• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil needs to apologize and then withdraw

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil should have apologized but that was certainly no reason to withdraw.

I actually paused the TV to show wifey his non-apology.

"... if somebody's offended by that, I apologize to them. But toughen up

Don't fucking apologize if you don't want to Phil but you don't get credit for apologizing when in the next breath you defend your actions. Had he simply stopped the putt and marked it I could buy the strategy angle.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,643.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as big a fan i am of phil what he did was really messed up

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil should have apologized but that was certainly no reason to withdraw.

I actually paused the TV to show wifey his non-apology.

"... if somebody's offended by that, I apologize to them. But toughen up

Don't fucking apologize if you don't want to Phil but you don't get credit for apologizing when in the next breath you defend your actions. Had he simply stopped the putt and marked it I could buy the strategy angle.

Yep. His follow up actions reminded me of how JR Smith handled his blunder in the NBA Finals. Mickelson didn't need to apologize, but his explanation was just pure BS. Just either don't comment or come clean & say basically that he lost it on that hole (just like normal golfers do all of the time - no biggie). For him to suggest that his actions were some type of strategy to help him improve his score is laughable.

However I will give Mickelson credit for making fun of himself yesterday & celebrating his par on the same hole. He will be alright - it is basically just like every other famous golfer or athlete - those that like him will still continue to like him & those that don't like him will dislike him even more - oh well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil offered to withdraw after the 3rd round but tour officials deemed that wasn't necessary.

Then play on...bizarre and I had a feeling it was done more in protest of the set up.

Apparently the USGA saw it the same way.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. His follow up actions reminded me of how JR Smith handled his blunder in the NBA Finals. Mickelson didn't need to apologize, but his explanation was just pure BS. Just either don't comment or come clean & say basically that he lost it on that hole (just like normal golfers do all of the time - no biggie). For him to suggest that his actions were some type of strategy to help him improve his score is laughable.

However I will give Mickelson credit for making fun of himself yesterday & celebrating his par on the same hole. He will be alright - it is basically just like every other famous golfer or athlete - those that like him will still continue to like him & those that don't like him will dislike him even more - oh well.

That's just it...initially I thought Phil had lost his mind for a minute, but after thinking about it for a while longer...I think he was very cognizant of what he was doing and more of less telling the USGA the set up got away from them.

Interesting to hear 2 time winner Andy North's comments.

Paraphrasing...

For a sand based golf course on exposed land...wind, and sun control it more than other golf courses. There really is no way to maintain the same course conditions from the morning to the afternoon, but he felt the pin positions were just not in line with the conditions.

Even after responding to the Sat debacle (assuming the course got a lot of water Sat night)....only 15 players shot under par on Sunday.

His thoughts...don't comeback to Shinnecock.

IDT the USGA will give up one of their staples, but it was interesting to hear that from a 2 time winner.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using the rules to your advantage is one thing.
Intentionally breaking the rules is another.

The whole making fun of himself routine may have appeared fun at the time, but the truth of the matter is, he snapped.
Phil would have endeared himself to even his worst critics, if he would have said, what I did was not within the spirit of the game, and therefore I am withdrawing from the championship.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He stopped his ball to improve his score even with the penalty. Maybe next time he has his caddie lay the pin down so the ball can't go past the hole. Fucking cheater.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He stopped his ball to improve his score even with the penalty. Maybe next time he has his caddie lay the pin down so the ball can't go past the hole. Fucking cheater.
A serious blemish on his golfing legacy.

He should have withdrawn and apologized profusely.

Too late now.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger would never do this sort of thing.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did he need to withdraw?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So under that reasoning we would lose the following:

Phil
That ginger race car driver I never heard of until the commercials
Jerry West
Wilford Brimley*
Oscar Robertson
Terry Bradshaw
Brett Favre

*Could already be dead when this was posted

Don't forget Shaq, with his Icy Hot and Gold Bond commercials

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil didn't make a mockery out of the US Open. The USGA did.
Again.

They try their hardest to fuck it up every year.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil didn't make a mockery out of the US Open. The USGA did.
Again.

They try their hardest to fuck it up every year.
you mean because of the course?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with the course being a challenge to the best golfers in the world. There were times when it was a little ridiculous, but I don't think it was a mockery. It feels like every few years the US Open is played on some course and some conditions that own the players. I think I would rather see that then a -15 scorecard.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with the course being a challenge to the best golfers in the world. There were times when it was a little ridiculous, but I don't think it was a mockery. It feels like every few years the US Open is played on some course and some conditions that own the players. I think I would rather see that then a -15 scorecard.

I agree to a pt, but Sat was ridiculous. When you are even punishing players who make good shots then you have gone too far. The US Open officials after the round even admitted that they basically F'ed this up.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to a pt, but Sat was ridiculous. When you are even punishing players who make good shots then you have gone too far. The US Open officials after the round even admitted that they basically F'ed this up.
but how do you fix it? The course, in good conditions, was perfect. I guess it being on Long Island, you have to expect shit weather conditions like that and set the course up in it's easiest configuration for the day...this isn't Shinecock's first rodeo though. How many US Opens have they hosted now?