• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Poll} The Greatest Defensive Player In History ?...

Your Choice ...

• Lawrence Taylor

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Reggie White

Votes: 23 23.5%
  • Dick Butkis

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Ronnie Lott

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Ray Lewis

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Deion Sanders

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Bruce Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deacon Jones

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Joe Greene

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Rod Woodson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Singletary

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Potato Salid

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a very short answer...LT

LT HAD to be moved around to be effective, some will remember he'd been neutralized with chip blocking before being hidden in various ways.
Reggie White dominated from one position with every DC scheming to stop him. RW was the greatest defensive player ever.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT HAD to be moved around to be effective, some will remember he'd been neutralized with chip blocking before being hidden in various ways.
Reggie White dominated from one position with every DC scheming to stop him. RW was the greatest defensive player ever.
Absolutely wrong on LT and chip blocking neutralizing him. What they started to do was run right at him to cut down on his ability to run plays down from behind. Also wrong on Reggie White. What made him most amazing IMO was that he played more than one position and played it at a HOF level.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely wrong on LT and chip blocking neutralizing him. What they started to do was run right at him to cut down on his ability to run plays down from behind. Also wrong on Reggie White. What made him most amazing IMO was that he played more than one position and played it at a HOF level.
i enjoyed his 1998 speech the most. "god made asians good at math. he also gave them the ability to put a tiny calculator in a watch. also, god hates fags"

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i enjoyed his 1998 speech the most. "god made asians good at math. he also gave them the ability to put a tiny calculator in a watch. also, god hates fags"
And LT was found one too many times on the side of the GSP covered in vomit and sound asleep with his car running. But on Sundays...

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And LT was found one too many times on the side of the GSP covered in vomit and sound asleep with his car running. But on Sundays...
LT did coke on the bench. he had tacklin' fuel.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, I got it right. LT was very frustrated by opposing defenses being able to put a man on him then have a second defender move him laterally by chipping his shoulder.
White lined up and came at you, he wasn't hard to spot. There was nothing tricky about him, he just dominated.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough one to call as the best almost always had other great players on their teams. In the end, I had to go with LT...just changed too many games.

I believe this question is a bit unfair too. Some of these guys played very specific roles in the systems they played in, so it's pretty tough to gauge how they would have played in other systems or roles. That's probably the reason I went with LT, he played whatever was asked of him from his spot and did them all excellently.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough one to call as the best almost always had other great players on their teams. In the end, I had to go with LT...just changed too many games.

I believe this question is a bit unfair too. Some of these guys played very specific roles in the systems they played in, so it's pretty tough to gauge how they would have played in other systems or roles. That's probably the reason I went with LT, he played whatever was asked of him from his spot and did them all excellently.
yup. kevin greene was a better pure pass rusher than LT or white. he was the best pure rusher i ever saw. from 88-99 he had TWO seasons where he didnt get at least 10 sacks. one was the year the rams changed schemes, one he got 9 sacks.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup. kevin greene was a better pure pass rusher than LT or white. he was the best pure rusher i ever saw. from 88-99 he had TWO seasons where he didnt get at least 10 sacks. one was the year the rams changed schemes, one he got 9 sacks.

If White, Bruce Smith and LT had just specialized in rushing the passer they all could have had 300 sacks in my opinion. They were complete players, especially White and Smith, both set the edge and virtually eliminated running outside on their side of the LOS.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really, The Giants ''Taylored'' their defense around LT, they literally designed their defenses for him.
White really could have been dropped into any defense in history and dominated. He needed zero scheming.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of interesting notes.
The top 4 career leaders in sacks all came into The NFL in 1985, Bruce Smith, Chris Doleman and Kevin Greene via the draft, Reggie White from The USFL where he played 2 seasons. White had 198 sacks to Smith's 200 with around 40 fewer games, if he'd played those first 2 seasons in The NFL he would have likely had 230 or so.
White had 400 more tackles than Greene in roughly the same number of games played, he was the whole package.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the All Time Leader in INT and when did he play?
NFL All-Time Interceptions Leaders - National Football League - ESPN
You notice how many Old Player are on that List. So NO CB should have ever made the Hall of Fame for the past 20 years as they could not even pass OLD CB who played in the OLD Era.

I guess Dick Lane would have had 130 INTs had he played when Deion Did...

Also he played when there were 26 or 28 teams, Brooks played all but one year with 30, 31, and 32 Teams. Lets not alos gloss over the fact there was about 1,000,000x more Offensive Talent in Brooks day that Hams. In Hams day the best players were put in Defense, in Brooks day the best player were on Offense.

All Pro Selections
Brooks = 9
Ham = 8

Pro Bowl
Brooks = 11
Ham = 8

A lot of nonsense here, but I'll just offer two facts:

Jack Ham has 6 First Team All Pro selections by the Associated Press - the organization most recognized at the forefront of the selections. Derrick Brooks has 5 First Team All Pro selections. Secondly...it's all moot anyways. It is your claim that considering Jack Ham a superior player to Derrick Brooks, given their respective similar responsibilities, is 'ludicrous.'

The fact that Ham earned those All Pro/DPOY/All NFL decade/All time 75th anniversary team awards clearly proves the ony thing ludicrous, was your initial response.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a two horse race and neither answer is wrong

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing on Reggie White is he dominated everybody except the Larry Allen... crap, who was that awesome tackle of theres? Philly boy too (I've been awful with names lately)
I saw Reggie throw Allen like a rag doll as a rookie and Allen came back year 2 and gave Reggie fits
The tackle was Eric something... Come on Cowboy fans. Help me out. Oh, Eric Williams???

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm higher on Prime Time than most. That 1st year with San Fran and they interviewed him before his return game to Atlanta and he talked sooooooo much crap about Atlanta being "his stadium" etc etc and then to back it up with a 90 yard pick 6 running down Atlanta sideline pointing at them the whole time. It was magical.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of nonsense here, but I'll just offer two facts:

Jack Ham has 6 First Team All Pro selections by the Associated Press - the organization most recognized at the forefront of the selections. Derrick Brooks has 5 First Team All Pro selections. Secondly...it's all moot anyways. It is your claim that considering Jack Ham a superior player to Derrick Brooks, given their respective similar responsibilities, is 'ludicrous.'

The fact that Ham earned those All Pro/DPOY/All NFL decade/All time 75th anniversary team awards clearly proves the ony thing ludicrous, was your initial response.
First Off I said Delusional to think Ham was better than Brooks.

Nonsense like, players who played prior to 1982 had a MUCH easier time picking off passes? As Proven by the All Time NFL INT leaders list? Maybe the QB he played against Sucked BALLS. In Fact do you really want to compare the QB Ham played against to the ones Brooks did?

Quick Name a QB who played for the Oilers, Browns and Bengals in the 1970s...
How about the Bills, Jets, Colts, Broncos, Chiefs

Ham played during the WORST ERA OF QBs in NFL History.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing on Reggie White is he dominated everybody except the Larry Allen... crap, who was that awesome tackle of theres? Philly boy too (I've been awful with names lately)
I saw Reggie throw Allen like a rag doll as a rookie and Allen came back year 2 and gave Reggie fits
The tackle was Eric something... Come on Cowboy fans. Help me out. Oh, Eric Williams???

Erik Williams. A mauler.

I'd have liked White a lot more if he wasn't so religious.....