• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pros and Cons of week one

wiscohusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The RB's were out of position many times.

If you watch the Martinez TD run that made it 20-0, notice Rex went the wrong way. I don't know if that was planned, but kinda disconcerting that everybody else went to their left and Rex went right. That was the only thing I noticed that was "off". It seemed like Taylor was content to take it and run when there was pressure in the pocket, which is a marked improvement from late last year.
I'm happy about the lack of penalties, especially with such a young OL. I think we may see a little more next week. I don't think we need to blow anyone out just to say we did OR to save face with the media. If running student-body left and student-body right wins you games against lesser opponent, do it. No reason to open your playbook all the way for FCS teams.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you watch the Martinez TD run that made it 20-0, notice Rex went the wrong way. I don't know if that was planned, but kinda disconcerting that everybody else went to their left and Rex went right. That was the only thing I noticed that was "off". It seemed like Taylor was content to take it and run when there was pressure in the pocket, which is a marked improvement from late last year.
I'm happy about the lack of penalties, especially with such a young OL. I think we may see a little more next week. I don't think we need to blow anyone out just to say we did OR to save face with the media. If running student-body left and student-body right wins you games against lesser opponent, do it. No reason to open your playbook all the way for FCS teams.

Yea, that was the play where Taylor saw the left side of the field was gonna be open so he audibled at the line of scrimmage.........the play was originally going to the right.

Funny thing is, maybe Rex going to the right threw the LBs off a little bit.........who knows. But it was a great audible by Taylor.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There were a handful of times the RB was a foot away from QB on the corner. Instead of being available for the pitch, the QB just handed it to him like a hot potato. This happened to both Martinez and Carnes.

I suppose blame could also be placed on the QB for stretching it out too far, not making his read, not getting the defender commit to him? They had run out of field. Option is about timing and execution and that needs to get fixed. Nebraska's offense needs to get East/West faster if they're gonna have success going North/South.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I notice Martinez liked to stay up instead of dropping back. He actually tripped over his blockers feet a couple of times and like you said he was right next to his RB's a lot.

Looking at a gain I also agree Rex should of got the ball a lot more. Martinez needs to give him a chance.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the spacing for the option was terrible. Taylor is running it too deep, or taking the wrong angle to attack the edge.
The line blocking was very disappointing. I was hoping that the extra coaching help would make a marked improvement, but it did not. Youth and a lack of time playing together does not account for poor technique.
The front four on defense got pushed around. Am I the only one to see this?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense was disorganized at times more than anything else.

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I notice Martinez liked to stay up instead of dropping back. He actually tripped over his blockers feet a couple of times and like you said he was right next to his RB's a lot.

Looking at a gain I also agree Rex should of got the ball a lot more. Martinez needs to give him a chance.

THANK YOU!!!!!

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will also say Stafford was a good pick up. He seemed to be on ball a lot. He has the instinct to be where the ball is.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear when Tommie Frazier ran the option he was damn near right on the heals of the linemen so when he decided to cut up field, he was gaining yards instantly, and every time. Also, in doing that, Tommie was able to force the defender to come to him, rather than hanging back and just waiting for the defender to come to him........which opened up the pitch to the I-back.

Like we've all been saying, it's just gonna take some time. The option is one of those things that you can only teach to a certain point, and then the rest is all about timing, rhythm, and just getting an overall comfortable feel for running it.

And of course, it helps when you have a pipeline for an offensive line.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, some of these young players just don't understand it all yet. Did you see Brion run the option? The one time the defender was 20 feet away from him when he pitched the ball.

He'll get it figured out though...........guarantee you Tommie has already given him an earful as they stay close in contact.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the starters weren't pretty but the back-ups were really ugly running the option.

There were a few moments where it was well executed.

I'm hoping we get a couple of the Martinez breakaway runs on youtube. It actually went for a TD but probably should have. #48 Tyler Legate was all fucked up on that play.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:44 on the video.

#48 Legate was really just a waste of space on the field. No contribution at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe he was the check down guy and TM just made the right read and took off instead? Lagate just looks a little foolish trying to run next to a guy that is doubly faster than he is

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seen Jamal run 10 yards of his route a few times, then just sit without trying to shake off the defender..

just some effort issues that need to be fixed across the board.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The early option to Rex was executed well in it's early stages. Too many Mocs downfield though.

HuskerFan8807

HUGE member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
my overall opinion of the game.

D line very impressive,
o line needs to grow together,
if martinez keeps running the way he did he wont make it through 3 big 10 games,
david is still a beast, but fisher needs to shake off the rust...
maher is my man crush... cough cough i mean new favorite player! lol

overall offense needs to come together and the D needs Dennard back.
C+

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe he was the check down guy and TM just made the right read and took off instead? Lagate just looks a little foolish trying to run next to a guy that is doubly faster than he is

He was too close to TM from the snap though. Looks like a busted play that just happened to turn into a big play.

In my recollection the FB is your first option read. Give it to him if a hole's there. If not fake it (get a LB to commit to the FB) and move to your second option which is the QB keep. If the DE is there go to your third option but get the DE committed to you first. Make the pitch to the RB. Lineman need to pull properly and rcvrs need to block.

On that play, FB Legate was in his hip pocket from the get go. :confused2:

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it was supposed to be a lead option...in which case legate should have cut upfield sooner and sealed off one of the LBs at the second level.