• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pros and Cons of week one

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was too close to TM from the snap though. Looks like a busted play that just happened to turn into a big play.

In my recollection the FB is your first option read. Give it to him if a hole's there. If not fake it (get a LB to commit to the FB) and move to your second option which is the QB keep. If the DE is there go to your third option but get the DE committed to you first. Make the pitch to the RB. Lineman need to pull properly and rcvrs need to block.

On that play, FB Legate was in his hip pocket from the get go. :confused2:

Beck said it was originally an option to the right, but Taylor thought he saw something to the left, so he audibled to run it to the left.........

However, a couple players didn't get the memo and went the wrong way.......one of those was Rex who apparently went right......

So, essentially it was a busted play, but a great call made by Taylor at the line. Some signs that he hopefully has the ability to see things and make calls when needed.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 1 Assessment;

I will start by saying it’s a “W”

I have all the confidence in the world that we will improve dramatically in the coming weeks… and we will need to improve in order to survive our schedule. No doubt in my mind that we have issues to correct and some issues were surprising.

I seen a lot of youthful mistakes Saturday which I have not seen going in to week one in preparation for the season to start. Some of this can be attributed to young kids not playing together before in a “game” environment.

I will temper the comments by saying that the game (Play calling was subjective to what we wanted to accomplish this week). I laughed at this when Bo tried to explain this to the media but what he was saying without knocking Chat… was… we were in control of the game and we had work to do and it gave us real time and a game setting to accomplish some of these task… Time we most likely will not have for a while…

Although our “D” played ok, I really think that Chat kind of threw a surprise to all of us. I want you all to look at previous games played by Chat and see the “O” they ran. I think we were expecting more of a Big Ten type “O” (sets and formations) as they typically ran in the past. Although the “O” (sets and formations) were nothing shocking, I do not think our prep was there and it kind of threw our kids off a little. We had to re-educate a little on the run (so to speak) and with that, we did fairly well as indicated by the final score. (my opinion)

Our “D” is pretty solid but as mentioned by many of you, there are players who need to step up their game(linebacker and coverage breakdowns to mention a couple areas). I was a little disappointed in a few of our player’s performances and expect them to pick it up this coming week. Keep in mind, Bo was watching these kids work together and was seeing who worked the best together. Game 1 guys… learning curve for all involved.

On “O”, meh… I was not impressed by the total number of turnovers as well as mental errors that were self inflicted once again, but I can tell you that if you watched practices leading up to this game, you would not have suspected those types of issues would be the things we had to speak of at game’s end.

Our kicking game was great… all facets..
Return game.. some stupid mistakes…

Fresno State will be a solid test… Believe me, they can play with anyone and have… Guys, I know what we all want as well as the players… it is hard after 1 game to say that we have what it will take to get there. We have the talent to get there but need to get that talent to work together (in unison). Our players have to learn to trust each other (not worrying about the player next to you doing their job) and focus on each of their own jobs. There was way too much rubber necking going on, which led to plays not producing what they should have.

I have stated in other post on this board that we (Nebraska) have a handful of games on the schedule this year that may be decided by a few plays. As much as I would love to be a homer and say I am “100 % confident we will win them all and go to the Big Ten Championship” I cannot. Too many unknowns and too many games with top notch talent playing on the other side of the ball to be that ignorant. What I am hoping to see is that we get a whole lot better this week and build from that. We use the OOC schedule to hone our game and get proficient it all 3 areas of the game so when we get to the Big Ten portion of our schedule, we play as (One).

Bo and Beck stated the facts in their pressers and I suspect they will get on top of things this week. What we all seen from week 1 was a team (hopefully) going through some growing pains and getting to know each other. The film study started right away (corrections and modifications) and everyone took to watching them and open and honest critique of their play.

I read some of the comments by some on the board and had to snicker as to their egregious attempt to ridicule everything right from the start (just like clockwork). Don’t throw the baby away with the bath water guys… I am not saying we are, or will be, world beaters…. but we are not a team that anyone on our schedule should/will take lightly either. Some of the comments are legit… but too much emotion spewed on the page with much of it… (Not picking on anyone here... so if you take issue with it.. then possibly you see this in yourself aready...)

On a highly positive note… we have some young studs that touched the ball lightly and showed they will be monster contributors in the coming year/s..

Last edited by a moderator:

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great insight BRS. Fresno Street will indeed be a better task, very well coached by Pat Hill. They don't get intimidated, I can't believe the spread on this game -28 NU. Looking forward to this game.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks BRS. I always look forward to your analysis.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The main issue we have is on the offensive line, {go figure} and the thing that bothered me is our players not being able to out muscle a very weak defensive team. No excuse for that. If they don't improve by leaps and bounds by seasons end, or hopefully much sooner, it's time for Ole Barn to leave.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol wut? You guys are crazy...............we're good to go. #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Champz!!!!!!!!!!!!

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BRS you mentioned that guys need to stop worrying about the guy next to them doing their job correctly an just worry about their own job. is that really an issue? because i thought ive been hearing about how everyone is closer this year than in past years, and it seems that would translate to the field. are guys being selfish and blaming things on other guys? or am i just misunderstanding the meaning behind your statement?

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BRS you mentioned that guys need to stop worrying about the guy next to them doing their job correctly an just worry about their own job. is that really an issue? because i thought ive been hearing about how everyone is closer this year than in past years, and it seems that would translate to the field. are guys being selfish and blaming things on other guys? or am i just misunderstanding the meaning behind your statement?

two different things chucksker...

no issue's of players getting along.

Fine tuned machines need not worry about what the guy next to him is doing or has to do, thus they do their function knowing the next guy is doing his job without thinking or reacting to what is, or is not happening.

Just to use an example of what I mean... here... watch... I know.. its not football... but it will give you the meaning behind what I am saying about doing what you are supposed to be doing without having to worry about what other are going to do... LOL

Or

Last edited by a moderator:

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see your point. so its more of an issue of each man getting his own technique correct, which then, when put together with the rest of the O, will look straight up glorious...correct?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Tis true.........you have to expect that the coaches will put the guys in the right place, and if every individual completes their assignment, there should be no excuse for why the play isn't successful..........true story