• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POSITIONAL ANALYSIS: Quarterbacks 2010

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just has to throw it 40 yards in the air and beat the defender to the corner...

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this ACC coverage of LT on youtube and thought I would share. Pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this ACC coverage of LT on youtube and thought I would share. Pretty cool.

nice find. got Phil Steele's mag the other day....getting excited for the season!

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that phrase "converted tight end". He played QB in high school. He might have been recruited as a TE, but the guy is a QB. Plain and simple.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah but even Logan Thomas thought he was going to play TE.

Right up until his first day of practice. :D

I wonder when the coaching staff decided they were going to give LT a shot at QB? Had to have been sometime before LT arrived at Tech, don't you think?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Right up until his first day of practice. :D

I wonder when the coaching staff decided they were going to give LT a shot at QB? Had to have been sometime before LT arrived at Tech, don't you think?

I may be remembering this wrong, but i think O'cain was watching him do some drills and asked if he could have him with the QB's (basically just as an experiment)for a little while, LT did well and the position stuck. Also if i remember correctly LT wasnt exactly thrilled about being moved to QB, but the coaches really wanted him to give it a shot.

Got to wonder if we had landed Newsome or one of the other QB misses, if LT would have played TE. Honestly i wasnt to thrilled about him playing TE at first, but am in love with the idea now.

Side note: i have to agree that the term "converted te" doesnt fit. if he would have played TE he would have been a converted QB but i dont view him as a converted TE.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I second all the above comments...

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note: i have to agree that the term "converted te" doesnt fit. if he would have played TE he would have been a converted QB but i dont view him as a converted TE.
But he was a TE/Receiver in high school before he was Quarterback.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

he played WR his soph and fr year of hs. Im not sure that he's ever played TE, hell he didnt even play TE in the AAAg. Not that it really matters but i dont see how you call a guy that never played TE, a converted TE.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be remembering this wrong, but i think O'cain was watching him do some drills and asked if he could have him with the QB's (basically just as an experiment)for a little while, LT did well and the position stuck. Also if i remember correctly LT wasnt exactly thrilled about being moved to QB, but the coaches really wanted him to give it a shot.

Got to wonder if we had landed Newsome or one of the other QB misses, if LT would have played TE. Honestly i wasnt to thrilled about him playing TE at first, but am in love with the idea now.

Maybe I misunderstood the comment above hunz. Although I think LT would have been a great fit at TE (super athletic for a guy his size), I think he gives us the best shot to win at QB. Frankly I haven't seen much of the other QB's except for JuJu Clayton, but if the coaches were that confident in Leal or Young, then they would be getting the nod. I have had a great time watching the TT, MV, BR QB's over the last 10-15 years, but I think that era may be over at VT. The blend of size, speed, and power has been a successful formula for some winning programs over the last few years and I think we should give it a try (see Tebow, Newton, Pryor, etc.). Not saying we couldn't win the ultimate with a TT type QB, but with the lack of line play, lack of huge big time recruits, over recent years. I think we need to try something new and try to transition back to a pro-type QB. I am with you though, I think he could certainly be the #1 TE in the NFL Draft if given a few years there...he could be that good at that position.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

LT never played TE in high school. He played WR early, followed by two years of playing QB.

The recruiting services projected him as a TE, even though he had never played the position.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe I misunderstood the comment above hunz. Although I think LT would have been a great fit at TE (super athletic for a guy his size), I think he gives us the best shot to win at QB. Frankly I haven't seen much of the other QB's except for JuJu Clayton, but if the coaches were that confident in Leal or Young, then they would be getting the nod. I have had a great time watching the TT, MV, BR QB's over the last 10-15 years, but I think that era may be over at VT. The blend of size, speed, and power has been a successful formula for some winning programs over the last few years and I think we should give it a try (see Tebow, Newton, Pryor, etc.). Not saying we couldn't win the ultimate with a TT type QB, but with the lack of line play, lack of huge big time recruits, over recent years. I think we need to try something new and try to transition back to a pro-type QB. I am with you though, I think he could certainly be the #1 TE in the NFL Draft if given a few years there...he could be that good at that position.

Oh no i totally agree, i love the idea of LT playing QB. I was just saying that if we had landed one or two of the guys we missed on, he may have never been given the chance. Basically saying that although missing Newsome etc may have seemed bad at the time, it actually played in our favor.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh no i totally agree, i love the idea of LT playing QB. I was just saying that if we had landed one or two of the guys we missed on, he may have never been given the chance. Basically saying that although missing Newsome etc may have seemed bad at the time, it actually played in our favor.

Newsome's still battling for playing time at PSU. Here's their QB current depth chart:

1 Rob Bolden | 6-4, 211, So., 1V
11 Matt McGloin | 6-1, 209, Sr., 2V
12 Kevin Newsome | 6-2, 231, Jr., 2V
13 Paul Jones | 6-3, 245, So., RS

Additionally, McGloin was a walkon who earned a scholie and was PSU's starter for a few games.

Just my opinion, but even if Newsome had decided to come to Tech, he may not have started at QB. Backer, Whip, or Rover, but not QB.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm with you hunz, and that is probably true. What ever happened with Newsome? Wasn't he thinking about transferring from Penn State? Guess he never did. I believe we were recruiting Boyd pretty hard that year as well. Think he may get his shot this year at Clemson.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Coney going to Cincy, I thought I would post a current QB depth chart:

ON THE FALL 2011 ROSTER:
------------------------
Ju-Ju Clayton r-Jr.
Logan Thomas r-So.
Mark Leal r-Fr.
Ricardo Young r-Fr.
Trey Gresh r-Fr. (walkon)
*Brian Rody Fr. (walkon)

FUTURE ARRIVALS:
----------------
#Chris Hall Arrives Jan 2012
Brenden Motley Arrives Fall 2012

NOTES:
--------
*Based on his film and various write-ups, Rody is a very talented QB. I really don't understand why he didn't get a big-time scholarship. O'Cain will have a lot of time to turn this kid into a very good FBS QB.

# With all of the other TEs on the current roster, and those arriving later, I'm not convinced Hall is going to be a TE. His last set of film seemed to show a much-improved passer with very good running skills. Like Rody above, O'Cain will have a lot of time to polish Hall's skills, if he ends up being moved to QB after he arrives.

One final comment, Young and Leal will be in a good position this Fall to give Clayton some real competition for the back-up spot. That will be an interesting battle to watch.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I honestly look for Young to pass Juju on the depth chart at some point.