. We could really use another outside receiver that could stretch the field.

Not as worried about WR if Waldron continues to run the TE set. I get DIssly is out (AGAIN LDSFJ:LDKFJFDF) but Parkinson and Fant were showing up on Sunday. I do agree Eskridge is a 100% absolute bust (UGH we could've had Humphrey) but Lockett/Metcalf should be good for another season and we can pickup a slot cheap.

We NEED NT, DT, ILB and C like no tomorrow - and if Schneider wants a QB (with his track record) there goes another pick. That actually makes us competitive. Get a WR in the 3rd if you must.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, "Desperate" is a poor choice of wording here... For example, I'm ok to trade down a few picks to grab a different defensive player to gain another pick in the 2nd or so to use for a QB or WR... We can use our other 2 picks in the 2nd for C and S assuming we take a LB with our second 1st round pick.. That's not being "Desperate"... It's looking to fill a need that is the #1 weakness on this team... I view being desperate as reaching and panicking with a draft pick...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, "Desperate" is a poor choice of wording here... For example, I'm ok to trade down a few picks to grab a different defensive player to gain another pick in the 2nd or so to use for a QB or WR... We can use our other 2 picks in the 2nd for C and S assuming we take a LB with our second 1st round pick.. That's not being "Desperate"... It's looking to fill a need that is the #1 weakness on this team... I view being desperate as reaching and panicking with a draft pick...
Most here just want to draft either Anderson or Carter with the #3 period. I think Tyree Wilson is better than either of those two myself. Unfortunately his star has been rising quickly in mocks. I just cruised mocks and seen him from pick #12 all the way up to pick #4, most mocks slotted him from 5-7, by the time the draft arrives he may leap over Carter and Anderson. I do think desperate is an apt description for filling a need by posters here, including myself except I see QB as the position that needs addressed while the opportunity is there.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most here just want to draft either Anderson or Carter with the #3 period. I think Tyree Wilson is better than either of those two myself. Unfortunately his star has been rising quickly in mocks. I just cruised mocks and seen him from pick #12 all the way up to pick #4, most mocks slotted him from 5-7, by the time the draft arrives he may leap over Carter and Anderson. I do think desperate is an apt description for filling a need by posters here, including myself except I see QB as the position that needs addressed while the opportunity is there.

I can't speak for anything else but I'm far less concerned about which defensive lineman we pick than picking a defensive lineman with that first pick.

I just don't see the value in picking a QB with No. 3 if we are going to resign Geno. That would mean he wouldn't be starting in his rookie year and, unless things fall apart, not in his 2nd year as well. So, unless things fall apart, we would only get 3 rookie contract years out of him as a starter best case.

The whole point of drafting a QB early is to get them to start early and maximize their rookie contract.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're picking a QB top 3, he is your starter. I think it would be fair to assume if we resign geno we are not taking a QB with that first pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we are going to resign Geno

If is the right word as who knows if Geno will be resigned, I sure the Seahawks are interested but this is his ONE chance to cash in so it's far from certain. Now what happens if Geno isn't signed by the time the draft arrives, what would you recommend then? What do the Seahawks do if Geno stinks next season, if you don't already have his replacement in hand. I don't want to have to go with some failed retread when it isn't necessary It's just prudent to find the next QB now while the opportunity is there. I think the plan after trading RW was to draft a QB in 2023 and I still think that should be the plan.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If is the right word as who knows if Geno will be resigned, I sure the Seahawks are interested but this is his ONE chance to cash in so it's far from certain. Now what happens if Geno isn't signed by the time the draft arrives, what would you recommend then? What do the Seahawks do if Geno stinks next season, if you don't already have his replacement in hand. I don't want to have to go with some failed retread when it isn't necessary It's just prudent to find the next QB now while the opportunity is there. I think the plan after trading RW was to draft a QB in 2023 and I still think that should be the plan.

Geno will be signed well before the draft. While I think the Seahawks are the most likely team to do so, it's possible that some team comes in over the top to sign him. I doubt it though.

The plan may have been to draft a QB in 2023. I highly highly doubt that PC/JS thought they would have a top 5 in that draft. And they certainly didn't expect Geno to be one of the top 10 QBs in the NFL this year.

So now we are here. Maybe the best plan is to let Geno walk, draft a QB and let him compete with Drew Lock for the starting QB. But I think it is pretty unlikely that Pete would be interested in rolling the dice in that way. The BEST chance for the Seahawks to be a contender NEXT year is to roll with Geno and hope you hit on your rookies and FAs in the offseason. That may not be the choice for the organization. But when you have a 71 year old HC, you are in win now mode.

Which is why I have said that if Pete were to retire then I would support drafting a QB with #3. Because we would be doing a true rebuild with a new coach. But Pete ain't retiring.

Reactions: MrS

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rebuild the defense with the early picks. Try to get lucky with a day 2/3 pick. Roll with Geno.
Agreed.

All this does change if for some reason we don't extend Geno.

For those of you concerned about Geno's decrease in production the last month or so, per PFF the Seahawks offensive line has given up 80 pressures since week 15, which is the most in the NFL.

If that makes you concerned about the offensive line, I wouldn't be too worried. Both tackles are still rookies, Damien Lewis is solid and the two weak links on our offensive line (Blythe and Gabe Jackson), likely won't be back next year and hopefully they're able to upgrade those two spots.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

All this does change if for some reason we don't extend Geno.

For those of you concerned about Geno's decrease in production the last month or so, per PFF the Seahawks offensive line has given up 80 pressures since week 15, which is the most in the NFL.

If that makes you concerned about the offensive line, I wouldn't be too worried. Both tackles are still rookies, Damien Lewis is solid and the two weak links on our offensive line (Blythe and Gabe Jackson), likely won't be back next year and hopefully they're able to upgrade those two spots.

I would like to see us sign a center in FA. I think both rookie tackles hit the rookie wall a few weeks ago. Replace Jackson with another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno man, I think Bryce Young's stature is a flaw, and quite a significant one. Short and slight.
It would concern me more if he wasn't able to see the entire field from the pocket.

His game reminds me a lot of a young Drew Brees with more mobility.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would concern me more if he wasn't able to see the entire field from the pocket.

Can he see the field? Ill be shocked if he measures in at 6', he will be more like sub 5'11 at the combine.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like he is a slimmer framed Russell Wilson.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can he see the field? Ill be shocked if he measures in at 6', he will be more like sub 5'11 at the combine.

This is what he did against one of the best defenses college football has seen in a long time.

He'll probably measure in at around 5'11. The thing that concerns me a bit more is his slight frame. Hard to say if he'll hold up taking hits at the NFL level.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what he did against one of the best defenses college football has seen in a long time.

He'll probably measure in at around 5'11. The thing that concerns me a bit more is his slight frame. Hard to say if he'll hold up taking hits at the NFL level.
I don't doubt his ability at all, just his size.