• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A "Victory in the Bank" - A Radical New Playoff Idea

WordsOfWisdumb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I call this the "Victory in the Bank" system.

It works as follows:

The team that finishes first in each conference gets an automatic win that they can apply in the playoffs.

RULES:

The automatic win would have to be applied at the beginning of a series, not halfway through. (ie: Phone call to Gary Bettman prior to the start of the series. "Yes, we're using it." or "No, we're saving it." Click.

Teams that decide to save their automatic win for a later round take a tremendous risk in doing so (because they might be eliminated), but the rewards are greater if they can use it against a tougher opponent later.

The 2-2-1-1-1 playoff format would be observed and would play out as usual. Games 2,3 at home for the #1 team, 4,5 on the road, etc. No home playoff dates lost.

This gives a tremendous added bonus to the team that finishes #1 by allowing them to begin their series up 1-0. It also creates some incredible playoff strategy between rounds and would lead to more interesting discussion.

Should both #1 teams meet in the Stanley Cup final, and both still having their automatic wins saved, the two will cancel each other out and the series will begin 0-0, not 1-1.

Why have it? I believe that the #1 team should have more to separate them from the #8 team than just home ice advantage.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks. I was going to hold onto my no for later, but I'll use it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's making me oddly dizzy staring at it.

Dog%20%20Hypnotist.gif

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not give out immunity idols during various games in the regular season? That way one of your playoff losses would be wiped away and a rematch would be in order.

The schedule makers (or their computers) will randomly chose one game on a team's schedule - that team win that game (doesn't matter in regulation, ot, or shootout), it gets an immunity idol for the playoffs.

If a team wins its immunity game, and makes the playoffs, it would be able to presumably use it when they get eliminated and get a rematch in the following day or two.

Fans love playoff hockey, this gives fans extra playoff games potentially.

Just as silly?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before every potential elimination game they could have a challenge where players from each team have to climb a tree and collect the most coconuts.

Whichever team wins is safe from elimination for that night.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about tag team playoffs. Every team gets to partner with a team not in the playoffs. We create a second set of benches and the captians or assist. Caps can tag their partners for a line change. It would mean teams like the CBJ would still be in the playoffs as a partner team. # 1 teams would get first pick. Teams that have been eliminated would not tank because they would want ro be picked by a high seeded team

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about tag team playoffs. Every team gets to partner with a team not in the playoffs. We create a second set of benches and the captians or assist. Caps can tag their partners for a line change. It would mean teams like the CBJ would still be in the playoffs as a partner team. # 1 teams would get first pick. Teams that have been eliminated would not tank because they would want ro be picked by a high seeded team

I liked it up until the end of the first sentence.

Was really hoping you were going to suggest professional wrestlers getting tagged in for the players.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I nominate this for "Shit on the OP's Opinion" thread of the year.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not give out immunity idols during various games in the regular season?

Only so many times you can hide it in the net before even guys like Alex Semin figure it out. "Alex, you find Idol?" "Yes, nyet!" Even in idol hunting, he remains enigmatic. :L

I nominate this for "Shit on the OP's Opinion" thread of the year.

The Hookie Awards note such a nomination/category. ;)

Yeah, it's a bad idea, but I give the OP points for balls/originality.