• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil needs to apologize and then withdraw

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When John Daly did this at Pinehurst everyone laughed. Phil hit a moving ball, accepted the penalty, and saved everyone around him time; to penalize him more than the rule calls for is a crazy thing to ask for.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When John Daly did this at Pinehurst everyone laughed. Phil hit a moving ball, accepted the penalty, and saved everyone around him time; to penalize him more than the rule calls for is a crazy thing to ask for.
Did Daly withdraw after doing it?

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daly shot 83 and did not withdraw.

His comments:
It's not worth it. This is my last U.S. Open -- ever," Daly said. "I've had it with the USGA and the way they run their tournaments. The USGA loves to embarrass guys who play in their tournaments.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chambers Bay was the worst. Forget about the players bitching about it - the tourney was almost unwatchable. You could hardly see the ball most of the time. Just a bad experience.

Chambers bay had bumpy greens ..that's it. It was a fantastic venue. An old rock quarry turned into a links course. They are in the process of redoing their greens which probably was based on a promise by the USGA that if they fixed them they would come back.

Unwatchable? Rory making a charge on Sunday with DJ & Jordan battling it out followed by one of the biggest chokes in golf history? What do you need ..a knife fight on 18?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saved everyone time? that is just REACHING for some way to categorize this as a good thing

that's like saying a batter swung at the first 3 pitches to end the game regardless of where they are because he knew the game was out of reach and wanted to end so everyone could beat traffic.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the U.S Open. And if Phil couldn't handle it, he could have walked off the course.

And to all the golf fans who criticized Lexi Thompson, Dustin Johnson, and Tiger Woods....where are you now?
Phil offered to withdraw after finishing the 3rd round but the USGA determined it was worthy of only a 2 stroke penalty.

I never criticized Thompson, Johnson or Woods so what's your point?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chambers bay had bumpy greens ..that's it. It was a fantastic venue. An old rock quarry turned into a links course. They are in the process of redoing their greens which probably was based on a promise by the USGA that if they fixed them they would come back.

Unwatchable? Rory making a charge on Sunday with DJ & Jordan battling it out followed by one of the biggest chokes in golf history? What do you need ..a knife fight on 18?
Last year's US Open at Erin Hills was a much better tournament in my opinion.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not about asking for anything. Rule 1-2 was clearly breached....and the penalty is disqualification.

Phil offered to withdraw. The USGA chose not to accept it, or DQ Phil (on the grounds that they deemed it was not intentional) imo because they had already heard plenty of player and announcer rumblings about the setup. DQ'ing a player the magnitude of Phil Mickelson would've made the tournament more about the conditions. They simply did not want that.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about asking for anything. Rule 1-2 was clearly breached....and the penalty is disqualification.

Phil offered to withdraw. The USGA chose not to accept it, or DQ Phil (on the grounds that they deemed it was not intentional) imo because they had already heard plenty of player and announcer rumblings about the setup. DQ'ing a player the magnitude of Phil Mickelson would've made the tournament more about the conditions. They simply did not want that.
Well the tournament was still criticized for the conditions. I thought it was a terrible venue and very unfair to the players.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there for the opening round and I had fun. For the fans the biggest problem was you couldn't follow a group because the only way to get from hole to hole is through the fairway. So what people did is basically camp out in a spot and watch groups go through. I liked it because you could hang out at the tee box and watch a bunch of people swing drivers, hang out in the right spot of the fairway and watch people hit irons for the approach, or hang out by a green and watch people go through and putt.

But the biggest things were the record dry month going into it, the record heat wave during it, and the pig-headed USGA not letting them water the greens. The course obviously wasn't ready but there was a lot of bad luck that was involved in what happened as well. They're in the process of rebuilding the greens right now so if there's ever another tournament there it should look a bit better.

Yep - I could see it being fun in person & really going to any major in person is probably a good experience. I was referring more to watching it on TV. If you can't even really see the action might as well listen to it on radio.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the tournament was still criticized for the conditions. I thought it was a terrible venue and very unfair to the players.

Indeed it was (in that regard I think Phil accomplished what he set out to do w/o getting DQ'd)...and I understand those are your opinions...I don't share them entirely. I think Shinnecock is an incredibly tough golf course. The FWs were plenty wide enough. If you missed them par should be a challenge and it was. Yes, Sat conditions created two different courses and clearly (in hindsight) they should've been more conservative with maybe 3 flags.

The USGA is in a tough spot if you ask me...if the setup every day was like it was on Sunday and -12 won...you'd have a segment of people that would say it wasn't USO tough. The next year we know damn well they (USGA) will respond. None of the other major entities want to see their host course blitzed by the players, but they don't really have to deal with that...if -15 wins the Masters because it rained a lot and the greens were soft...that's what it was...the next year it could be cold and windy and -6 wins...it is what it is.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I recall about Chambers Bay was most cosmetic...didn't realize they lost that setup as well.

If you look it up you will see complaints from the players mainly about the condition of the greens - perhaps not as bad as the complaints this year. Oh well.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfair to anyone specifically? I hope that folks don't believe that perhaps Johnson would have won if the conditions were different. I just think that - with one notable exception - this guy jumps out to leads in majors & then somehow collapses regardless of the conditions. Maybe he will figure this out moving fwd, but I would not bank on it.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daly shot 83 and did not withdraw.

His comments:
It's not worth it. This is my last U.S. Open -- ever," Daly said. "I've had it with the USGA and the way they run their tournaments. The USGA loves to embarrass guys who play in their tournaments.

Well, it was the final round. 10 More holes and he would be drinking again anyway.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed it was (in that regard I think Phil accomplished what he set out to do w/o getting DQ'd)...and I understand those are your opinions...I don't share them entirely. I think Shinnecock is an incredibly tough golf course. The FWs were plenty wide enough. If you missed them par should be a challenge and it was. Yes, Sat conditions created two different courses and clearly (in hindsight) they should've been more conservative with maybe 3 flags.

The USGA is in a tough spot if you ask me...if the setup every day was like it was on Sunday and -12 won...you'd have a segment of people that would say it wasn't USO tough. The next year we know damn well they (USGA) will respond. None of the other major entities want to see their host course blitzed by the players, but they don't really have to deal with that...if -15 wins the Masters because it rained a lot and the greens were soft...that's what it was...the next year it could be cold and windy and -6 wins...it is what it is.

The USGA is in a tough spot.

I understand for a sustainable product guys hacking out of the rough all of the time is not really the best thing.
But shit, we really need at least 1 American event that has a heavy penalty for not keeping it in the fairway.

That alone will separate it from the rest. They just don't need to have 14 greens that don't hold the ball on 75% of the surface.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it their egos that make them whine and cry?

It's an even playing field, don't understand why guys who play golf for a living have an issue with difficult play.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - I could see it being fun in person & really going to any major in person is probably a good experience. I was referring more to watching it on TV. If you can't even really see the action might as well listen to it on radio.

Like I said, it was a perfect storm. This is what the course should look like:

You will notice that there's actual green. I was there opening round and everything was brown. I put my hand down to the fairway and it was harder than the mats at the driving range. If they had it here this year then I'm sure the response would have been a little bit different. The greens would still have sucked (they're rebuilding them after the open fiasco and it's still a couple of years out before they're going to be open again) but it would have looked more like a golf course. Let's face it. You don't build a golf course in the PNW to handle dry conditions because you don't see that very often. I've never played there but I was talking to someone that was playing in some pretty heavy rain and when it subsided the course was fine because it drains so well naturally.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chambers Bay was the worst. Forget about the players bitching about it - the tourney was almost unwatchable. You could hardly see the ball most of the time. Just a bad experience.

Chambers Bay was a farce. It's a ridiculous golf course regardless of the setup. They ruined a perfectly good rock quarry, imo. Shinnecock Hills is a top 5 layout. I'm sure they'll keep coming back to it.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chambers Bay was a farce. It's a ridiculous golf course regardless of the setup. They ruined a perfectly good rock quarry, imo. Shinnecock Hills is a top 5 layout. I'm sure they'll keep coming back to it.

I have no doubt that Chambers Bay will be a part of the USGA's rotation for the US Open.
It's already part if golf history which is usually a big part of the network broadcast like to play up. A history that I'm sure DJ would like to forget but history none the less.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The USGA is in a tough spot.

I understand for a sustainable product guys hacking out of the rough all of the time is not really the best thing.
But shit, we really need at least 1 American event that has a heavy penalty for not keeping it in the fairway.

That alone will separate it from the rest. They just don't need to have 14 greens that don't hold the ball on 75% of the surface.

I think part of the misnomer about defending par is 8,000 yd golf courses....for me...I loved Merion.

It played a shade under 7000 yds, but tough as nails...but because they don't have room for all of the hospitality, corporate blah, blah, blah...it might be awhile before they go back there.

I don't mind graduated heavy rough off the fairways...the worst the shot the more it's penalized...but I don't like heavy rough 5' off the green and the ONLY play is a lofted wedge, hope and a prayer. I think they should consult with past players like Jack on the setups and at least get some input from guys that played in majors.