• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Format

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who can't stand the current NHL playoff format? Why can't they go back to the previous format where the top 8 in each conference make it and they're simply seeded 1-8?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you aren't. 2 division winners should be top two seeds, and then the next six are on record alone, no matter the division.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you aren't. 2 division winners should be top two seeds, and then the next six are on record alone, no matter the division.

Exactly! I understand the travel issues, but as long as the whole regular season traveling is improved and the way it is some teams have to travel to out of division opponents anyway then they should just stick to conference playoffs as a whole.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like it either. They should make it the top 8 OR make the divisions completely independent. Top 4 from each one and then go 1-4, 2-3 within each division and ultimately the 4 division winners are your conference finalists. Like they did back in the 80s. That built some serious rivalries.

And while we're at it can we just bring back the old names. Adams, Patrick, Smythe and Norris!!!

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who fucking likes it?

Is it in the sake of "Rivalry"?

NBCSN has already shat on that with their gimmick marketing.

BRUINS VS PENS ON NBCSN'S WEDNESDAY RIVALRY NIGHT...because they are both black and gold?

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was done for cost savings. By having the games be conference driven it cuts down on travel costs. Originally they didn't have wild cards for the same reason but because wild cards meant more teams with a chance late in the season so more tickets sold

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who can't stand the current NHL playoff format? Why can't they go back to the previous format where the top 8 in each conference make it and they're simply seeded 1-8?
That wasn't the format, though - the 3 division winners were seeded then 4-8 were based on merit. Part of the realignment argument was everybody was pissed watching 1 team in the SE division get a top 3 seed by beating up on the other 4 teams in that division that almost always sucked.

In addition, this realignment allowed the few teams in the middle of America to play more games in their evening hours and let Detroit move to the easier eastern conference where they would dominate and win the conference championship every year since they've moved, or at least the thinking went. Owners in places like Chicago, Dallas and Minny were pretty adamant for years that they were suffering because their hardcore, devoted, totally-not-bandwagoner fans wouldn't stay up late to watch them play games that started at 9:30 local time when they were out on the west coast so often (and that includes playoff play, which is a big reason we have the first two rounds as in-division rounds now).

My guess is it's probably going to be adjusted for next season with Vegas in the fold now, though how exactly remains to be seen.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't the format, though - the 3 division winners were seeded then 4-8 were based on merit. Part of the realignment argument was everybody was pissed watching 1 team in the SE division get a top 3 seed by beating up on the other 4 teams in that division that almost always sucked.

In addition, this realignment allowed the few teams in the middle of America to play more games in their evening hours and let Detroit move to the easier eastern conference where they would dominate and win the conference championship every year since they've moved, or at least the thinking went. Owners in places like Chicago, Dallas and Minny were pretty adamant for years that they were suffering because their hardcore, devoted, totally-not-bandwagoner fans wouldn't stay up late to watch them play games that started at 9:30 local time when they were out on the west coast so often (and that includes playoff play, which is a big reason we have the first two rounds as in-division rounds now).

My guess is it's probably going to be adjusted for next season with Vegas in the fold now, though how exactly remains to be seen.

That WAS the plan but then the unexpected happened. It turns out that:

OV >>>>>>> Applemaker

and

Real Crosby >>>>>>>>>> Young Crosby

I mean who could have seen THAT coming?!?! :noidea:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mind it at 1st but yeah they got to change it back. 1 vs. 8 was fun and produced some different matches every year. Now this year you run the risk of a Columbus, Washington, Pittsburgh being out in Round 1.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mind it at 1st but yeah they got to change it back. 1 vs. 8 was fun and produced some different matches every year. Now this year you run the risk of a Columbus, Washington, Pittsburgh being out in Round 1.

To be fair, by Columbus being Columbus, there's always a risk they are out of the first round.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know it wasn't 1-8 based only off points, but I meant that they were seeded 1-8 instead of two sets of 1-4.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm working a proposal, I'll try to get it done today. Should be cool, there will be some playoff play-in games.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wills wins in the bank be included?
That's top notch stuff but I am taking this seriously. I am tired of the playoffs not being good and exciting. My plan will make the playoffs great again, or attempt to.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's top notch stuff but I am taking this seriously. I am tired of the playoffs not being good and exciting. My plan will make the playoffs great again, or attempt to.

I'm with you!! As long as we can switch to pucks made of non-renewable coal. That'll get me back watching playoff hockey!!

That, and pussy grabbing. Lottssss of pussy grabbing.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hqdefault.jpg

(my quote feature not workin' (droppin' Gs, makin' language great again))

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And shockingly, we have the same problem rearing its head this year.

Its a shame that (arguably) the top 3 teams in the Wales Conference all reside in the Adams Division. One of TB, BOS or TOR will have to beat both of the other two in the first two rounds, just to beat down Crosby and then Vegas/Smashville for the Cup.