• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Putting A Value On Hockey Loyalty

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the days after the NHL lockout ended, teams rushed to offer special deals to fans to make amends. If the euphoria on display last week was any indication, much has been forgiven. But if teams truly want to satisfy fans after the protracted dispute, opening night giveaways won’t go far enough, says a sports marketer and former hockey executive. Cary Kaplan, the president of Cosmos Sports and a former executive with the Hamilton Bulldogs hockey team, says the flurry of discounts were an important gesture, but won’t provide the “sustained change” fans deserve after so many months of being deprived of the game.

Players should be front and centre in that effort, says Kaplan. They should call season-ticket holders to thank them for their loyalty, or do more for fans on game days. “Why doesn’t every player sign autographs after every game? Why isn’t that mandatory?” he asks. “Kids don’t want free popcorn. They want to meet Phil Kessel. That’s the power these players and leagues and teams have.”

Still, Kaplan admits the discounts didn’t hurt. Of the teams that reportedly offered freebies, Maclean’s looked at how much they were potentially willing to put on the line for their first home game, relative to their team salaries (see graphic, below). For instance, if every Carolina Hurricanes fan took advantage of the savings offered on opening night— half off tickets and merchandise, cheap food and drink—the team would have given up an estimated $2 million in revenue. That amounts to about three times what it paid its players for the night’s work. Five of the 10 most generous teams were in Canadian cities, while Winnipeg and Toronto were further down the list.On the eve of the NHL’s shortened season, one in four Canadian hockey fans told a Harris-Decima poll they’d watch the pros less this year. It will take more than cheap hot dogs to win them all back.

NHL Interactive: Putting a value on hockey loyalty - Need to know - Macleans.ca

Click on the link to see an interactive breakout of teams, and what they gave up.

Carolina was at the top with 311% while the Lightning and Caps were at the bottom with 26%.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, the Leafs are way down the list at 56%. They gave back to fans 1,000 free seats and free beer and soft drinks.

You would think with the money they bring in, they could give back a little bit more to their fans. :noidea:

lol @ no processing fees for the Caps and Lightning.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the Leafs offer free admission to their season ticket holders for their home opener?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the Leafs offer free admission to their season ticket holders for their home opener?

IDK, But they should offer free playoff tickets. That probably wouldn't cost them a dime. :laugh3:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since an open practice was held for fans last week, the Original Six team has been giving away free tickets to Monday’s home opener, jerseys and other merchandise. The club’s 15,000 season ticket holders are getting free admission to the game.

Read more: Maple Leafs fans get set for home opener | CP24.com

Hmmmm, now I don't know what to believe anymore. If they missed that, what else did they miss?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, the Leafs are way down the list at 56%. They gave back to fans 1,000 free seats and free beer and soft drinks.

You would think with the money they bring in, they could give back a little bit more to their fans. :noidea:

lol @ no processing fees for the Caps and Lightning.

The Caps also had a night of practice at Verizon Center with free admission, free food and drinks (nachos, hot dogs, pretzels, sodas), player Q&A, and autograph sessions.

To be honest, I care less about saving $20 or $30 and agree with what the article said about the players themselves reaching out more. When I was a kid, you could always get some autographs from guys after the games. You went to the dressing room door and the guys walked past you to their cars and sometimes they didn't feel like it, but most nights they stopped and signed. Most stadiums now the players go straight to cars/buses and they're out. Why not have 2 guys randomly picked each night to sit in the concourse and sign at home games?

I also think the league should due more to acknowledge the mistakes and try to promise this won't happen again - that they've screwed up too many times and they are aware of it. People can accept the failure of others. What people do not accept is when you fail without acknowledgement or explanation. I don't care about 30% off b/c I'm not buying any merch this year, I want it not to happen again.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
sheeples bought it up.

canucks sold 8,500 jerseys during 3 game-day sale.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sheeples bought it up.

canucks sold 8,500 jerseys during 3 game-day sale.

lets say they were all replicas no names

8500 X $59.99 = $509,975

lets say then that 25% of them were named authentic

6325 X $59.99 = $379,436.75
2125 X $164.99 = $350,603.75
total = $730,040.50

my numbers added up show 2 plus the 5 - the 7 divide by the 20 and equal to the fucking idiotic sheep.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As much as I like to say Leafs management are dicks (they are) the article fails to mention all of the seats to the home opener (about 18,000) were free.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that list pretty much shows you what teams sincerely cared about their fans to begin with...

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canucks tickets for rest of the season on sale for general public at noon today

Why did they do this ... Was there an advance period for season ticket holders to buy extra tickets before the general public early so they have the opportunity to resell them?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canucks tickets for rest of the season on sale for general public at noon today

Why did they do this ... Was there an advance period for season ticket holders to buy extra tickets before the general public early so they have the opportunity to resell them?

Not sure that's fair if so...I understand that the ones paying the most are STH, and I do think they deserve a certain amount of perks because of that. On the other hand: we all suffered through this. Just because myself as a college student cannot afford the insane price of season tickets doesn't mean I wasn't as loyal. But I suppose this is all about money anyway. Gotta love that scalping was once illegal, but now that teams can make more money with double the processing fees it's all good.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston just gave away about 11 dollars worth of pizza; that oughta bump up their percentage points significantly.