• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Format

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm working a proposal, I'll try to get it done today. Should be cool, there will be some playoff play-in games.
so how is that proposal coming along?

well-were-waiting-16036724.png

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These things take time...like a middle aged Ukrainian hooker putting her makeup on before the start of her work day, these things take time.
be honest...you work for the gov't, don't ya?

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rhetorical question: Does the President 'work for the government'?

:scratch:
When I was young and naïve I'd have answered yes
When I got a bit older and a lot more cynical, I'd have answered no
now, I'll just answer it doesn't really matter to me anymore...I'll probably be dead soon anyway :D

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a proposal that makes it fair for both American teams and Canadian teams in terms of Cup chances, but makes it more difficult for the American teams (and rightly so, since the Cup belonged to Canada first).

I have proposed a realignment of the existing teams into 5 conferences as follows:

Canadian Conference:
Calgary
Edmonton
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Northeast Conference:
Boston
Buffalo
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

Midwest Conference:
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Minnesota
St. Louis
(Expansion: Kansas City or Milwaukee)

Southern Conference:
Carolina
Dallas
Florida
Nashville
Tampa Bay
Washington

Western Conference:
Anaheim
Arizona
Colorado
Los Angeles
San Jose
Vegas
(Expansion: Seattle)

The top 4 teams in each conference qualify for the playoffs. The American-based conferences go through 2 preliminary rounds, all held within the conference. The 4 conference champions from America are then seeded 1-4 for a national semifinals that take place just as the Canadian teams begin their semifinals. Ultimately, the American champion and Canadian champion meet in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Other benefits of this alignment include the separation of Pittsburgh and Washington, making it harder for those two to meet in the postseason (usually when they meet Pittsburgh's always beating the Caps), and making it easier to justify keeping Ovechkin in Washington. We also have the chance to have the popular and heated Dallas-Washington NFL rivalry spill into hockey. So yeah, I think it's time for the NHL to move on from the Crosby-Ovechkin rivalry, there are plenty other player rivalries to promote.

Last edited:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Not really fair for Canadian division to be 3,000 miles and three times zones wide,
while US divisions have much less travel.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a proposal that makes it fair for both American teams and Canadian teams in terms of Cup chances, but makes it more difficult for the American teams (and rightly so, since the Cup belonged to Canada first).

I have proposed a realignment of the existing teams into 5 conferences as follows:

Canadian Conference:
Calgary
Edmonton
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Vancouver
Winnipeg

Northeast Conference:
Boston
Buffalo
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

Midwest Conference:
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Minnesota
St. Louis
(Expansion: Kansas City or Milwaukee)

Southern Conference:
Carolina
Dallas
Florida
Nashville
Tampa Bay
Washington

Western Conference:
Anaheim
Arizona
Colorado
Los Angeles
San Jose
Vegas
(Expansion: Seattle)

The top 4 teams in each conference qualify for the playoffs. The American-based conferences go through 2 preliminary rounds, all held within the conference. The 4 conference champions from America are then seeded 1-4 for a national semifinals that take place just as the Canadian teams begin their semifinals. Ultimately, the American champion and Canadian champion meet in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Other benefits of this alignment include the separation of Pittsburgh and Washington, making it harder for those two to meet in the postseason (usually when they meet Pittsburgh's always beating the Caps), and making it easier to justify keeping Ovechkin in Washington. We also have the chance to have the popular and heated Dallas-Washington NFL rivalry spill into hockey. So yeah, I think it's time for the NHL to move on from the Crosby-Ovechkin rivalry, there are plenty other player rivalries to promote.

Congratulations. This is the first suggested rule change that is dumber than a Win in the Bank.

So Canadian teams have a 1 in 7 chance of going to Finals. The US teams have a 1 in 25 chance. The Canadian teams also won't be able to earn much in playoff revenue as only 2 teams have the possibility of playing in more than one round. Not to mention some conferences have 5 teams and others have 7.

Maybe I'm being too harsh... everyone knows 5 divisions and conferences is the best format when you have to evenly split them for the playoffs. It's why all the leagues do it and time for the NHL to get on board.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations. This is the first suggested rule change that is dumber than a Win in the Bank.

So Canadian teams have a 1 in 7 chance of going to Finals. The US teams have a 1 in 25 chance. The Canadian teams also won't be able to earn much in playoff revenue as only 2 teams have the possibility of playing in more than one round. Not to mention some conferences have 5 teams and others have 7.

Maybe I'm being too harsh... everyone knows 5 divisions and conferences is the best format when you have to evenly split them for the playoffs. It's why all the leagues do it and time for the NHL to get on board.

So you don't appreciate a format that makes it harder for your Caps to face - and lose to - the Pens? I want the Caps to win a Cup too as much as anybody in Washington. But at this point, the Crosby-Ovechkin factor is more detrimental to the league than it is beneficiary, considering Crosby has won the Cup three teams (beating Ovechkin on the way each time). Ovechkin has never beaten Crosby when it matters - not just in the NHL, but in Russia VS. Canada matchups too. As I said before, time to move on from Crosby VS. Ovechkin.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really fair for Canadian division to be 3,000 miles and three times zones wide,
while US divisions have much less travel.

Maybe they will build a NHL maglev (magical levitation) between the Canadian cites?

Too much Crosby/Ovechkin!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eloco being a forum pigeon yet again.

:D

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Elocomotive can go f himself. Mocking a good idea for no reason at all.....

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't appreciate a format that makes it harder for your Caps to face - and lose to - the Pens? I want the Caps to win a Cup too as much as anybody in Washington. But at this point, the Crosby-Ovechkin factor is more detrimental to the league than it is beneficiary, considering Crosby has won the Cup three teams (beating Ovechkin on the way each time). Ovechkin has never beaten Crosby when it matters - not just in the NHL, but in Russia VS. Canada matchups too. As I said before, time to move on from Crosby VS. Ovechkin.

(1) The Caps wouldn't have better odds to make the playoffs in your scenario, thus diminishing their chances to win the Cup.
(2) They could STILL face the Pens in the playoffs in your scenario, which frankly I enjoy, but if you want to avoid that as you've stated, your system doesn't do that.
(3) The Crosby-Ovechkin marketing has not been a significant thing for several years now. Although I'm uncertain why you think the marketing your best stars approach (when they were in their prime) is "detrimental to the league" given that approach works in every sport. Also, the salary cap has nearly doubled in just 12 years, so the league seems to be doing alright. The success of the marketing is not determined by the balance of Cups won by one star over another, but whether it gets people watching and buying.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1) The Caps wouldn't have better odds to make the playoffs in your scenario, thus diminishing their chances to win the Cup.
(2) They could STILL face the Pens in the playoffs in your scenario, which frankly I enjoy, but if you want to avoid that as you've stated, your system doesn't do that.
(3) The Crosby-Ovechkin marketing has not been a significant thing for several years now. Although I'm uncertain why you think the marketing your best stars approach (when they were in their prime) is "detrimental to the league" given that approach works in every sport. Also, the salary cap has nearly doubled in just 12 years, so the league seems to be doing alright. The success of the marketing is not determined by the balance of Cups won by one star over another, but whether it gets people watching and buying.

1. Under this format playoffs are primarily conducted within the conference. And Washington in this format has some pretty weak conference rivals (aside from Nashville). So Washington really has good odds of making the playoffs.

2. It's possible, but again, much less likely.

3. Crosby has become the most hated player in the league, while many have had a lot of sympathy for Ovechkin because of his inability to win a Cup. There are even people who want him traded out of the East so that under the current format, the only way he faces Crosby is in the Cup Finals.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Under this format playoffs are primarily conducted within the conference. And Washington in this format has some pretty weak conference rivals (aside from Nashville). So Washington really has good odds of making the playoffs.

I misunderstood the qualifiers for the playoffs - 4 from each conference. Yes, they do have similary odds to make the playoffs. You're right.

But the American teams have to win 4 rounds to make the Finals. The Canadian teams have to win 2. That's not better odds for the American teams (including Washington) in the end.

Not to mention the playoff winner of Conference Canada will have to wait 3-4 weeks before the Stanley Cup Finals begin.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misunderstood the qualifiers for the playoffs - 4 from each conference. Yes, they do have similary odds to make the playoffs. You're right.

But the American teams have to win 4 rounds to make the Finals. The Canadian teams have to win 2. That's not better odds for the American teams (including Washington) in the end.

Not to mention the playoff winner of Conference Canada will have to wait 3-4 weeks before the Stanley Cup Finals begin.

Actually I had planned for the Canadian teams to begin their playoffs when there were 4 American teams left

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I had planned for the Canadian teams to begin their playoffs when there were 4 American teams left

So the Canadian teams all get a month to rest up and recooperate before starting the playoffs while the American teams all have to continue to slog.

Canadian teams
1 in 7 chance of being in the Finals
Long rest period before playoffs start
Only have to win 2 rounds to make the Finals

American teams
1 in 25 chance of being in the Finals
No rest period
Have to win 4 rounds to make the Finals

I don't think you've thought this all the way through.

...Donald?