• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil needs to apologize and then withdraw

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using the rules to your advantage is one thing.
Intentionally breaking the rules is another.

The whole making fun of himself routine may have appeared fun at the time, but the truth of the matter is, he snapped.
Phil would have endeared himself to even his worst critics, if he would have said, what I did was not within the spirit of the game, and therefore I am withdrawing from the championship.

Snapped as in fuck it...yeah I think so...snapped as in lost his mind for a minute...IDT so.

I think he was fully aware of what he was doing...should've just fell on the sword and told the truth as to why he did it, if they DQ me so be it...point made.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he must have talked to his playing partner and mentioned that he had been thinking about it before doing it because the guy didn't seem all that surprised.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snapped as in fuck it...yeah I think so...snapped as in lost his mind for a minute...IDT so.

I think he was fully aware of what he was doing...should've just fell on the sword and told the truth as to why he did it, if they DQ me so be it...point made.

I think it was slightly more than, if not quite a bit more than fuck it.
We can look at what happened leading up to the moment, and examine his possible motive, but I think that would be sidestepping the real issue.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So under that reasoning we would lose the following:

Phil
That ginger race car driver I never heard of until the commercials
Jerry West
Wilford Brimley*
Oscar Robertson
Terry Bradshaw
Brett Favre

*Could already be dead when this was posted

Yes, every one of them sold their souls for money.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he must have talked to his playing partner and mentioned that he had been thinking about it before doing it because the guy didn't seem all that surprised.

He said something to the effect of, I don't know what they will give me.
Beef Johnston was laughing apologetically, saying sorry, I have never seen that before.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a penalty in the book for what Phil did and that penalty (2 strokes) was assessed. There is no reason why he should have withdrawn or been DQ'd.

The End.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was slightly more than, if not quite a bit more than fuck it.
We can look at what happened leading up to the moment, and examine his possible motive, but I think that would be sidestepping the real issue.

That could be true as well, but according to comments attributed to Phil, he's
felt like doing this (some type of action statement) at the Masters.

If his point was indeed some type of a protest of the conditions...I think his point would've been stronger had he just withdrew on the spot...and walked off the course.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a penalty in the book for what Phil did and that penalty (2 strokes) was assessed. There is no reason why he should have withdrawn or been DQ'd.

The End.
I hate agreeing with you.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could be true as well, but according to comments attributed to Phil, he's
felt like doing this (some type of action statement) at the Masters.

If his point was indeed some type of a protest of the conditions...I think his point would've been stronger had he just withdrew on the spot...and walked off the course.
Good points.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People getting stuffy over stupid shit is funny.

I also heard some hooligans knocked over a dustbin is Shaftesbury.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The End.

Yes, and no.

The rules committee apparently didn't think Phil's action was intentional...or they didn't want to think it was.

If deemed that he intentionally deflected or stopped a ball in mid flight or roll, rule 1-2 is in play....that's a DQ by rule.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People getting stuffy over stupid shit is funny.

I also heard some hooligans knocked over a dustbin is Shaftesbury.

It might seem trivial but for golfers, it was little shocking (at first), then funny when he marked it as if nothing happened after hitting the moving ball.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might seem trivial but for golfers, it was little shocking (at first), then funny when he marked it as if nothing happened after hitting the moving ball.

He broke a rule so he should suffer the consequences of such a thing.

But to be offended and outraged over it? It's not like he got away with it or anything. I could understand then.

And as far as anyone calling him a cheater and getting a better score because of it even with the penalty, if that is truly the case then that's more the course is fucked up. In the end, the rules were followed.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and no.

The rules committee apparently didn't think Phil's action was intentional...or they didn't want to think it was.

If deemed that he intentionally deflected or stopped a ball in mid flight or roll, rule 1-2 is in play....that's a DQ by rule.

If the rules committee had claimed that his action was an intentional breach of the rules and DQ'd Phil they would have left the USGA open to a shitstorm of criticism from pretty much every player in the tourney. As it was they were getting blasted by anyone who had a microphone put in front of them.

I realize that the U.S. Open is almost always set-up as if a masochist was given the keys to the course for a few months prior to the event and the players almost always leave the venue bitchin and moaning, but like many have already stated, the conditions and pin placements on Saturday combined to make a number of the holes borderline "unplayable" and by their (the USGA) own admission they screwed up and crossed the line.

Personally, I always enjoy watching the best golfers in the world struggle to make par and that makes the U.S. Open my favorite tournament of the year. I just happen to think that they went too far on Saturday.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He broke a rule so he should suffer the consequences of such a thing.

But to be offended and outraged over it? It's not like he got away with it or anything. I could understand then.

And as far as anyone calling him a cheater and getting a better score because of it even with the penalty, if that is truly the case then that's more the course is fucked up. In the end, the rules were followed.
I am more offended by his long hair.

Get a haircut, Phil!

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It also did not, in any way, affect the outcome of the tournament. He was sucking hind teat and had no chance of making it up to the top of the leaderboard, with or without that stunt

I also understand that some traditionalists like to think that there's an honor code in golf that surpasses anything else, and breaking that code is worse than raiping a juvenile, so therefore: he should be shot post-haste

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I alluded to before - a lot of folks will view this differently depending upon whether they like or hate Mickelson. Personally I am pretty neutral about the guy so I am fine w/ whatever happened. I just think that he handled this poorly in his post round interviews.

I truly believe that a lot of folks would view this differently if it were certain other golfers. Again depends who you like & don't like. Oh well - we live in a world w/ a short attn. span so a lot of this will be forgotten shortly & if Mickelson has some magical moments later in the year it will be forgotten even further.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rules committee had claimed that his action was an intentional breach of the rules and DQ'd Phil they would have left the USGA open to a shitstorm of criticism from pretty much every player in the tourney. As it was they were getting blasted by anyone who had a microphone put in front of them.

I realize that the U.S. Open is almost always set-up as if a masochist was given the keys to the course for a few months prior to the event and the players almost always leave the venue bitchin and moaning, but like many have already stated, the conditions and pin placements on Saturday combined to make a number of the holes borderline "unplayable" and by their (the USGA) own admission they screwed up and crossed the line.

Personally, I always enjoy watching the best golfers in the world struggle to make par and that makes the U.S. Open my favorite tournament of the year. I just happen to think that they went too far on Saturday.

It clearly was intentional...I don't think that part is in question...he didn't break into jog to mark it.

On the other players...I agree, but not to a man because there were players who wondered aloud why Phil was not DQ'd.

Conditions...with a SAT weather forecast in hand on Friday evening the USGA had a choice...put water on the course water or not. Idk what they actually did but the course played fine okay until the wind and sun dried out the course in the afternoon. So...if the USGA made a mistake it was the pin placements on maybe 3 holes...granted, that's enough to effect a tournament, but with wider FWs the USGA was not for blood imo.

2nd...apparently the players never got a practice round with the course at baked out speed and that Sat pin on 18...most guys were facing that putt from above the pin for the 1st time with baked out greens.

At the end of it...I think you're right, the USGA decided not to DQ Phil to basically not make the entire 2018 USO narrative about the course conditions. Lessor of two evils.