• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Possible Fallout 4 announcement tomorrow

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great point, but Morrowind also lets you pick from a host of different races and the class system to me is a huge part of the replayability of those games. You can play as an evil thief during one playthrough then as a chivalrous knight on the next. One of the biggest reasons why I hated Skyrim was because they allowed you to master every class on a single playthrough. What's the point of finding good loot if I can just craft the best weapons and armor? What's the point of playing through it again if I've experienced every class already?

Morrowind also had one of the best atmospheres in a video game I have ever experienced. The quests weren't tied to anything but the world was immersive (despite the graphics of the time). I remember going into a random dungeon in Morrowind and seeing/fighting a vampire for the first time and looting a single piece of ebony armor, a pauldron, and I felt a sense of discovery and adventure that I never felt in FO4.

I guess that's why they have different styles of entertainment. I've honestly never even finished Morrowind. Tried a few times. Couldn't get past the endless grinding. Bored out of my skull. Could not disagree more on 'immersive,' because there was nobody to interact with. You don't TALK to that vampire in Morrowind, he doesn't reveal any of his character or WHY you're trying to get that pauldron off him. It's just grinding.

Witcher 3 was what Morrowind wanted to be, but failed at miserably.

And I get replayability IF there's a reason to do so. If I couldn't get through the first playthrough because I was bored silly, why am I going to play again with a different alignment when alignments don't matter to how I interact with people anyway?

But I get that there's LOTS of people who enjoy the loot grinding aspect of games.

For me, the reason to do extra playthroughs in FO4, was to see how the choices I made effected the factions and the games finish.

Eventually once the mods have settled down for the console, I'll probably go back and try to do the ending where you can have the Brotherhood and the Railroad and the Minutemen ALL survive. I tried to do that on my second playthrough, but effed it up.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's why they have different styles of entertainment. I've honestly never even finished Morrowind. Tried a few times. Couldn't get past the endless grinding. Bored out of my skull. Could not disagree more on 'immersive,' because there was nobody to interact with. You don't TALK to that vampire in Morrowind, he doesn't reveal any of his character or WHY you're trying to get that pauldron off him. It's just grinding.

Witcher 3 was what Morrowind wanted to be, but failed at miserably.

And I get replayability IF there's a reason to do so. If I couldn't get through the first playthrough because I was bored silly, why am I going to play again with a different alignment when alignments don't matter to how I interact with people anyway?

But I get that there's LOTS of people who enjoy the loot grinding aspect of games.

For me, the reason to do extra playthroughs in FO4, was to see how the choices I made effected the factions and the games finish.

Eventually once the mods have settled down for the console, I'll probably go back and try to do the ending where you can have the Brotherhood and the Railroad and the Minutemen ALL survive. I tried to do that on my second playthrough, but effed it up.

Well, Morrowind did come out 14 years ago. No shame in that.

I find it much more immersive than FO4 where you are bombarded with micromanagement of faceless NPCs from the very start of the game. I also think a Vampire probably wouldn't have a conversation with it's food.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Morrowind did come out 14 years ago. No shame in that.

I find it much more immersive than FO4 where you are bombarded with micromanagement of faceless NPCs from the very start of the game. I also think a Vampire probably wouldn't have a conversation with it's food.

Sure, that's why I was real careful to say the part about people having totally different takes. (edit) Reading back, I didn't explain that too well, my bad, it sounded better in my head...

I respect your opinion, just don't agree. The long line of RPG's since Morrowind were trying to differing levels of success to make those NPC's not faceless. To try and engage the player in a story.

I mean let's be honest, no RPG ever on a computer can stack up against a live role playing game. They just try to fake that experience. Because most of us have busy lives and can't dedicate 9 hours of a Saturday to AD+D, like we could when we were 12. (insert your RPG of choice here)

Morrowind to me was more like a puzzle game, or a tactical/strategy game. And don't get me wrong, I've owned and played pretty much every variation of Civ, including 6, where I finally managed to win a game on King level. I've got over 100 hours into that, and yeah, just like your Pauldron from the Vampire story, you feel an immense feeling of satisfaction when you finally watch that cutscene when your near impossible to build wonder cutscene//animation plays.

But nope, can't agree. Of course a vampire talks to its food. They're vampires, that's what they do. They blather on in that East Euro accent, and if you're a hot chick, they play with you for hours before they finally drink... OR they make you a subject vampire so they can talk to you for all eternity.

A couple of the most memorable characters from Witcher 3 were vampires.

Anyway, good topic, I enjoy talking about it with you. Lots of old games that we LOOOOVED back in the day don't age well. A friend gave me a re-port of the original X-com that I played till sunup on my 386 back in the day, and I was soooo excited about it, until after about 20 minutes in....

bummed me out. :(

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, that's why I was real careful to say the part about people having totally different takes. (edit) Reading back, I didn't explain that too well, my bad, it sounded better in my head...

I respect your opinion, just don't agree. The long line of RPG's since Morrowind were trying to differing levels of success to make those NPC's not faceless. To try and engage the player in a story.

I mean let's be honest, no RPG ever on a computer can stack up against a live role playing game. They just try to fake that experience. Because most of us have busy lives and can't dedicate 9 hours of a Saturday to AD+D, like we could when we were 12. (insert your RPG of choice here)

Morrowind to me was more like a puzzle game, or a tactical/strategy game. And don't get me wrong, I've owned and played pretty much every variation of Civ, including 6, where I finally managed to win a game on King level. I've got over 100 hours into that, and yeah, just like your Pauldron from the Vampire story, you feel an immense feeling of satisfaction when you finally watch that cutscene when your near impossible to build wonder cutscene//animation plays.

But nope, can't agree. Of course a vampire talks to its food. They're vampires, that's what they do. They blather on in that East Euro accent, and if you're a hot chick, they play with you for hours before they finally drink... OR they make you a subject vampire so they can talk to you for all eternity.

Anyway, good topic, I enjoy talking about it with you. Lots of old games that we LOOOOVED back in the day don't age well. A friend gave me a re-port of the original X-com that I played till sunup on my 386 back in the day, and I was soooo excited about it, until after about 20 minutes in....

bummed me out.
:(

Nothing wrong with disagreement, it provides good conversation as long as both parties remain open-minded. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to gaming. I find platformers pretty boring for instance, yet there are still a ton of people who play Donkey Kong and Mario to this day.

Yes, Morrowind's combat relied solely on dice rolls, so I can see why you would consider it more of a tactical/strategy game.

Hmmm maybe there is something to this "Witcher 3" you speak of. I tried it out at a friend's house but never did pick it up for myself.

This conversation has actually inspired me to play Morrowind again and try out Daggerfall. It's probably due to the fact that a few capacitors blew out on my motherboard so I'm stuck playing on a toaster for a while, but still.

I had a similar experience when I went back and played Battlefront 2. God, that game seemed so much better when I was younger.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with disagreement, it provides good conversation as long as both parties remain open-minded. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to gaming. I find platformers pretty boring for instance, yet there are still a ton of people who play Donkey Kong and Mario to this day.

Yes, Morrowind's combat relied solely on dice rolls, so I can see why you would consider it more of a tactical/strategy game.

Hmmm maybe there is something to this "Witcher 3" you speak of. I tried it out at a friend's house but never did pick it up for myself.

This conversation has actually inspired me to play Morrowind again and try out Daggerfall. It's probably due to the fact that a few capacitors blew out on my motherboard so I'm stuck playing on a toaster for a while, but still.

I had a similar experience when I went back and played Battlefront 2. God, that game seemed so much better when I was younger.

I can't recommend Witcher 3 highly enough. Great game. And even the expanded edition should be cheap by now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't recommend Witcher 3 highly enough. Great game. And even the expanded edition should be cheap by now.
I picked it up on steam on Cyber Monday for about $30 IIRC. I haven't really played it much, yet, though. I probably will pick it up in a few weeks.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked it up on steam on Cyber Monday for about $30 IIRC. I haven't really played it much, yet, though. I probably will pick it up in a few weeks.

If you RACE though the game, you're getting it for about 30 cents/hour

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you RACE though the game, you're getting it for about 30 cents/hour
I have never heard anything bad about it. I am looking forward to getting into it. I gave only played about an hour or so, so far (basically just the tutorial).

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bummed me out. :(

Heheh, yeah I remember the immersive feeling I had playing Pool of Radiance or Auto Duel on the ole C64... In the last couple of years I've tried loading a C64 emulator and get back to playing the old classics that I loved... Let's just say you do end up underwhelmed... LOL!!

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never heard anything bad about it. I am looking forward to getting into it. I gave only played about an hour or so, so far (basically just the tutorial).

What's clever about the Witcher games is that they tend to suck people in early with the gratuitous nudity... In Witcher 2 you get to see Triss in all her glory in the first 5 minutes and in Witcher 3 I believe you get a nice shot of Yennifer.... LOL!!!

But seriously, I just started a second playthrough of W3 and am picking up a lot more from the story than I did the first time through... There is a LOT going on in this world and if you aren't familiar at all with this series, you may find yourself lost at times...

In fact, I have never spoken of a weakness in the Witcher series, but I guess if there is one that is it... Sometimes you find yourself pressured into making a choice, yet you may still be a little confused as to what the question was or the implications... Thing is that you figure out really quick (usually) what they were asking and oftentimes I found myself going back to a save or two earlier to either pay more attention or to make the choice that I would have made, now that I understand what they are asking...

Not sure that makes sense...

Anyway. Other recommendation is to learn Gwent. I didn't want to at first (I remember slogging through Dice Poker in Witcher 2 and didn't want to be caught up in another stupid sub-game), but after learning how to play, its really quite fun!!!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, a no to Gwent from me.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great point, but Morrowind also lets you pick from a host of different races and the class system to me is a huge part of the replayability of those games. You can play as an evil thief during one playthrough then as a chivalrous knight on the next. One of the biggest reasons why I hated Skyrim was because they allowed you to master every class on a single playthrough. What's the point of finding good loot if I can just craft the best weapons and armor? What's the point of playing through it again if I've experienced every class already?

Yes I do remember it was very possible to play many different types of characters. It was a great game for that.

Morrowind also had one of the best atmospheres in a video game I have ever experienced. The quests weren't tied to anything but the world was immersive (despite the graphics of the time). I remember going into a random dungeon in Morrowind and seeing/fighting a vampire for the first time and looting a single piece of ebony armor, a pauldron, and I felt a sense of discovery and adventure that I never felt in FO4.

It was super, super easy to get lost in the dust storms and miss your target dungeon by 50 feet and end up in another dungeon. That was good and bad. It certainly made the game unpredictable but also very frustrating

Morrowwind was pretty unpolished and so hard because of that. The interactions with most NPC's was pretty canned and became boring and I stopped talking to them unless it was something needed.

The game was extremely hard because of that lack of polish. Many of the clues were completely obscure. There is no way I ever, ever, would have finished the game if I didn't have one of those walkthrough guides for $20. (which were great btw. It showed how immense that world was)

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I do remember it was very possible to play many different types of characters. It was a great game for that.

It was super, super easy to get lost in the dust storms and miss your target dungeon by 50 feet and end up in another dungeon. That was good and bad. It certainly made the game unpredictable but also very frustrating

Morrowwind was pretty unpolished and so hard because of that. The interactions with most NPC's was pretty canned and became boring and I stopped talking to them unless it was something needed.

The game was extremely hard because of that lack of polish. Many of the clues were completely obscure. There is no way I ever, ever, would have finished the game if I didn't have one of those walkthrough guides for $20. (which were great btw. It showed how immense that world was)

Yeah, I actually enjoyed that. A bit more immersive for NPCs to give you those type of directions. "Go north until you reach a fork in the road then continue east until you find a river". Although modern games get around it by having the NPC "mark it" on your map.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I actually enjoyed that. A bit more immersive for NPCs to give you those type of directions. "Go north until you reach a fork in the road then continue east until you find a river". Although modern games get around it by having the NPC "mark it" on your map.

I know what you mean, markers on a map make it too easy (although you still have to get there and often it's not a straight line). Besides Morrowind didn't even save the comment for you so you had to write it down right away. "Wait a minute, what did he say? Turn left or turn right"

Even then it was still reaaall easy to miss an entrance to a cave (basically the size of a small door) and wander aimlessly around the wasteland looking for that fork in the road. I did it too many times the first few games..

Swords

Big Time Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok I tried survivor mode?

Early bitch report
1. You should be able to save like Red Dead Redemption, anywhere on the map not just where there are beds.

2. Spray paint should be available. After you "clear" an area, house, building etc,... you should be able to mark it with paint like this

upload_2017-1-4_12-2-4.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-4_12-1-30.jpeg
    upload_2017-1-4_12-1-30.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 2

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok I tried survivor mode?

Early bitch report
1. You should be able to save like Red Dead Redemption, anywhere on the map not just where there are beds.

2. Spray paint should be available. After you "clear" an area, house, building etc,... you should be able to mark it with paint like this

View attachment 153336
I believe that the save aspect has been addressed. You can leave the game at any time and there is a temp save file created for continuing purposes. Once you log back into the game, though, the file is deleted so it is not used as a "save point".

If you are talking about wanting a save point, that is one of the things that makes survival a bitch to play. The main reason I don't play it is because fast travel is disabled.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the "spray paint" point is yuge. I have been calling for something like that since the days of Morrowwind.

Swords

Big Time Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that the save aspect has been addressed. You can leave the game at any time and there is a temp save file created for continuing purposes. Once you log back into the game, though, the file is deleted so it is not used as a "save point".

If you are talking about wanting a save point, that is one of the things that makes survival a bitch to play. The main reason I don't play it is because fast travel is disabled.

No fast travel and the need for water and food is what got me hooked. It would just be nice to pull up a camp fire and sleep/rest/save but I get what you are saying.