• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Jackson Being Shown the Door

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting that he is officially gone. (Sportscenter 8:30 am 6/28/2017)

CBS Sports.com 6/28/2017
It looks like New York Knicks president Phil Jackson's job isn't as secure as previously thought. Despite many public proclamations that Jackson will remain in charge until the end of his contract, Knicks owner James Dolan is reportedly expected to part ways with Jackson "early Wednesday morning," according to ESPN's Ramona Shelbune.

The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski, who first reported that Dolan was weighing Jackson's future, amended his report to note that the Dolan-Jackson "partnership could end as soon as Wednesday."

In a series of tweets, Shelburne noted that the Knicks have decided not to buy out star forward Carmelo Anthony, which "accelerated" conversations between Dolan and Jackson as Jackson has made it clear he wanted to move on from Melo.

Back in April, it was reported that New York picked up the option on the rest of Jackson's contract, which runs through the end of the 2018-19 season.

From The Vertical:

No final decision had been made on Jackson's future late Tuesday night, but Dolan is harboring uncertainties about how much longer to commit to Jackson as the organization's top basketball decision-maker, league sources told The Vertical.

Dolan has become increasingly concerned about Jackson's fitness for the job and the long-term prospects of success for the franchise, especially in the aftermath of Jackson entertaining trades for Kristaps Porzingis, the franchise's 21-year-old burgeoning star, league sources told The Vertical.

Jackson's tenure with the Knicks has been marked by the sort of dysfunction that his arrival was supposed to end. The Charles Oakley incident wasn't his fault, but the Carmelo Anthony saga has harmed his reputation, and his decision to go after veterans like Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah has set the franchise back.

Jackson spoke openly about moving Anthony and building something new, but the would-be franchise player, Kristaps Porzingis, is unhappy with the organization and was recently made available in trade talks, which Jackson discussed in a television interview. With free agency around the corner, Anthony reportedly seeking a buyout and Porzingis a fan of Anthony, it is entirely unclear what the team might look like next season.

Aside from the Oakley fiasco and his feud with a season-ticket holder, Dolan has mostly stayed out of the spotlight since Jackson arrived. In a way, regardless of how bad it has been, Jackson has served as a somewhat effective shield from criticism. Now, with all the angst and frustration about the state of the franchise, it sounds like Dolan finally feels obligated to take another look at its leadership. And hey, if a change is made, maybe New York's relationships with Anthony and Porzingis can be repaired.

There are two years and $24 million left on the contract of the 71-year-old Jackson. He has spent the last three years running the Knicks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson was an unmitigated disaster. If it were anything other team he would be viewed as their worst GM of all time. But with the Knicks, he needs to get in line.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just makes no sense, or should I say, it makes Knicks sense, that he would have been allowed to operate the draft, and draft a kid purely on the basis that he fits the triangle, when now the triangle has gone ba bye

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just makes no sense, or should I say, it makes Knicks sense, that he would have been allowed to operate the draft, and draft a kid purely on the basis that he fits the triangle, when now the triangle has gone ba bye

Yeah that is a huge head scratcher to me.

I feel like I'm going to hear a lot of my Knick fan friends saying "We coulda had Dennis Smith but drafted that French dud instead" for a long time.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that is a huge head scratcher to me.

I feel like I'm going to hear a lot of my Knick fan friends saying "We coulda had Dennis Smith but drafted that French dud instead" for a long time.

Agreed, or Malik Monk, one or the other

I dont claim to be an expert on foreign players, but call me "not blown away" by a kid averaging 5.6 points in Strausburg

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, or Malik Monk, one or the other

I dont claim to be an expert on foreign players, but call me "not blown away" by a kid averaging 5.6 points in Strausburg

Yeah. I get he's really young and that the French league may be tougher than the NCAA but 5.6 points is still not a lot of points. And given that it sounds like his athleticism is not elite, it seems like a really not great choice.

Even if he does turn into a good pro, it is hard to see the Knicks being willing to wait 4-5 years for that to happen.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I get he's really young and that the French league may be tougher than the NCAA but 5.6 points is still not a lot of points. And given that it sounds like his athleticism is not elite, it seems like a really not great choice.

Even if he does turn into a good pro, it is hard to see the Knicks being willing to wait 4-5 years for that to happen.

Fran Francilla has a habit of shining the best light on these foreign kids, and even his excitement about that kid was tempered

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timberwolves fans: "At least we're not the Knicks!"

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timberwolves fans: "At least we're not the Knicks!"

The Wolves are actually trying to do something. And they occasionally win trades, like last week.

They don't trade 1st round draft picks for highly over rated Italian centers that can't play center. Or sign over the hill players to 4 year deals that they can never get out from under.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wolves are actually trying to do something. And they occasionally win trades, like last week.

They don't trade 1st round draft picks for highly over rated Italian centers that can't play center. Or sign over the hill players to 4 year deals that they can never get out from under.

The Noah deal, and the Calderon move are on the Mount Shitmore of Phil jacksons' tenure

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go away, Jimmy.

He watched Ujiri fleece the Knicks and figures he must be really good.

The question is whether Ujiri can do anything when he can't fleece the Knicks.

The track record of the Knicks hiring former Raptors GMs isn't great.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Noah deal, and the Calderon move are on the Mount Shitmore of Phil jacksons' tenure

Yeah. Really the only good thing he did was draft Porzingas. And tried to screw that up as well.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Really the only good thing he did was draft Porzingas. And tried to screw that up as well.

Yup, and lets be honest, should anyone really fuck up the 4th pick in the draft?

I know it happens, but odds of landing a good player there, are strongly in your favor, you and I could have swung that one

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Is he a talented guy?
I think he's done pretty well here. Some things could've been done better but I don't know who would've taken the job and done so.

It's just a shitty time to lose him - his replacement was just poached by the Magic, they've surely been in talks with teams and highlighted players to go after, they've drafted with a philosophy...it would really hurt the team's structure at a bad time. I wouldn't hold him leaving against him but I'd be afraid for the future.

The track record of the Knicks hiring former Raptors GMs isn't great.
:lol: