• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POSITIONAL ANALYSIS: Quarterbacks 2010

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(The analysis does not include incoming players, but stuff on those guys will be added once ink is put on the letters of intent in February and we see where they get slotted in the Spring)

QUARTERBACK:

This year’s depth chart:
#5 Tyrod Taylor Sr. 6’1”, 210lbs (yeah right)
#3 Logan Thomas rFr. 6’6” 242lbs.
#12 JuJu Clayton rSo. 6’1” 220lbs.

Next Year’s Projected Depth Chart:
#3 Logan Thomas rSo. 6’6” 242lbs.
#12 JuJu Clayton rJr. 6’1” 220lbs.
### Ricardo Young rFr. 6’0” 160lbs
(Also on roster)
Trey Gresh rFr. 6’0” 200lbs.
Mark Leal rFr. 6’0” 199lbs.

As we all know, Tyrod Taylor will be playing his final game as a Hokie on January 3, 2011, in the Fed Ex Orange Bowl. Clearly, we will miss his presence, not only on the field but in the locker room. I am of the belief that he is not only the best quarterback to ever play for the Hokies, but he may have been the best player to ever play. He will finish with 3 conference titles, 3 Orange Bowl appearances, at least 2 bowl victories, 2 ACC Championship MVP trophies, an ACC Player of the Year and ACC Offensive Player of the Year Award. He also has the Tech record for victories, passing yards, rushing yards, passing touchdowns and rushing touchdowns. He was all he was cracked up to be. We WILL miss him greatly.

Next in line for the Hokies is super-athlete Logan Thomas. Thomas was the 71st rated player in the 2009 recruiting class, and the number 2 tight end in the nation, according to Rivals. He played quarterback his Senior year of High School and competed for and moved into that position while at Tech. he redshirted his freshman season and played a limited role this past season. His most impactful play was the long third down completion, under heavy pressure against Miami to keep a drive alive at a critical point in the game when Taylor had to leave after being blown up. He is big….very big…very very big and he has wheels. He also is no easy to bring down. Although, I have said before that I opposed his move to quarterback, the coaches love him and I have seen nothing to make me not believe he has a good chance to succeed. He has a veteran corps of receivers returning, an almost fully intact offensive line and at least one stud running back. A vanilla beginning to the schedule will give him a chance to get in his groove and hopefully he will gain the confidence he needs. He is a heady, coachable guy and has all of the physical attributes to be a star. In limited action this year, he was 12-26, for 107 yards.

50446_Duke_Virginia_Tech_Football_large.jpg

Logan Thomas

Backing up Thomas will likely be JuJu Clayton, who held the backup role in 2009 and the third string role in 2010. He will get a chance to compete for the starting position, but Thomas has a significant edge in playing time and pure athletic prowess. He may never get a chance to start at Hokie but he has been a big help to Thomas in his development and has become a newer version of Cory Holt, if you will. Some rumors have been around that he may be looking to play, and a transfer is potentially in play for him, but I have not seen any hard evidence of that. He is solid and knows the system and can be serviceable in an emergency.

s

JuJu Clayton

Next in line are two redshirt Freshman from the 2010 recruiting class. First is Ricardo Young. Young was an early enrollee last season and went through Spring drills with the team which gives him a bit of a head start. His major issue is his size. He is quick footed and good at running the ball, but even after a year with the SC guys, he is still only around 170 pounds. He throws a good ball, and can move the pocket, but he needs to add a bit more bulk if he is going to be durable in College. The other redshirt Freshman is Mark Leal. Leal is a bit more of a pocket passer but still provides the threat to run. He is also a bit more solidly built, checking in close to 200 pounds. He is reportedly very coachable and has picked up the system well. He competed in the highest level of HS ball in Florida so he can play with athletes. One of these two guys should emerge this season as a potential backup plan, or future guy for the Hokies. Young may be the more versatile quarterback, but Leal has the better and quicker arm to this point.

20071118_131450_ricardo1.jpg

Ricardo Young

n782115134_2182531_3541987.jpg

Mark Leal

Trey Gresh is a walk-on quarterback for the Hokies who is not likely to get a look at making it into the rotation but provides depth and knowledge to the other guys.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That third and long pass that Thomas threw against miami certainly has me feeling more comfortable about the position next year. I was disappointed when they didn't have him throwing at all while wrapping up the uva game. I understand that they just wanted to get the game over, but I was very interested in seeing him throw the ball a bit.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an article on TSL yesterday from a Miami paper that stated they open with us on Labor Day. I know we are supposed to play Appy St. the Saturday before Labor Day, and I hope that is the case, and that Weaver doesn't change it again. I don't want Logan getting his first start against Miami. I'd rather he at least get in a couple of tomato cans before he gets thrown into the fire, although that was a nice pass he threw against the Canes this year.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good write up...first thing i noticed, even before reading your section about ricardo young...was his arms...his biceps are about as big around as my wrist...hope he continues to pack on some pounds

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an article on TSL yesterday from a Miami paper that stated they open with us on Labor Day. I know we are supposed to play Appy St. the Saturday before Labor Day, and I hope that is the case, and that Weaver doesn't change it again. I don't want Logan getting his first start against Miami. I'd rather he at least get in a couple of tomato cans before he gets thrown into the fire, although that was a nice pass he threw against the Canes this year.

:L:L:L:L

Jim "fucking" Weaver......

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sure how much control VT has with ACC scheduling. I know UM-FSU didn't want to open their series again on Labor Day, which is why we were picked with Boise for that game, but the pressure from the ACC might be too much for us to deny it. Plus I'm sure ESPN would throw alot of money at us again. But we'll see...

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
speaking of LT being big, having wheels, and being hard to bring down...just for comparison...so you get a good idea of his size:

Logan Thomas: 6'6'' 242lbs R. freshman
Cam Newton: 6'6'' 250lbs Junior

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
speaking of LT being big, having wheels, and being hard to bring down...just for comparison...so you get a good idea of his size:

Logan Thomas: 6'6'' 242lbs R. freshman
Cam Newton: 6'6'' 250lbs Junior

Yeah but Newton has a much higher annual salary (to be fair).

(Sorry i hit edit first instead of quote, I am getting used to this whole moderator thing)

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but Newton has a much higher annual salary (to be fair).

(Sorry i hit edit first instead of quote, I am getting used to this whole moderator thing)

I like Thomas' chance at success. Like you guys said he was originally recruited as an ATH/TE but showed so much promise at Qb, we have to give him a go at it. With the return of most of VT's OL and a veteran WR corps, a good running game, coupled with bowl practices, most all of the reps in the Spring and Summer practices I think he has a very good odds of success this year. His raw athleticism alone could turn out to make him someone special like Cam Newton/Terrell Pryor. Plus they say he has a NFL caliber arm and good feet/speed to go with it. I don't see anyone even challenging him for the starting spot. But,
I am not sure the Marquise Williams story is over yet. Scouts.com is reporting he will make a final announcement on Christmas Day. I am a bit confused as to why he would even need to make an announcement unless..
1) He just wants to re-affirm his commitment UNC, and get some spotlight time (still don't really make sense)
2) He will go somewhere other than UNC
I guess we shall see....

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post. I sent this to my Hokie friends as soon as I read it.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I cant wait to see what Logans got. No disrespect towards tyrod, but im excited as hell about having an athletic QB who can see the field. I think the mix between size and athleticism will be great in our offense. I think tyrod scrambled out of the pocket a lot because he couldnt see over the line, @ 6'6" logan should be able to stand in there or athletic enough to scramble if he has to. I know we also ran a lot of roll out plays to help tyrod find throwing lanes. Great strategy (if necessary) but it eliminates some routes from the passing tree. I dont mean this to trash tyrod just to say that im excited about LT.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant wait to see what Logans got. No disrespect towards tyrod, but im excited as hell about having an athletic QB who can see the field. I think the mix between size and athleticism will be great in our offense. I think tyrod scrambled out of the pocket a lot because he couldnt see over the line, @ 6'6" logan should be able to stand in there or athletic enough to scramble if he has to. I know we also ran a lot of roll out plays to help tyrod find throwing lanes. Great strategy (if necessary) but it eliminates some routes from the passing tree. I dont mean this to trash tyrod just to say that im excited about LT.

I'm with you hunzworth. I am curious, IF Logan Thomas turns turns into the player we think he could be, could we expect VT to start trying to recruit bigger quarterbacks more in this mold (say Bucky Hodges, class of '03). At least when they are available. I know the smaller, more elusive, shake n' bake, kind of quarterbacks has been VT's bread and butter for a number of years (TT, MV, BR) but I think it is obvious that these bigger guys that can move, bring a different element to the game-see Cam Newton and T. Pryor. I know there aren't a ton of these guys out here that can bring the size and athleticism to the table. I just think, looking at the roster outside of Thomas, there doesn't seem to be anyone there that has the potential to be a real steal of a QB, that can even really give LT a run for their money (maybe, MAYBE Leal, he seems more like a Bryan Randall type than a TT, Mike Vick type).

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
To be honest i was totally against Logan playing qb when it was first mentioned, but now (like you said) looking at the depth chart im glad we did.
BTW: We've been on Hodges for a while now and i have a feeling that the way LT turns out may have a big impact on his recruitment. Only prob with hodges is that with the hype already surrounding him, by the time he's a senior he will have an offer from everyone imaginable.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tweet from Kyle Tucker:

"kyletuckerVP
#Hokies QB Logan Thomas told Beamerball.com, the coach's website, that he's STILL GROWING -- nearing 6-foot-7, now 257 pounds. Uh ..."

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you hunzworth. I am curious, IF Logan Thomas turns turns into the player we think he could be, could we expect VT to start trying to recruit bigger quarterbacks more in this mold (say Bucky Hodges, class of '03). At least when they are available. I know the smaller, more elusive, shake n' bake, kind of quarterbacks has been VT's bread and butter for a number of years (TT, MV, BR) but I think it is obvious that these bigger guys that can move, bring a different element to the game-see Cam Newton and T. Pryor. I know there aren't a ton of these guys out here that can bring the size and athleticism to the table. I just think, looking at the roster outside of Thomas, there doesn't seem to be anyone there that has the potential to be a real steal of a QB, that can even really give LT a run for their money (maybe, MAYBE Leal, he seems more like a Bryan Randall type than a TT, Mike Vick type).

6 month follow up on this post but Leal looked good in the spring. I would be happy with another Bryan Randall type or like a Leftwich who is athletic to make 1 move and get rid of it. I am also super excited to watch Logan play. His arm strength is unbelievable. I just hope he can hone in the howitzer and hit his guy. I will miss Tyrod's amazing escapes but LT may not need to escape if the OL holds up