• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PRESEASON THREAD

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it would be good to start a thread where we can discuss the preseason games. What in particular will you be watching for each game???

1st up is the Giants (not that the opponent really matters). I'm sure I speak for a lot of yinzers, but I'm pretty excited to see Bell's first game, whether he starts or not. I'll also have my eyes on the linebackers. I hope to see a lot of improvement out of that group!

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is our first preseason game?

Nevermind. Looks like Saturday night at 730

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am interested in seeing several key positions that we lost such as who will replace Wallace and Harrison. I am looking forward to seeing what the backup QB's will do.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it would be good to start a thread where we can discuss the preseason games. What in particular will you be watching for each game???

OL zone blocking and pass protection...probably not going to see much blitzing in the pre-season, but blocking delayed blitzes seem to be a problem LY.

Rookies...Justin Brown and Markus Wheaton...for the team to be a playoff caliber, 3 reliable WRs are a must. I'm hearing on the training camp blogs Brown is having a good camp so far.

sportfan09

WHAT THE FUCK
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
wheres all the freaks and geeks bitches lol how goes brothers and sisters

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be watching to see if Troy hairball and Big Ben get hurt.

GO Ravens!!!

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be watching to see if Troy hairball and Big Ben get hurt

That seems to be the only way the Ravens can get past the Steelers.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given they are playing the Giants, I will get to see the game this weekend.

I have lots of questions about the Steelers this season.

Can Cortez Allen replace Keenan Lewis?
I am looking forward to watching Cortez Allen try to replace Keenan Lewis, but I will have to wait for that with Allen's surgery. Here in N.Y., I don't get any Steelers coverage. Was the reason they let Lewis go purely salary cap, or because they think Allen has as much or more ability? Or both?

Can Troy Polamalu stay healthy?
Troy is a dynamic, yet overrated player. Personally, I would have cut him and kept Keenan Lewis. That said, he is still on the team, and we need him to make big plays.

Can Jarvis Jones win a starting job?
Steeler rookie LB's seldom start, but Jones may be the exception. We need him to beat out Worilds, and be a force to take pressure off of Woodley on the other side. Harrison was on the downside, but he coulod still get after the QB.

How good is Markus Wheaton?
Even before the Steelers drafted him, there were comparisons being made to Mike Wallace. Though not as fast as the "other" MW, Markus is fast, strong, and tough. The plan seems to be to use him all over the field. With Heath Miller out, we are going to need 3 legitimate receivers.

Can the O-Line ever stay healthy for a full season?
With Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Adams, and Foster, the Steelers have maybe the most talented line they have had in decades. The run game should improve a lot, but they need to protect Big Ben.

Will we ever get anything out of Ziggy Hood and Cam Heyward?
This is put up or shut up time for these guys. Our D-Line is old, and we neeed to rely more on Hood and Heyward then Steve McLendon. One of these years will be Brett Keisel's last, and we need new leadership on the D-Line.

I know the thread was about pre-season games specifically, but the answers to some of these questions starts in the pre-season.

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am looking forward to watching Cortez Allen try to replace Keenan Lewis, but I will have to wait for that with Allen's surgery. Here in N.Y., I don't get any Steelers coverage. Was the reason they let Lewis go purely salary cap, or because they think Allen has as much or more ability? Or both?

Troy is a dynamic, yet overrated player. Personally, I would have cut him and kept Keenan Lewis. That said, he is still on the team, and we need him to make big plays.

Steeler rookie LB's seldom start, but Jones may be the exception. We need him to beat out Worilds, and be a force to take pressure off of Woodley on the other side. Harrison was on the downside, but he coulod still get after the QB.

Even before the Steelers drafted him, there were comparisons being made to Mike Wallace. Though not as fast as the "other" MW, Markus is fast, strong, and tough. The plan seems to be to use him all over the field. With Heath Miller out, we are going to need 3 legitimate receivers.

With Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Adams, and Foster, the Steelers have maybe the most talented line they have had in decades. The run game should improve a lot, but they need to protect Big Ben.

This is put up or shut up time for these guys. Our D-Line is old, and we neeed to rely more on Hood and Heyward then Steve McLendon. One of these years will be Brett Keisel's last, and we need new leadership on the D-Line.

I know the thread was about pre-season games specifically, but the answers to some of these questions starts in the pre-season.

I read an article a few months ago and there was talks about the Steelers letting Lewis go next year. I guess they let him go this year to free up some cap space.

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be watching to see if Troy hairball and Big Ben get hurt

That seems to be the only way the Ravens can get past the Steelers.

The rats fans (or lack there of) haven't showed up on their forum to talk, so they come to ours. Looks like they are beginning to fear their season is doomed while overpaying for Sacco Flacco and losing some key players.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious to see how Wheaton and Moye look. Although I feel pretty good about our top three receivers this season, it would be nice to see a rookie emerge quickly and help fill the Wallace void.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some legit questions...not answers, but my thoughts.

Allen...yes. Both of these guys blossomed at the same time LY...I wouldn't say coin flip but the job could've gone to either Lewis or Allen LY, Coach Lake likes Allen a lot. I think the intentions were to keep Lewis, but he commanded the highest FA price of any CB...no way they could put that much cap $ into 2 CBs.

Troy...I mostly agree with you, but he's been a big enough playmaker that I can see giving him another year...if Troy misses 4-5 games this season I don't think they will keep him next yr...he appears healthy now...game at a time is best we can ask for with him.

Jones...I would be surprised if he started, can't imagine him being better against the run than Worilds already... On the camp blogs I've read, he's doing pretty well so you could get your wish on him starting at some point during the season.

Wheaton...I'm with you here...not hearing glowing remarks from camp yet...he's going to need to make some plays early imo to keep DEF from dbling Brown.

OL...I'm most interested in seeing this group and I don't think Tomlin can leave camp with less than 8 OL.

DL...I think the DL is very young...Take Keisel away, who has age?

I do agree with you on the DEs as well...I read they were going to change up the DE tactic a little and try and get more edge pressure vs trying to clog up the OL blocking. That might help Heyward who has some quickness. Hood is a big body, cheap, imo he does his job, but what he doesn't give you are splash plays. Right now...what hearing it's McClendon or McClendon @ NT...Ta'auma is 2nd right now, but Al Woods looks better, so hopefully McClendon stays up right.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DL...I think the DL is very young...Take Keisel away, who has age?

That is true. I think of this unit as old because the best players on the D-Line last year were Hampton and Keisel, and then Aaron Smith before that with those guys. We haven't had young players take the reigns like we did at most of the other positions on both sides of the ball.

I saw Heyward dropped some weight to gain quickness. Any extra edge rush would be nice if teams stack the deck against Woodley this season.

I also forgot about Shamarko Thomas. Any word on his progress in camp? Safety is another position we need to get younger, though Ryan Clark is still awesome. I think he is one of the most underrated players in football.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also forgot about Shamarko Thomas. Any word on his progress in camp? Safety is another position we need to get younger, though Ryan Clark is still awesome. I think he is one of the most underrated players in football.

Thomas...words I'm hearing are blog reports mostly (some of these bloggers take this very serious I know at least 2 are at camp daily, and actually get to speak to coaches, players, etc.)

Recognition on playaction fakes, etc. is a little step slow, but he brings the lumber...they like his cover skills, don't be surprised to see him play some dime, maybe even some nickle in this 1st preseason game with all the DBs hurt.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey steeler fan dont mean to take away from your thread but with mendehall gone who do you guys think will get the most carries this season? I was thinking of drafting LeVeon Bell a little high in fantasy football

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost a guarantee that Shmarko is going to see a lot of time in the nickel this preseason. Also from what I have been reading, it seems as though Ta'amu fell to #3 behind Fangupo. Woods seems to be the odd man out now.

I'm also really curious about Landry Jones. He seems to have his work cut out for him since JPW is currently winning the #3 spot. That would be a huge waste if he doesn't progress like they'd hoped. We could have found much more value in a different player with a 4th round pick last april. As with every season, there's always those "what if's"... I hope he starts to show some life in the preseason or he's going to be a practice squad body. It would be tough to put a 4th rounder on the PS!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey steeler fan dont mean to take away from your thread but with mendehall gone who do you guys think will get the most carries this season? I was thinking of drafting LeVeon Bell a little high in fantasy football

It will be either Bell or Dwyer. Unless trade talks begin before the season, then Redman would be in the mix. Bell is probably the best bet, but I wouldn't draft him very high in Fantasy Football until maybe the 6th or 7th rounds as a flex. But he could pay out huge if the running game is clicking on all cylinders this season!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost a guarantee that Shmarko is going to see a lot of time in the nickel this preseason. Also from what I have been reading, it seems as though Ta'amu fell to #3 behind Fangupo. Woods seems to be the odd man out now.

I'm also really curious about Landry Jones. He seems to have his work cut out for him since JPW is currently winning the #3 spot. That would be a huge waste if he doesn't progress like they'd hoped. We could have found much more value in a different player with a 4th round pick last april. As with every season, there's always those "what if's"... I hope he starts to show some life in the preseason or he's going to be a practice squad body. It would be tough to put a 4th rounder on the PS!

If Jones can't beat out JPW, I would be a little disappointed but that's always a risk when you take a QB in the middle rounds.

I'm getting a different vibe on Woods...we'll have to see how it sorts out.